SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: After some years of opening and closing of the windows in the doors can come loose

Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
After some years of opening and closing of the windows in the doors can come loose

Earlier this day i was out driving and had the drivers side window open about 3 to 4 inch when i heard a noise from within the drivers side door when i closed the window and after the noise the window would only close from the rear
Since it is winter outside i managed to lift it up while pushing the electric windows switch at the same time

You can feel that the winow is kind of loose inside tha door.

I went to a friend that have a heated garage to sort this out.
As soon i the door panel was off i could see that the drivers side window had come off both the rear and front sliders

The problem is that the 2 rivets in the 2 red red circles on the picture had broken off after years with opening and closing of the window

So after loosening the screws for the rear slider we managed to get the window back in place on both the rear and front sliders and tighten the screws for rear slider again

The 2 rivets that is used to hold the window in place inside the door is quite thick and long so i used stainless steel screws with nylock nuts and bolted it on instead of using the long thick rivets

Below is a picture of the 2 rivets that holds the window in place inside the door

Note that there are 2 special "washers" between the inside of the door and window mechanism and also a one special "washer on the backside of the window mechanism

I just thought i should mention this here if any other member have the same problem

The picture attached is not of my car but from the internet

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-13-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)

Forgot to say that it is this type of rivets that is used from the factory