SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Rear hard top latches will not engage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 500sl, 1977 sl350
Rear hard top latches will not engage.

My hard top is not latching completely on a 97 sl500. I just purchased the car and everything was working properly. Cycled several times before i bought it. I tried taking the hard top off today and believe i might have not done the sequence correctly. I can't be sure but I might have pressed the button forward after it was unlatched completely. When the hard top was removed I tried to put the top up but the tonnue will not pop up. I can hear the pump going and the windows and roll bar functions are going. I then tried to put the hard top back on, everything latches properly on the windshield and door posts but the rear will not suck the top down. Its like the rear latches are stuck or out of cycle with the rest of the operations or stuck in a closed position?
Any ideas?
thank you
Old 04-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
Have your tried the manual operation as is listed in the owner's manual? There is a tool included in the tool kit that will unlock the cover and can be used to manually operate the hydraulic cylinder latches. Sounds like the latches are oin the closed position and need to be opened with the tool.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
In my past operations of the hard top, the straight locking tabs got bent and didn't address the latches properly.
Once properly aligned the top settled to closure, and the cycle completed.
Lucky Dollar is right to have you check the latch position. The hand tool and manual can get that issue sorted.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
Same Issue

Originally Posted by SRHsl600
In my past operations of the hard top, the straight locking tabs got bent and didn't address the latches properly.
Once properly aligned the top settled to closure, and the cycle completed.
Lucky Dollar is right to have you check the latch position. The hand tool and manual can get that issue sorted.
I had the same issue with the bent locking tabs as well, after installing a new soft top. They were easily positioned back in place. This thing has been a money pit, to include all rebuilt hydraulics and a new soft top (all self-installed at the price of newly-invented swear words and lost tools). BUT, it sure is fun to drive!