SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: New 1995 SL500 owner, Questions and Problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1995 SL500
New 1995 SL500 owner, Questions and Problems?

Hello all,

After much reading of the forum, I have decided to post my own thread to get some advice on the problems that I am experiencing in my 1995 SL500. Any replies or suggestions are much appreciated. BTW, I am new to older MB.

1: Soft top only comes up halfway........ I checked the fluid and it's at the low mark. It doesn't seem to be too low, but could that be the problem? Also, the top hydraulic cylinder on this car has never been rebuilt, should I do it just for safety since I am planning to keep the car for a long time?

2: Hardtop only works after disconnecting/reconnecting battery. This is a weird one, the hardtop only works (usually) after disconnecting the battery and plugging it back in after a minute or so. If I don't do this procedure, I will get the top button blinking and no reaction from the car.

3: Heat in the footwell. After driving hard or long trips, the footwell becomes hot. Is there some kind of seal that is between the engine and the footwell that is broken? Anyone experiencing similar problems?

4: AC not working, and air only comes out from the right side vent. Any idea of what the problem could be and the approximate cost of having the ac fixed?

Any answer will be much appreciated, thank you very much for the help to a new owner.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:15 AM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
We can not tell what is causing this behavior from just the reslt. Have the error codes read. Too low oil will cause the top operating computer to shut off. You must pull the error code(s) to see why/what is causing the top computer to shut off. No need to reseal a cylinder that is not leaking.When one does start leaking, reseal all 11.Not cheap, lots of labor to R&R. Have the specialty shop rebuild the cylinders. NOT OWNER REBUILD-ABLE.

Cost of repairing A/C depends of what it needs. Have all the error codes read.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
1999 SL600
Originally Posted by peterlin1995
Hello all,

After much reading of the forum, I have decided to post my own thread to get some advice on the problems that I am experiencing in my 1995 SL500. Any replies or suggestions are much appreciated. BTW, I am new to older MB.

1: Soft top only comes up halfway........ I checked the fluid and it's at the low mark. It doesn't seem to be too low, but could that be the problem? Also, the top hydraulic cylinder on this car has never been rebuilt, should I do it just for safety since I am planning to keep the car for a long time?

2: Hardtop only works after disconnecting/reconnecting battery. This is a weird one, the hardtop only works (usually) after disconnecting the battery and plugging it back in after a minute or so. If I don't do this procedure, I will get the top button blinking and no reaction from the car.

3: Heat in the footwell. After driving hard or long trips, the footwell becomes hot. Is there some kind of seal that is between the engine and the footwell that is broken? Anyone experiencing similar problems?

4: AC not working, and air only comes out from the right side vent. Any idea of what the problem could be and the approximate cost of having the ac fixed?

Any answer will be much appreciated, thank you very much for the help to a new owner.
First I think you need to reset the windows by holding both up buttons at the same time for 7-8 seconds. Anytime battery is disconnected this needs to be done and top wont work right unless windows are resynched for autodrop. Then refill hydraulic fluid genuine only. Hopefully these two things will restore functionality to the top(s) then you need to flush the fluid, again genuine fluid only.

As for your footwell heat and vent issues, are either of the two buttons below the sunglass holder lit? make sure neither are lit up. Also check your cabin air filter. Could be gunked up and in need of replacement with an OE Corteco/Micronair filter
Old 09-13-2020, 06:41 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
1999 SL600
Originally Posted by peterlin1995
Hello all,

First I think you need to reset the windows by holding both up buttons at the same time for 7-8 seconds. Anytime battery is disconnected this needs to be done and top wont work right unless windows are resynched for autodrop. Then refill hydraulic fluid genuine only. Hopefully these two things will restore functionality to the top(s) then you need to flush the fluid, again genuine fluid only.

As for your footwell heat and vent issues, are either of the two buttons below the sunglass holder lit? make sure neither are lit up. Also check your cabin air filter. Could be gunked up and in need of replacement with an OE Corteco/Micronair filter