SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: ASR and ABS light on, cause front break pad sensor??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 sl500
ASR and ABS light on, cause front break pad sensor??

I think I have narrowed down my issue to 2 main points and I just need someone who knows a thing or 2 about this car to either confirm this or give me some other places to check on this car:

I have a 1994 sl500 with ASR and ABS light on all the time. Once you start the car its on, no intermittent light, its on all the time. So to start my symptoms: transmission hard shift and shift late (like 2.5k-3k rpm), and front breaks do not work at all (bought this car at an auction, rear breaks work) and when you give it full throttle the engine reaches about 4.5k RPM before cutting out (feel like its a rev limiter and part of limp mode, can anyone confirm?). I got my throttle body rebuilt and that fixed the late shifting on the transmission and for the most part the hard shifting. It has a slight jolt shifting gears but it now shifts at about 1.8k RPM. Going into park, drive etc no hard shifts. Looking over the car I noticed 2 things that could be causing my ASR and ABS and I just need some input. 1. there is a black vacuum hose (this runs through the intake manifold and attaches to a ventilation tree on the driver side engine, looks like a breather valve) I traced this back to the far driver side of the engine and removed a black cover and it is connected to a solenoid. Can someone tell me what this does? Ill upload pictures because I feel this is vague what I am saying but the the hose leaving that solenoid is missing and I feel like that is something important. 2. the front brake pads are basically not there anymore (brake fluid is also black). They are incredibly worn down, and I assume the wheel speed sensors are fried and/or the brake pad wear sensors are messed up, I know the wheel speed sensors would cause the lights to go on but would the brake pad wear sensor cause it to come on? Any help would be much appreciated because I cannot find a code scanner that works with this car. Bought a basic code scanner that has 3 pins and you plug them into the 38 pin socket and count the number of lights, and a KWP 200PLUS that didnt work.

I will upload pictures of the vacuum hose I am talking about and the front brakes. If anyone could lend some insight if they have dealt with this before that would be awesome!
Old 11-19-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
SL600
Hallo,

1. Can someone tell me what this does?

Nothing to do with ASR and ABS

2. would the brake pad wear sensor cause it to come on?

No. It lights the light, thats all.

Sounds that one fuse on top of the control module inside the modul box is gone. This happens when you wiring loom is cracked, a common failure of all engines from 1992 t0 1996. Is the wiring loom new? If not, it is broken.

Regards

Andreas
Old 11-22-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 sl500
Hallo,

1. Can someone tell me what this does?

Nothing to do with ASR and ABS

2. would the brake pad wear sensor cause it to come on?

No. It lights the light, thats all.

Sounds that one fuse on top of the control module inside the modul box is gone. This happens when you wiring loom is cracked, a common failure of all engines from 1992 t0 1996. Is the wiring loom new? If not, it is broken.

Regards

Andreas
What fuse are you talking about