SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Coolant level question/problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Aston Martin Vantage
Coolant level question/problem

I am wondering if there is a recommended coolant level for this car. Since there is not dip stick, I am assuming not. The coolant level does seem to be high since I sort of could see the coolant level through the bottom frost/smoke part of the container.

The main problem is with the dash indicator. When driving on local/street roads, the indicator light does not show up, however, when driving on the freeway, the indicator light turns on (stays only for most of the travel, sometimes turning off then turning back on). Only once in awhile does the indicator come on during street road driving as well as not being on during freeway driving.

I would add more coolant but I fear overfilling it, if that could happen. The indicator light doesn't worry me much most of the time, but it does become annoying when it shows up when I happen to be on the freeway, especially at night.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 SL500
Unhappy Oil Level Too

I'm have the same problem with my oil level. After warming up I get random indication of low oil (light and / or -2.0Q)

(it's mid stick)

2000 SL500 20,000 miles

The dealer dude at the rapid service lane said it was the oil level sensor. $500+

Not being one to believe the first thing that I hear I decided to drive over to my friendly local repair shop. German Benz trained guy, and a bright kid assistant. When I asked them the kid piped up and said that there was a bulletin.

They looked it up and it said something about reloading the console computer program.

I'll find out Monday if it works.

Best Regards,

Barry