SL/R129: W129 SL 600 hydraulic suspension advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SL600
W129 SL 600 hydraulic suspension advice

Hi All,

Im not sure if im in the right forum.. since i cant find W129. is W129 the same as R129?

if im in the wrong forum, appreciate if anyone can direct me.

Anwyay, i got the W129, 1993 SL600 model. i would like to get advice if the hydraulic suspension accumulator is actually the air cell accumulator? (ive been searching the net and its been showing me air cell accumulator) and i was told there are 2 pieces at the front absorbers and 2 pieces at the back absorbers that needs to be replaced..which i have repalced it 2 years++ ago and my car front height is awfully quite high and they (the mechanic) says the accumulator is jammed.

This thing started to happen when i didnt drive it for months and only started the engine once eveyr 2-3 weeks... Now i regret not driving it regularly... ahha. oh well, thanks in advance for any replies. cheers and happy new year.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
You are in the correct forum.
The sphere's are nitrogen filled with a membrane that separates the hydraulic fluid that gushes against the flexible surface to add a greater dynamic to the 600's suspension. each damper has a sphere, front are behind the plastic fender liner near the feet of driver and passenger. The rear are within the rear axle box, but access for removal also requires trunk exposure.
My experience is two replacements in 20 years. the membranes goes bad and fluid level goes down in the tank near the windscreen washer tank. If you are adding fluid and there is no pool of fluid on the floor, your spheres need replacement!
Our generation of 600 has an adjustment bolt that can raise or lower the cars height. The adjustment is mechanical, well suited if you have a lift. it is located in the hydraulic manifold, near the exhaust on the passenger side ( USA build ). The belly plastic shield has to be removed to access. After you adjust the lever restart the car and give it time to level up.
I keep the car near the top of the travel, so that parking stops don't scrape the front end. Others like it lower to be cool. I'm so past that effort!
Where in the world are you??? another benzworld might have additional help. GUSMB from finland can also give excellent insight into the ride suspension and wiring nightmares.
Good luck and Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2016, 08:40 PM

Mercedes SL600
Hi srh,

Wow tahnks for the detailed response. I see, there are four accumulators... what?u only replaced it after 20 years? I think i replaced mine only 2 years ago... or the mechanic ripped me off. Haha.. how can you tell which one is still working fine or not? U mentioned if i refill and if it doesnt leak..then i need to replace it? Where does the leak comes from? Is it from Individual spheres?

About the height, i didnt adjust it.. it suddenly when in full height... after the ads light went on ( mention i didnt use the car for months).. and some mechanic told me, its bcos of the accumulator is not good... that its jammed and stuck at that height. Thats why i want to make sure if thats the problem and to change all the spheres. Should i bleed out all the hydraulicfluid and refill new? Or just replace all of it? When the spheres are changed.. shouldnt then the height get back to the normal height? Or we have to adjust it manually?

Im from brunei. Yeah.. the wire harness has been changed.. yeap these suspensions..one.of the best suspension ive ever experienced... i have in mind to convert to normal suspension but the feel is to good and il try to fix these spheres first. I also got an sec600.... had some problem with the ASR.. imma try post that on other thread. Anway, thanks and appreciate your advice.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Sorry for the lack of clarity.
The 600 is on its third set. I find they last ( in Kansas ) about 15 years. The membrane leaks, breaks or something??? the fluid flows into the spheres.
An accident caused the replacement of the first set of rear spheres. When I add fluid to the plastic tank it has always been a sign of the spheres leaking. I have never had the tubing break except with the deer strike accident, in which care the deer carcass was rolled under the 600 and antlers, bones and ?? clip tires and hydraulic lines thus I had a leak that drained the hydraulic system. The pump continued to pump but not with a full load! In rebuilding the system I asked the mechanic to set the system lower. after two years of bumper rash I took the car to my work barn ( i have a lift and storage for several project vehicles ) and adjusted the setting and elevated the body about 2 inches. I think the system is worthy of the effort, but many in the two benzworld forums have not felt the cost was worthwhile.
My system changes the ride height ( down ) when the car is in cruise control and at highway speed. It even reacts to the slight lip from driveway to garage floor. The system is very much like the Rolls/ Bentley of the early 90's
I am unsure if the nitrogen sphere can elevate the car or even get "stuck" It is just a bounce system with no valves. A malfunction in the hydraulic manifold can leave the vehicle with one side high while the others are lower, so if ride height adjustment doesn't improve things then I would evaluate the pump and manifold.
Good luck
Old 01-03-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
There are not really a good way to find which ones are bad. When a membrane ruptures, one of two things will happen; either the car rides like a go-cart with absolutely no suspension (either front or rear depending on which one is defective) or it gets very bouncy due to gas in the oil.

Assume that one has ruptured, you will see one of those behaviors in the front or rear of the car. Since the spheres should be changes in pairs, you will need to replace either the front or rear.

Last edited by sgaar; 01-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 PM

2001 SL600
I am new to this so I would greatly appreciate ANY advice you have to give good bad or in different. Anyway I want to move to 19" wheels on my 2001 Sl600. Does anyone know what is the maximum tire size I can use on both the front and rear without rubbing? I also do not want to use spacers. Also does anyone know the off set of the stock wheels? They are 18x8.5 in front and 18x9.5 in the rear. I am hoping go go to 255/35/19 front and 295/30/19 rear please advise much appreciated.