SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: keys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 sl500
keys

99 sl I know the keys are on backorder but does anybody know if a locksmith can make a copy?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl500
keys

I'm in the same situation; I went to the MB dealer and the parts manager gave me a tech bulletin and told me to call MBUSA.

I've called MBUSA (1-800367-9372) explained the situation and told me a "manager" would call me back. Still waiting for the call.....

I'll be calling MBUSA each day and see what happens - I suggest you do the same. I also have the emails addr of the 2 Supply Chain Managers at MBUSA - I will start emailing them each day as well.

I'm kind of stunned with the Customer Service that I have received so far AND the fact that getting a spare key is so difficult.

I thought that there was a federal law which forces car manufacturers to keep spares on hand for X number of years.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

BTW - it's not that the keys are back-ordered, the tech bulletin says "discontinued".
Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
R129/SL500
I have been posting and telling people about this for months. I have even had a respected member here tell me This would not happen and when I showed him others in this situation I was told be patient or donate the car and buy something else. Some people don't realize how many this affects. If they cant get keys they should disable the DAS (drive authorization system) so we can use regular keys?

I keep telling everyone to contact their local MB dealers, MBUSA (1-800367-9372), and anyone else they can find to contact CEOs etc!!

I believe there is a locksmith in New York and another in CA that can make keys. If this is not resolved by the spring I will probably seek out the NY locksmith 4 hours away. I believe they are Cobra Locksmith?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 AM

sl500
keys

I contacted MBUSA again this morning; They assured me that a "manager" would contact me today.

I live in NJ, MBUSA corporate is located in north NJ - I will be taking a trip up there if I don't get a satisfactory answer from the manager.

I also have the Carfax for my car, so I will try to find the previous owner and try to locate the spare key.

So what was MB's plan B ? I can't understand that a company would leave it's customers in such a position.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM

R129/SL500
Here is another discussion!

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...lp-needed.html
Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM

R129/SL500
Post some of the contact info you have found (Or PM if you prefer?)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:28 AM

1999 sl500
keys

Yep that's what they told me after they took my vin they told me someone would call me back within 24 hrs,
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM

1999 sl500
keys

Ok I called cobra locksmith in NY and he said that he can make the keys, about $250
Old 09-19-2017, 12:17 PM

R129/SL500
Originally Posted by jpnascar
Ok I called cobra locksmith in NY and he said that he can make the keys, about $250
Please please let me know how you make out as they are my next option
Old 09-20-2017, 06:17 PM

sl500
Keys - update

Finally spoke to a manager at MBUSA and he told me the following:

MB is aware of the situation and is working diligently looking for an alternate supplier for the keys. MB has not timeline for a resolution at the moment but advises owners to contact their local parts manager each month to assess if the keys are again available.

Not sure if he was blowing smoke up my *ss but I find it incredulous that a company like MB could treat its customers in such a manner. Essentially there are a lot of 4,000 lb paper weights out there.

I have the contact info for the 2 BMUSA supply chain managers - I will publish their addresses when I get back home. I encourage everyone to send them emails each day/week and light a fire under their chair to solve this problem.

I will also call 3 locksmiths in NYC who advertize that they can duplicate any MB keys.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 PM

1999 sl500
KEYS{ A ANSWER}

OK so i went to a dealer and the guy who did some checking about the keys will be back monday but the other parts man told me that they found out that MB is releasing the patent for the keys and a licenced locksmith will now be able to get the code or whatever it is and with proper paperwork they will be able to make these keys, I am going to call monday to see if he has a list of locksmiths. I am in CT but i will post further info when i get it, WHY couldnt MB tell me this when they called me back?????
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 PM

R129/SL500
Originally Posted by jpnascar
OK so i went to a dealer and the guy who did some checking about the keys will be back monday but the other parts man told me that they found out that MB is releasing the patent for the keys and a licenced locksmith will now be able to get the code or whatever it is and with proper paperwork they will be able to make these keys, I am going to call monday to see if he has a list of locksmiths. I am in CT but i will post further info when i get it, WHY couldnt MB tell me this when they called me back?????

Very interested in what you find out. It could all be smoke and mirrors to keep us patient? Good luck to you (and us)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:33 AM

sl500
The run around

Another month has gone by and still no word from MB regarding the situation with the keys;

I contacted MBUSA - they told me to check with MB Parts each month to get the latest status
MB Parts told me to contact MBUSA.
I contacted MBUSA Logistics manager - he told me to contact MBUSA
I contacted MB Supply Parts Manager - standard answer

"Our lock and key department is still working on it to the best of my knowledge. They will get a copy of this email. Thanks again for your continued patience"

Looks like a classic case of "pass the buck";

So last week I misplaced my one and one key................. luckily I found it later.

I can't believe that a company like MB can not answer 2 questions:
What is the time line to resolve this situation?
What is MB's plan if an owner loses all keys to the car?
Old 10-21-2017, 04:28 PM

R129/SL500
Originally Posted by fitznj
Another month has gone by and still no word from MB regarding the situation with the keys;

I contacted MBUSA - they told me to check with MB Parts each month to get the latest status
MB Parts told me to contact MBUSA.
I contacted MBUSA Logistics manager - he told me to contact MBUSA
I contacted MB Supply Parts Manager - standard answer

"Our lock and key department is still working on it to the best of my knowledge. They will get a copy of this email. Thanks again for your continued patience"

Looks like a classic case of "pass the buck";

So last week I misplaced my one and one key................. luckily I found it later.

I can't believe that a company like MB can not answer 2 questions:
What is the time line to resolve this situation?
What is MB's plan if an owner loses all keys to the car?
We need to keep hounding MBNA, and our local dealers at least monthly. I have even posted this on other non MB forums because many who own these cars are unaware and don't frequent the forums! I have even tried to find contact info for Jay Leno. It seems he has a long standing relationship with Mercedes Benz. Remember folks the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There was a member here that had no keys and joined looking for help and was unhappy to hear about the situation. I had contacted him a couple of times to see if he had found a solution. The last time I had contacted him he had not. There is a locksmith in NY (Cobra locksmith) who says they can make keys. And I talked to another in RI that said they remove the DAS and can read the codes and write them to a new key. If you don't have a cut key it would probably be even more difficult. I had a local locksmith make me a couple of non chipped keys that work in all the locks but just won't start the car.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 PM

sl500
I had a local locksmith cut me a key which unlocks the doors/trunk but won't start the car.

I am in the process of writing a letter to the CEO of MBUSA. Next month a letter to the CEO of MB Germany.

I urge all SL500 owners to hound MB monthly - this situation is unacceptable
Old 10-26-2017, 09:04 AM

1990 500SL

I have a 1990 so it is using the pre-computer chip keys. When I purchased the car, it had only the very rare original gray with red button flip IR key.

I wanted the full set of keys (master, valet and wallet) plus I was going to buy a second flip key (I figured it would be the more modern black key with the keychain loop) so I went to the dealership. They said they discontinued the flip key and the wallet key but that I could order the master and valet.

I ordered two master keys and took the rubber off one to make a wallet key. Super simple. I also got the valet key. Then I bought some old red dot keys on eBay and transplanted the dots to the new keys.

Looks like this problem is effecting cars with the computer chip keys. So 1998 on?

Last edited by George Werner; 10-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:05 PM

sl500
Another month has gone by and still no work from MB;
I called Cust Service on Oct 22 and Nov 2 - left a message regarding a time frame for the availability of
the key fobs for the SL500;

MBUSA has not returned my calls (I'll be calling again tomorrow); I'll also be sending a letter to the CEO of
MBUSA regarding the lack of customer service.

In the meantime, I got a locksmith to cut me a spare key which unlocks the doors/trunk only; I'll be in New York
next week, so heading over to Cobra Locksmith and try and get their advice.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 PM

R129/SL500
Another month has gone by and still no work from MB;
I called Cust Service on Oct 22 and Nov 2 - left a message regarding a time frame for the availability of
the key fobs for the SL500;

MBUSA has not returned my calls (I'll be calling again tomorrow); I'll also be sending a letter to the CEO of
MBUSA regarding the lack of customer service.

In the meantime, I got a locksmith to cut me a spare key which unlocks the doors/trunk only; I'll be in New York
next week, so heading over to Cobra Locksmith and try and get their advice.
Let me know hoe you make out at Cobra please.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 PM

sl500
So today I finally got 2 extra keys for my SL500 which work the doors AND start the car; It's been a long journey and lots
of phone calls but I found a locksmith (via a locksmith friend of mine) who made me 2 extra keys - so now I have 3.
Interestingly when he looked at the data from the chip in the car, 7 keys had been issued for this car, so there was
only 1 spare slot. He managed to delete all data pertaining to the slots, so he freed up the original 8 slots.

It was an interesting process and it took him 2 hours - I was watching with interest what he was doing. I elected
to drive 300 miles to get this done but he can do this without the car being present.

He is located in the Richmond VA area - super guy

BTW - I have contact MBUSA 5 times now, written letter to Cust Care and CEO - NO AT MB has returned any of my calls
or letter - shockingly disappointing.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 PM

R129/SL500
Cost for two keys?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 PM

SL500 1998
So today I finally got 2 extra keys for my SL500 which work the doors AND start the car; It's been a long journey and lots
of phone calls but I found a locksmith (via a locksmith friend of mine) who made me 2 extra keys - so now I have 3.
Interestingly when he looked at the data from the chip in the car, 7 keys had been issued for this car, so there was
only 1 spare slot. He managed to delete all data pertaining to the slots, so he freed up the original 8 slots.

It was an interesting process and it took him 2 hours - I was watching with interest what he was doing. I elected
to drive 300 miles to get this done but he can do this without the car being present.

He is located in the Richmond VA area - super guy

BTW - I have contact MBUSA 5 times now, written letter to Cust Care and CEO - NO AT MB has returned any of my calls
or letter - shockingly disappointing.
This almost sounds too good to be true. I have a 1998 SL500 with only one working key and all other seven keys already lost by previous owners. I was told that there's no way to issue a new key but your information gets my hope up. Any chance you could provide contact details to this locksmith that you've found?

Thanks!
Anton
Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM

R129/SL500
Originally Posted by Anton Wigge
This almost sounds too good to be true. I have a 1998 SL500 with only one working key and all other seven keys already lost by previous owners. I was told that there's no way to issue a new key but your information gets my hope up. Any chance you could provide contact details to this locksmith that you've found?

Thanks!
Anton
The couple of locksmiths I talked to said they could program keys to the previously used slots.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:31 PM

1999 sl500
I got 2 keys for the door and trunk only made by my local MB dealer, $21.00 each BUT still cant get a key for ignition made,
Old 02-13-2018, 03:18 PM

1997 SL 500
I also called MBUSA recently and had them log my VIN as yet another owner inquiring about keys. The individual on the phone read me the official statement. I asked when that was published and the answer was August ‘17. So looks like no headway in 6 months.