SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Dome/map light issue 92 500sl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500sl
Dome/map light issue 92 500sl

Left rocker switch turned to left position should activate both dome lights when locking and unlocking OR when left or right door is open. It does nothing at all. Left rocker switch turned to Right position should turn on both lights. IT does. Right rocker switch turned to left position should turn on left dome light it does nothing. Right rocker switch turned to right position should turn on right dome light it does nothing. Left rocker switch turned to right position turns on both lights if you turn on Right rocker turned to left position while both lights are on the left light will go out? Like wise if you turn on right rocker right switch right light goes out?At first I was thinking the left switch is bad but now the right switch does not work properly and when the left switch has both lights tuned on the right switch works *** backwards. Is it possible the left switch is causing a malfunction on the right rocker switch?
Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like one of the rocker switches is defective!
Old 07-29-2018, 11:32 PM

500sl
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Sounds like one of the rocker switches is defective!
that is what I was thinking. I would say the left one and it causing issues with the right one. Did not want to start ripping the Rview mirror and that dome light housing off until I kind of got a handle on what the issue could be. All that plastic is brittle and old and I do not want to start breaking Sh@t because it is very expensive to replace and the dome lights do work but only when you manually turn them on left rocker right position. Thanks for your input
Old 07-30-2018, 11:17 PM

500sl
Originally Posted by Barry D
that is what I was thinking. I would say the left one and it causing issues with the right one. Did not want to start ripping the Rview mirror and that dome light housing off until I kind of got a handle on what the issue could be. All that plastic is brittle and old and I do not want to start breaking Sh@t because it is very expensive to replace and the dome lights do work but only when you manually turn them on left rocker right position. Thanks for your input
Is there a circuit board that those two switches feed into if so is it possible it is the circuit board?