SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1990 500SL Minor issue questions

Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 500SL
1990 500SL Minor issue questions

Hi all, I am not new to the R129 world, but I am new to this forum. I own a 1990 500SL with 72k miles (third owner). I have over time kept a list of all the minor things wrong with it as it is nearly 30 years old now. I was hoping you could give me some insight on the list below so I could see if these things are worth fixing in the near future. I made guesses as to the solution to each issue, but am very open to what you members think.

1) When turning right (at least two full steering wheel turns) only while moving, I can hear a almost metallic sound. Steering is totally normal otherwise.
Guess: right tie rod

2) When you open the driver door, the interior lights do not come on and the alarm will not activate. Everything works on the passenger side (lights, alarm).
Guess: seatbelt warning module (behind the passenger airbag)

3) The passenger headlight wiper arm no longer moves when the fluid comes out. It moves freely when you move it by hand.
Guess: passenger headlight wiper motor

4) Main wiper no longer moves up and down via the aux motor in the "hump" and was causing the blade to hit the a pillars. Replaced wiper blade with 18" instead of 20".
Guess: wiper needs to be removed and the aux wiper needs to be lubricated as to avoid burning out the main motor. Then the blade needs to be replaced with a 20" blade

5) The rear center brake light in the trunk lid has a few LEDs which are burnt out on the left side.
Guess: Repair the diodes if possible or replace rear center brake light.

6) The vanity lights in the flip down mirrors no longer work.
Guess: The contacts need to be cleaned first and then the bulbs may need to be replaced

7) The parking brake no longer seems to do anything when depressed. The light comes on on the dash as it should, but it doesn't hold the car.
Guess: The parking brake cables need to be tightened

8) The power seatbelt/headrest adjusters on both sides make a clicking noise when you use the headrest adjuster switches on the door.
Guess: The gears in the seatbelt/headrest motors need to be replaced

9) The flash to pass feature on the stalk no longer works. All other features like high beams, wipers and signals all work.
Guess: Needs a new stalk

10) The cruise control does not work correctly. When you are at speed and set it, it always accelerates harshly. Whether you hit set by pushing up, down, or use resume, it always shoots the rpms way up and just keeps accelerating.
Guess: Needs a cruise control "brain" (control unit)