SL/R129: Trying to isolate a problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2018 | 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in search of a W124
Trying to isolate a problem

Hi group,
I've got a vibration that I think is consistent with a wheel or multiple wheels being out of balance, but the shop (independent German shop in Arlington, VA) I use can't isolate which wheel/tire is the culprit. They balance the wheels on their machine, but the vibration persists. The problem started after I took it to the MB dealer in Alexandria for a VA state inspection and they told me the rear tires needed replacement, and they were unable to balance the tires once installed. They said my rims were bent, but when I took them to have them repaired, the shop couldn't identify where these supposed bends were. So if any of you have some advice, feel free to speculate along with me. Your guess is as good as mine.

The vehicle in question is a 2000 SL500 Sport. I've got Michelin Pilot Sports on the back and Nittos Motivos on the front. I should make them match, but there's plenty of tread left and that seems a bit wasteful. So just to see if I can solve the problem and make sure it's actually a wheel/tire issue before I go and replace all 4 corners, I was hoping that I could swap wheels with someone for an afternoon and try to identify where the issue might be.

I'm located in the DC area and would happily buy you lunch for your troubles.

Thanks,
Corey

Last edited by coreyaugustus; 07-26-2018 at 02:21 PM.