SL/R129: R129 Distributor Cap Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 E-320 26k miles '91 500SL 26k miles
R129 Distributor Cap Replacement

Please help

My '91 500SL is in need of distributor cap replacements. Has anyone out there completed this task? Is this a possible do-it-yourself job?

Will someone please describe what's involved detailing possible critical steps. How much time might be involved?

Also, where's the best place to go for the parts. Thank you much!

Spin

'91 129 27K
'97 210 27K
Old 03-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SL
Distributor Caps - Rotor Replacement

My rotors and distributor caps were recently replaced at an authorized MB dealer:

The car engine was rough at idle and was told the parts above were corroded, and needed to be replaced: 2 Rotors $ 69.88 a piece, 2 Distributors Caps $ 178.45 a piece - Labor $ 200 for two hours to install.

The problem continued, and now was told that 11 different hoses were old and "cracked", somehow the hoses decided to simultaneously fail at the same time and would need to be replaced; Repair estimate $ 800.00. I told them I had the same hoses in question replaced less than 6 months ago my an independent repair facility; Total Cost for parts & labor $ 292.00

I got ripped off big time, I no longer trust the MB dealers, year past they were honest on repairs needed and a even though they were more expensive that independent repair facilities they did the correct diagnose work, but pressure for higher profits have diminished their ability to be less that forthcoming on actual repairs that are necessary.

It turns out the parts were not the culprit, an independent MB repair shop found the problem to be a defective fuel injector replaced at less than $ 100.

If the rotors $ distributors are the problem you can purchase all the require parts via internet sites for less that $ 200.00 and ask an independent repair facility to install them. The parts are the same manufacturer and supplied to Mercedes Benz – Bosch.

Try a good independent repair shop that specialized on MB, their overhead is a fraction of the dealer, and many of owners are former trained MB trained mechanics that ventured on their own and provide the same if not better service the Authorized dealers.