SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 Mercedes Benz 500SL
Looking for Advice

Hey guys just picked up a 1990 500SL with 81k miles .. my first r129. I was hoping you guys can help me by telling me where to get some small interior pieces and also very interested in lowering the car alittle bit..

first thing i need is a new rear view mirror and thinking of updating the headlights to xenons from a later year r129 , So if you guys could let me know what springs I should be looking at and where to get good quality lights and interior pieces ... thanks any info would help here’s some pics

Old 08-03-2019, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
ebay is your friend buddy.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
The front bumper covers on '90-'95 cars is particular low and prone to contacting pavement and breaking. I certainly would not lower one of these cars.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Please understand I collect and restore and then store, so view my comments in that framework.
nice looking wheels and paint from across the parking lot!
In modernizing the lights, turn signals etc I did not install the HID with the ballast. I used the upgraded bulbs and LED's to add the newer bling as DRL
I also used LED's in the exterior mirrors with mirror backing removal for the turn signal flash in the mirrors, also puddle light too.
You should also understand I don't drive the collector cars at night, dark unknown roads, etc. so the improved lighting is good but not great like the caddy LED's ( I could do surgery with those lights! )
Bobterry99 would be of like mind on lowering unless you never pull into a parking slot with stops.
I can change height by moving a lever on the hydraulic manifold, other years by a button near the light switch. Also when working my vehicle changes a a highway speed ( about 60 MPH ) and when slow rolling in a garage when the system feels a bump in the floor surface!
I contemplated the move with a 500 but found spring coil reduction was beyond the benefit.
I also have done the wheel size, tire profile thing, liked the looks but glad the seats are well padded because the ride was harder than the 16 with 55 profile. Your wheels look like the modern set up.
Good luck with your adventure.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 Mercedes Benz 500SL
Originally Posted by SRHsl600
Please understand I collect and restore and then store, so view my comments in that framework.
nice looking wheels and paint from across the parking lot!
In modernizing the lights, turn signals etc I did not install the HID with the ballast. I used the upgraded bulbs and LED's to add the newer bling as DRL
I also used LED's in the exterior mirrors with mirror backing removal for the turn signal flash in the mirrors, also puddle light too.
You should also understand I don't drive the collector cars at night, dark unknown roads, etc. so the improved lighting is good but not great like the caddy LED's ( I could do surgery with those lights! )
Bobterry99 would be of like mind on lowering unless you never pull into a parking slot with stops.
I can change height by moving a lever on the hydraulic manifold, other years by a button near the light switch. Also when working my vehicle changes a a highway speed ( about 60 MPH ) and when slow rolling in a garage when the system feels a bump in the floor surface!
I contemplated the move with a 500 but found spring coil reduction was beyond the benefit.
I also have done the wheel size, tire profile thing, liked the looks but glad the seats are well padded because the ride was harder than the 16 with 55 profile. Your wheels look like the modern set up.
Good luck with your adventure.

Thanks for the advice buddy ... and to be honest the more I’m looking at it I don’t think I wanna mess with springs or suspension in general car sits very nice as is.. I’m gonna look into upgrading the bulbs as you said , again thanks for reaching out this is my first SL and honestly my first older car so the way I’m use to modding a modern car is very different lol any advice helps