SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Help- What is this and how do I R/R to fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SL500
Exclamation Help- What is this and how do I R/R to fix?

D**n mice ate the insulation off some wires. A 2002 SL500- Over on the passenger side, tucked down by the firewall and next to the Emission control box, there is a thing that looks like a blower motor with a hose hooked to it and two wires coming out that plug into another wire.

What is this thing and how do I get it out? I want to remove it and replace the wires if possible, but can't get to the ends without taking it out. Couldn't get a good picture of it but its down under the hoses/wire harness shown to the right of the box in the pic...
thanks
DesertRunner -Al

Two wires to the ??? need replaced

Last edited by DesertRunner; 05-10-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:24 PM

2002 SL500

Here is a better picture of what I'm seeking info on- the thing in the yellow oval that looks like a round blower motor- you can make out the two wires that go into it above the arrow.

The unit appears part of the emission control box housing- molded as part of the plastic- at least I can't see any screws or other attachment points yet and no wires seem to go into the emission box itself. Maybe it comes apart at the two square looking lugs/tabs on top?

ETA There are two tiny screws down on the side that attach this 'blower' to the side of the ECU box- (one of them is to the left of the arrow) there also is an "air-duct' going from its back into the side and up to the top of the ECU box (seen behind the top screw mount)-

I think this is a fan/blower to keep the ECU box cooled - and the two wires go to some on/off thermostat/switch. I'm going to have to find some of the 'hand-shrinking' lotion in order to get in there to unscrew the fan motor- or just maybe take apart some of the firewall extension- ugh... looks like a-lotta work and cuss'in.ahead...

Somehow I need to get it out so I can solder new wires in place.... If I could see a part number maybe I could look it up but not in this view.

thanks
al

Last edited by DesertRunner; 05-11-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 PM

2002 SL500
For those 59 people interested in this thread so far, here is what came out of the hole....