SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: convertable top won't release from windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002Sl 500
convertable top won't release from windshield

2002 SL 500, there is not any leaking solenoids, however min level on hydraulic fluid, purchased from MSB and filled to top level line.
Issue I released hard top without any issues and removed. Put up convertible and it stopped halfway up and wouldn't go up or down. I had my wife push button with car running and gently pushed top to close once top hit hydraulic hole it was sucked down as normal. That is when I filled reservoir. How do I get the top to release?
Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Not sure where you are at in world or top position.
The RST motion if halted in transition would lead me to check the bow sensor ( part of the top hydraulic system )
With the extra muscle, at least the hydraulics worked to latch the soft top and cover? So I would try to re settle the soft top in the car. With following the owners manual I would pull the button back and listen for latch sounds! Maybe the fluid added to the tank in the trunk under the spare tire has restored the full pump pressure! The soft top control system however could still not properly cycled ( since you forced the system and it my not have completed all the steps the brain would normally direct )
Your year has a OBDII port and a dealer can easily tell you exactly what has not functioned properly.
The top latches both windscreen area and the back cover can be locked and unlocked with a thin metal open end spanner wrench and 5 or 6 mm hex wrench, one of these two ended devices is in the tool kit.