SL/R129: clicking sound at low speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 SL500 Sport
clicking sound at low speed

Hey everyone,

First post here. The search didn't yield quite the results that match what I think I'm hearing. I've got a 2000 SL500 sport. Just today I started to hear a clicking sound that increases in pitch as speed increases from a stop. It goes away above 20mph or so. Driving at normal speed sounds quiet like normal. Similar thing happens as I near a stop. At low speed the whine reduces in pitch down to a clicking.

I'm assuming perhaps there's a bearing going bad or something weird in the diff, at a worst case scenario? Or there's something catching at low speed but being pushed off whatever moving part as speed increases? I dunno.

Anyone else experienced this?

(Pic attached because everyone like car pics)
Attached Thumbnails clicking sound at low speed-sl500macon.jpg  
Old 10-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 SL500 Sport
Update: speed sensitive audio input. Apparently the wire that controls that input into the aftermarket stereo the previous owner installed is acting up. The ticking sound is coming from the amplifier right behind the seat, which made sense because I didn't hear any external noise when I roll down the windows. Solution is to trace the wire back to the stereo and disconnect it until I get a better unit installed.

Hurray for an inexpensive solution.