SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Bad paint...SL320...HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 Mercedes SL320 '94 BMW 325i '87 BMW 325iC
Angry Bad paint...SL320...HELP!

I recently bought a dark blue '95 SL320. Although it only had 52K on it the paint looks awful. I didn't notice because it was dark out...I know, stupid move. The paint on the steel parts are uneven and tons of rock chips especially on the hood. Waxed it several times and it still looks crummy. I have a BMW also and the paint is 100x better than this car.The fiberglass side panels are dull like no clear coat is on them. Both bumpers are scratched up with millions of spider scratches and some chips. Did the '95 come in a two-tone paint scheme...like silver on the fiberglass and blue on top? It's like the bottom was re-painted and not clear coated. Does this make any sense? Also is there anything I can hve done short of having it repainted
Old 07-21-2004, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
A car of your age was at the end of the first production run, before the first makeover which changed the design of the bumper covers and vents behind the front wheels and the seats, among other things. Before the makeover, the plastic parts often came in a slightly different colour from the rest of the car; a white car came with pale grey parts and a red car was a particularly vile combination. From 96, they were painted in much the same colour although they still have a different, more matt, appearance.

The hood is notorious for picking up rock chips, especially along the top front edge either side of the badge; my SL600 is my daily driver and is peppered with them, even though I have the front end re-sprayed every 2 years.

Painting the bumpers has always been difficult because remnants of the mold release agent make it difficult for the paint to adhere unless it's really cleaned off.

It sounds like your car has had a tough life, at 52k miles, the rest of the car should be immaculate. Maybe some sub-standard paintwork after an accident. If washing and waxing has not improved the appearance, a re-spray is the only answer.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:04 AM

'95 Mercedes SL320 '94 BMW 325i '87 BMW 325iC
Thanks BLUE SL!!!

Thanks for your excellent advice from the UK. That all make alot of sense. Looks like I just bought the wrong year. I don't feel so bad about my purchase now. I'll try having it professionally detailed and waxed. Your'e right about the rock chips. They do pretty much go clear up to the windshield on the hood (bonnet to you guys)....Maybe they have some kind of colored wax that actually works to hide all the hairline scratches and maybe even some chips. You're right, the rest of the car is immaculate and I reall enjoy driving it.....Chris Allen in Oregon City, Oregon USAundefined
Old 09-05-2004, 11:40 AM

1995 SL 320
SL Paint

Spiders are a sign that the bumper was repainted and the shop that did it really was not a professional paint shop.My 1995 black and gray 2 tone has a mirror finish,much nicer than any other car I have seen.The bumpers do have some scrapes and dings which will have to be addressed.Just to give you an example,MB wants $1800 to take off the bumper,repaint and clear coat and touch up some tone chips on the front end.It is a time consuming process if it is done correctly,thus it costs $$.But if it is done correctly,the results are nothing less than spectacular.It upsets me to see owners try to save $500 on an SL and take their car to a cheap body and paint shop to cover up chips,dents,and spider problems.The whole point of owning an SL is to be unique.This includes having the most beautiful paint luster of any car in the world.