SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: My SL600 Daily Driver Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 300D
My SL600 Daily Driver Project

Just picked up a new to me 1997 SL600 with 124,000 miles. Fully loaded including the pano top and amg 18" wheels. Going to use this thread to track my problems and solutions. Paid for it and drove it home with a bad misfire and the transmission shifting erratically. Put in some new beru plugs from mercedes and it took away the "random misfire" code. Still a misfire on cylinder 9 and 12. Swapped coils around and the misfire followed the coils, awesome. Ordered 2 new Bosch coils which should be here later this week. Transmission threw a code which indicated a conductor plate. Found that out while taking it for a rip. Ended up pushing it down the road a couple feet and shaking it until it let me put it back in drive. Ordering that through BMA tomorrow with a new filter ect. New tires, Oil and filter also enjoy route. Overall, super thrilled with my purchase, can't wait to get her ironed out mechanically. Still planning for coolant change and thermostat, serpentine belt and diff fluid change
primary questions:
What do you guys use for photo embeding primarily?

What service manual should I get and from where?

Is there any other maintenance I should do other than listed? Haven't looked at brake fluid and still learning about the hydraulic suspension.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 11-29-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
R129/SL500
Welcome and good luck.

Sounds like you can find your way around?

There are some difficult repairs on these cars even more so when dealing with the V12.

How are the top hydraulics?

Have you worked on Mercedes before? I see the 300D under your name. Star diagnostics is a big plus but with a learning curve.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM

Mercedes 300D
Thanks, I've owned a couple w124s. Convert top works really nice and the suspension seems to operate nicely and not sag. The worst problem I've had with the car is the lack of a service manual of some sort. Feel stupid googling if I have to use a drain plug for the oil lol.

Ended up buying not just all the Trans parts from BMA parts but the Febi oil as well, they had the best price INCLUDING shipping. Will definitely be calling them again.
Got one coil in the car today, still waiting on the other to show up. Already shaking less on 11 cylinders lol. Will eventually replace all the coils but just trying to get it through inspection for now.

​​​​
​​​​
Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
r129
A hydraulic fluid flush of the soft top system is always good especially with unknown history. Check the engine harness build date also to make sure you have an updated harness vs straight from the factory (and then you'd be looking at issues down the road real soon.

Also get the star system. W124's are great since these are based on that platform, just a lot heavier. So some components are universal. :-)
Old 12-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. Welcome aboard!

Last edited by rich8566; 12-02-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Mercedes 300D
Suspension oil looked good, found records that say it was gone through. Def going to change the brake fluid.

​​​​​​Got the coils installed, runs amazing! Still stuck in second gear because the conductor plate hasn't come in but pulls very hard. What an awesome sounding engine.

Got the oil changed, Mann filter and 10 quarts of mobile 1. Realizing the airbox had to be removed took me a second, still pretty easy job.

Going to buy some electric cutouts and install right after the cats.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:21 PM

Mercedes 300D
Oh, sometimes 1 HID headlight will shut off after a couple minutes. If you turn the lights back off and on again it will go away. Is it probably one Common ballast resistor thats going bad?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Mercedes 300D
Got the conductor plate installed, pretty easy but messy job. It was still stuck in second gear so I took it to this old ACTUAL German mechanic. He loved the car, after he reset it we took it for a ride and it can absolutely just melt the tires off! What an awesome car! Did a couple burnouts and brought it to my tire guy to install some cheapo Vercelli Stradas, which look nice and balanced out well. Did a 100 mile lap to my camp and back and got almost 18mpg! I still have an intermittent engine light for an oxygen sensor. Got a new Bosch one ordered, I think the old one fouled up from only running on 4 cylinders on that bank. I also have an intermittent suspension light, doesn't always come on. Not sure what it's complaining about, car rides nice and even and doesn't sag overnight. Maybe a height sensor?