SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 500 SL center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SL center console

My boss has a '91 (I think) 500 SL. In the center console there is a multi-tape cassette deck, which is coverd by two sliding covers. Well on one of those covers the plastic pull/guide broke off and the cover retracted back into the cavity behind the tape deck. I was going to try and help him get that fixed but am unsure what the proper way to get into the console to do that is. I was able to remove the door to the console storage compartment, but the console is screwed down underneath the woodgrain area of the shifter in front and is at least held down in the back by the middle section in between the two storage compartments behind the seats. So what I really need to know is how to go about getting into the center console to fix the cover.

I've attatched an image showing the cover that I'm trying to fix. (It is not the car in question)

Old 05-17-2004, 06:42 PM

2001 SL500, designo blue and 2004 C320S
replace cassette drawer

Suggest a membership in Alldatadiy.com. You'll be able to dig out full instructions (illustrated no less.) Also, you might want to look at Ebay and check out the cup holder that completely replaces that cassette tray/ash tray setup. Search EBAY for mercedes cup holder and you'll find the seller. The cup holder costs $289 complete with new sliding cover and everything, shipping extra. Kind of high, but so's every replacement part on the SL.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Almost a Member!

500SL
500SL Center Console

The end piece if held to the roll strip by glue; can you believe Mercedes. I had the same problem with the bottom part of the strip; it rolled down on to the cassette well. The dealer was able to retract back with what I would call a very long pair of hair teasers.
He the orders the small end piece and re-glued the part back to the end of the roll strip. Since then I ordered a console to hold the electronics for a hands free cellular.

I also agree, get the aftermarket cup holder or other parts that can be used as store. Why on god’s green earth was Mercedes spending this amount of money to design tape holders that had become practically obsolete by the time the model year came out. The Ming Dynasty radio they sold with the car was shameful. I replaced mine with a Nakamichi system and it’s great.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:09 AM

2001 SL500, designo blue and 2004 C320S
What the info on the hands free kit? I haven't lept for the cup holder yet so I'm still open to alternatives.

Chuck
Old 05-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Almost a Member!

500SL
500SL Center Console

I purchased the kit from a lady that was selling her 1992 SL, and she had the system custom installed. The phone cradle sits inside where the cassette holder used to be. I had to pay for customize setup. The lady originally installed the system for $ 4,000 in 1992, and sold it to me for 300. I paid 200 for the wiring installation.

You may want to look a various auction sites EBay e electronic auction places and sometimes you can find a system like this being sold. I was told it was a popular aftermarket item installed, before Mercedes came out with their hands-free cellular option.