SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: '95 SL600 w/ 75k mi - good or bad buy?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 Golf R DSG
'95 SL600 w/ 75k mi - good or bad buy?

For a long time I've admired the R129 SL's, they have such a timeless look that I still think looks good today (usually saw a few outside some of the doctor's offices as a kid). I've had a handful of cars up to this point, but never any German cars for fear of maintenance woes (seems I always hear of the horror stories, how true to life those are I don't know). I'm fine with doing brakes/rotors, sparkplugs, rotating tires, and changing my own oil, but I don't get much more involved than that since I don't have a garage. From memory, I feel like I've seen lots of things about how R129's are some of the most solid and reliable Mercedes made bested perhaps only by some of the slightly older models (though truth to any of this I do not know, since I know no one with any Mercedes new or old). With newer ones, it seems like the technology is so pervasive that problems are more expensive and complex but being innovative I really am not sure that the R129 didn't have a lot of tech for its age.

Anyway, I rarely recall seeing SL600's show up and there's one not far from me that caught my eye a few weeks ago and is still there. This would not be my only car, but my other car is a C5 Z06 which I already own but I do not drive it in the rain or snow (parked during winter season, it does snow here sometimes and it gets cold). I'd be more ok with driving the SL600 year round, though wonder the practicality of both of my vehicles being two seaters. It would mean the SL600 would be the daily absolutely when it's nasty out. I'm usually a solo driver and as a single guy have no real regular needs for more beyond that, but could be limiting for getting things into the car that having a sedan or larger trunk could help with. Removing that aside though, how honestly reliable and costly is an R129 SL600 to maintain? How about vs. a same year SL500? How much money a year should I expect to spend on maintenance or possible unexpected repairs? My C5 had an issue with its EBCM which rendered ABS/Traction Control/Stability inoperative which ended up costing about $200 to fix but the car was driveable during that time. Beyond that, I haven't had to fix anything or worry about much on it outside of regular wear items. I'd trust to take it on a trip across the country easily, is the R129 SL600 a vehicle you would say the same for?

Here is the link to the ad if anyone wants to take a look and advise. When I was younger, it seemed like everyone always said to avoid 12 cylinders but I don't know if it's because people rarely see them and assume they are more problematic, or maybe because V12 Jaguars seem more common and Jaguars in general seem pretty unreliable especially from the '90s and '80s. Could an SL600 foreseeably be used as a daily in 2018+ or are these getting to an age where they're best suited to use as a weekend driver? My familiarity falls more with Japanese cars, where I know the answer would be "of course you can daily it, 75k is laughable and it will last for many more years with little besides oil changes". More conditionally I'd say the same for American cars, though there are a lot more bad ones to look out for and avoid.

Last edited by Vistance; 02-16-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
a great buy at 500 bucks
Old 03-16-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 E500, 00 SL500, 99 SL500, 94 E420, 92 500E, 92 500E, 92 300CE, 06 Lexus GX470
Deep Pockets

Originally Posted by Vistance
For a long time I've admired the R129 SL's, they have such a timeless look that I still think looks good today (usually saw a few outside some of the doctor's offices as a kid). I've had a handful of cars up to this point, but never any German cars for fear of maintenance woes (seems I always hear of the horror stories, how true to life those are I don't know). I'm fine with doing brakes/rotors, sparkplugs, rotating tires, and changing my own oil, but I don't get much more involved than that since I don't have a garage. From memory, I feel like I've seen lots of things about how R129's are some of the most solid and reliable Mercedes made bested perhaps only by some of the slightly older models (though truth to any of this I do not know, since I know no one with any Mercedes new or old). With newer ones, it seems like the technology is so pervasive that problems are more expensive and complex but being innovative I really am not sure that the R129 didn't have a lot of tech for its age.

Anyway, I rarely recall seeing SL600's show up and there's one not far from me that caught my eye a few weeks ago and is still there. This would not be my only car, but my other car is a C5 Z06 which I already own but I do not drive it in the rain or snow (parked during winter season, it does snow here sometimes and it gets cold). I'd be more ok with driving the SL600 year round, though wonder the practicality of both of my vehicles being two seaters. It would mean the SL600 would be the daily absolutely when it's nasty out. I'm usually a solo driver and as a single guy have no real regular needs for more beyond that, but could be limiting for getting things into the car that having a sedan or larger trunk could help with. Removing that aside though, how honestly reliable and costly is an R129 SL600 to maintain? How about vs. a same year SL500? How much money a year should I expect to spend on maintenance or possible unexpected repairs? My C5 had an issue with its EBCM which rendered ABS/Traction Control/Stability inoperative which ended up costing about $200 to fix but the car was driveable during that time. Beyond that, I haven't had to fix anything or worry about much on it outside of regular wear items. I'd trust to take it on a trip across the country easily, is the R129 SL600 a vehicle you would say the same for?

Here is the link to the ad if anyone wants to take a look and advise. When I was younger, it seemed like everyone always said to avoid 12 cylinders but I don't know if it's because people rarely see them and assume they are more problematic, or maybe because V12 Jaguars seem more common and Jaguars in general seem pretty unreliable especially from the '90s and '80s. Could an SL600 foreseeably be used as a daily in 2018+ or are these getting to an age where they're best suited to use as a weekend driver? My familiarity falls more with Japanese cars, where I know the answer would be "of course you can daily it, 75k is laughable and it will last for many more years with little besides oil changes". More conditionally I'd say the same for American cars, though there are a lot more bad ones to look out for and avoid.
Since you already have a very fine (and fast) C5, owning a SL600 would not be the best move, if you looking for reliability and lower cost maintenance.

There are many opinions on the comparison between a SL500 and SL600. But I do have real experience with SL500's, owning 3 of them, 2 still active.
I love the SR129's and from my experience, I would look for a 99 to 02 Sl500. you'll get an upgraded interior possible;e amg styling outside, and the extremely reliable M113 motor., they just don't break.

All years of the 600's on the other hand require a lot more money to maintain, and don't buy any older than 97, staying away from electrical issues.
wire harnesses from the factory were ALL bad for ALL Mercedes from about 92 through 96, requiring new upper and lower engine harnesses, and ETA rewiring..

Many folks did all that work, but for those cars that didn't get new harnesses, some of them are no longer available from Mercedes, requiring custom hand re-built ones.

There are a lot of 99-02 SL500s out there for sale, at great prices, probably the best buy on a 2 seater you'll find anywhere... and very reliable
Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Since you have fun and speed with the vette the R129 would be more collector stuff?
I have owner several R 129's and other benz too. $ 7,500 may be a good price for the dealer Just thinking a great driver in that year range might cost 15-25K to restore the 1995 to Fun, fast and show off level. It is fun but not a money asset.
The 500 vs 600 is minor in performance, fit, and finish but if you are a long term hold the rare engine might be better. The electrical issues may not be operational for your model. Everything wears out however, so lots of common parts to any R129 will be needing replacement ( top hydraulics for one, plastic,rubber, and seals for another basket and the VAC system can require much upgrade.)
Have fun go for the adventure and look at other sites before you flop down the money. Bring a Trailor has been good to buy and sell.