SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: AUX fans don't come on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SL500 R129 1995
AUX fans don't come on

Hi; I purchased the 1995 year SL500 model last year and have had my thrills with it, especially after finding out that local merc representatives have had me replacing the MAF with no luck but I have later found out that this car has probpably been running on filters installed at factory Just replaced them all and a fuelpump which started leaking after touching the fuel filter, only the oxygen sensor remaining which I aim to do on monday. The engine had problems with running, got hot, all those I have fixed by replacing all the necessary parts. Now after I have found a better diagnostic I know that my aux fans never turn on but they should. Car still produces cold but as I live in area where it's rarely over 20 celsius this had not been a big problem- still it is for me as it's broken. The fans turn and when I connect them to another battery via the connector behind the front light they ran and it was pretty obvious by the amount of dust in there that they have been like that for ages.

Can anyone point me to the wiring diagram? The fuses in the fusebox are ok but the fans never receive current and the pump keeps turning on and off. No fault codes I could clearly see at the hvac module diagnostics, too. All the temperatures were ok. I guess I have to follow the leads, I understand there is an extra relay for aux fans in the relay box? I only checked the pump one and it was ok.

Sven.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:52 AM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by SvenF
...I live in area where it's rarely over 20 celsius...
Are any of the conditions being met for the fans to run? They switch on if the engine coolant temperature reaches 100 degrees Celsius or if the A/C is on and either the outside temperature is greater than 30 degrees or the refrigerant pressure exceeds 30 PSI.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SL500 R129 1995
Originally Posted by bobterry99
Are any of the conditions being met for the fans to run? They switch on if the engine coolant temperature reaches 100 degrees Celsius or if the A/C is on and either the outside temperature is greater than 30 degrees or the refrigerant pressure exceeds 30 PSI.
Hi, thanks for the reply - outside temperature and engine coolant are definetly lower - 20 and 86 degrees Celsius but I guess the pressure gets high as the pump engades and disengades very frequently. I did not know to check the actual pressure but I was told it's ok and there are no leaks. Also added coloured lubricant.

Sven.