SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: common problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question common problems

I just wanted to get a brief poll of common problems that you might have had with your 500sl. I am looking to get one but have had people tell me to get other cars(ie nsx, porsche).
I have talked to the local dealer part guy and have trying to get info about the car. I have not gotten to talk to him about the top and trans,engine. I love the classic lines of the SL. I need to get input on the subject and if anyone has any input on running cost of the car.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice after owning 5 SLs: get a post 1996 (with new electronic ignition, etc.) with less than 60k, with good service history, and you will have NO problems. They are great automobiles!
Rich G.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Richard is right about the service history. A well-maintained model R129 will definitely 'go the distance'. I own two of 'em and love 'em (although I'm selling the SL500 'cause the wife wanted a more 'utilitarian' vehicle). Buying a used one can be a crap shoot, so have it checked out thoroughly by a dealer. Mine needed some work, but I knew that when I got 'em and I accepted that.

You don't mention what year are considering. The newer models are technologically better, as one would expect. Mid-90's (which are mine) have seen ADS problems (SL600) and general neglect (SL500). But since I knew of the issues up-front, at time of purchase, the selling price was... shall we say... fair. Also, depending on year and condition, the canvas top may/probably have to be replaced, as well. Replacing these can be pricey to find a reputable shop to replace it right.

If you love the "classic lines" of the model, wait until you drive down a San Antonio thoroughfare on a bright, sunny day with the top down. Best 'mental health' available. But definitely have the car checked out first!