SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Seeking advices on buying 2002 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking advices on buying 2002 SL500

Hi all,

I've always loved the look of R129 model since I was young and the fact that my grandfather had owned one about 20 years ago. I've been looking for one for myself and found a candidate R129. It is 2002 Silver Arrow Edition with low miles. (only wanted silver color)

I test drove today but disappointed a bit with the current condition of it as i could see many imperfections compared to pictures I was given. (I know it is almost 20 years old and I'm not expecting as if it is a brand new car

Seller was asking $12K and I have negotiated down to $10.5K but want to ask experienced owners if I should purchase or stay away from this particular one.

Problems: --- (I was not able to lift up the car)
1. Front passenger side rim got damaged. it seems like it got scraped one side against curb or something.
2. It makes some clunking sounds from the front passenger side when steering wheel is turned all the way to either right or left. so i guess it could be the axle or ball joint issue.
3. The front passenger side blinker has been replaced but it does not seem fit correctly. not sure if it is an after market part with bad fitment
4. I could feel the engine shoots up when I tested engine mount by putting brakes and pressing gas pedal in R or D gear position - could be bad motor mount.
5. It seems like there is an oil leak between engine and transmission when I lie down and looked under the car.
6. seller mentioned some issues with soft top convertible and he had the hardtop on it when he showed the car. --> I guess this could be a common issue
7. Leather seats were good condition as I did not see any creases or tear but those white leather portion were pretty dirty... I'm not sure if I can remove those discoloration.
8. It seems like blinkers are not turning off itself after making a turn. I needed to manually turn them off. (my 94 W124 and 11 X164 don't do that... in fact, all cars I have driven so far turns blinkers off by itself)
9. the wood trim on center console has been damaged and parts of it came off
10. in addition to #4 above, i heard some loud noise randomly when i changed gears from P to R.

Other than above, i saw several spots with paint nicks and car pulls strong.

Do you think I should get it or stay away from it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by taeandji; 10-16-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:55 PM

Received 194 Likes on 152 Posts
1997 MB SL600
Do you know how to fix complex cars or have the coin to have them repaired?
Old 10-12-2020, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Sounds like the car has been neglected or abused. I personally would run and find a good car you can enjoy and not just pour money into. I made this mistake once with my 2004 CLK Cab. You will only grow to despise the car. I know the price is cheap and mileage is low but that is not the gold standard when buying a car.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
01' MB SL500
To the OP. I suggest passing on this car. The oil leak sounds like a rear main seal gone bad. To fix that the engine has to be dropped. That alone will cost big bucks. Sounds like there are a bunch of other issues to deal with. Rather than buy the car for $10K and spend another 3 or 5 grand more to make it nice I suggest looking for another SL in better condition. You can find them on AutoTrader in good condition for $12 to $15K. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2020, 11:19 AM

I'm expecting some repair but not willing to pay more than $5k though and I can handle some work myself.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by S.Lazz
To the OP. I suggest passing on this car. The oil leak sounds like a rear main seal gone bad. To fix that the engine has to be dropped. That alone will cost big bucks. Sounds like there are a bunch of other issues to deal with. Rather than buy the car for $10K and spend another 3 or 5 grand more to make it nice I suggest looking for another SL in better condition. You can find them on AutoTrader in good condition for $12 to $15K. Good luck!

Thank you for your response and that's was my main concern... other than that i might be able to handle myself but if that leak i mentioned was from the main seal... then I guess i will need to move on.
I'm meeting the seller this afternoon and this time I'm going to put it up on lift and look closely.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Sounds like the car has been neglected or abused. I personally would run and find a good car you can enjoy and not just pour money into. I made this mistake once with my 2004 CLK Cab. You will only grow to despise the car. I know the price is cheap and mileage is low but that is not the gold standard when buying a car.

Thank you for your response and I'm meeting the seller this afternoon and I will put it up on lift to have a 2nd look
Old 10-13-2020, 08:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
1999 SL600
Negotiate down to 8k then it’ll be worth it. Then find a competent Indy who will let you bring your own parts and get the car fixed up. Fix it, clean it and throw it onto bring a trailer, you’ll make a nice profit because silver arrows are desirable
Old 10-13-2020, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sushipaste
Negotiate down to 8k then it’ll be worth it. Then find a competent Indy who will let you bring your own parts and get the car fixed up. Fix it, clean it and throw it onto bring a trailer, you’ll make a nice profit because silver arrows are desirable
Thank you for your response and I ended up buying it today. Since it was about 30 miles away from my home, i drove it to the shop where I take my mercedes so my trusted mechanic can take a look at it.
It drove much better than I expected when I was driving back today and also verified the soft top works ok but the clear plastic or vinyl turned to dark yellow color...

btw, does anyone know if I can fix the rim or do I need to replace the whole rim? i
Old 10-13-2020, 10:30 PM

Received 194 Likes on 152 Posts
1997 MB SL600
It's a trim ring, but a special one and not too easy to replace.

Do a search on the subject.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by mahunt

Thank you!!!
Old 10-14-2020, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 R129 SL500, '08-'20 W204 C350
Congrats, Silver Arrows are pretty rare. Two piece rim is easier to repair, should be possible.

Last edited by Bobby204; 10-14-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:06 AM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
Low mile Silver Arrow for $10k ish? I dunno why you were even asking the question...seems like maybe you were bragging. lol.

The list of things that needs fixing wouldn't scare me at all. SAs in good shape with low miles are pulling $20-30k on BaT all day long.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:38 AM

1999 SL600
Originally Posted by taeandji
Thank you for your response and I ended up buying it today. Since it was about 30 miles away from my home, i drove it to the shop where I take my mercedes so my trusted mechanic can take a look at it.
It drove much better than I expected when I was driving back today and also verified the soft top works ok but the clear plastic or vinyl turned to dark yellow color...

btw, does anyone know if I can fix the rim or do I need to replace the whole rim? i
good to hear you purchased. Fix everything and detail it and you have a nice cash cow ready for if you wish to sell.

the wheel damage and curb rash should be repairable, go see wheel repair shops for quotes.

A drill and buff pad + meguiars plastx should restore clarity to the soft top windows (or you could use your hands and a microfiber towel like me, but it was hard work, both sides for all windows.)

check your hydraulic fluid. Could be dirty and in need of flushing , and pray none of your top cylinders leak

congrats on your purchase!
Old 10-14-2020, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mahunt

Thank you again and found the guy in UK from the search and got a quote for a replacement.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:44 AM

good to hear you purchased. Fix everything and detail it and you have a nice cash cow ready for if you wish to sell.

the wheel damage and curb rash should be repairable, go see wheel repair shops for quotes.

A drill and buff pad + meguiars plastx should restore clarity to the soft top windows (or you could use your hands and a microfiber towel like me, but it was hard work, both sides for all windows.)

check your hydraulic fluid. Could be dirty and in need of flushing , and pray none of your top cylinders leak

congrats on your purchase!
That's good to hear. I was looking at the replacement window on ebay such as below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANY-Mercede...gAAOSwNX1e1KlW

Except those windows, the condition of soft top was pretty good. I guess before I purchase anything like this, I will try to buff it out to see if I can restore the window.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 PM

Ok, my mechanic called me with a list of things I might need to do.

- the clunking noise when I turn either left or right was due to a loosen bolt on control arm so he took care of it.
- one of bushings got missing so it made the rough transmission gear changes
- there is a small leak started on driver side valve cover but recommended to do both side if i want to otherwise keep an eye on those- $440
- serpentine tensioner is original one and seems ok but recommended to replace with new version which is made of plastic - $195
- no leak from the transmission has been identified.
- if I want the transmission flush, it is about $250.
- right corner light is bulging out a bit because it is missing a bracket to secure. - anyone knows where to find one?
- one of hydraulic cylinder is leaking - i may just remove all and have it rebuilt later.
- the headliner on hard top is sagging - i called one of upholstery shops and their rough estimate is about $350-$400... I may call around a few more shops near north Atlanta area. anyone from Atlanta area and knows a good shop?

Do you guys recommend replacing the plastic serpentine tensioner and tranny flush @ 50k or should I wait till @ 60k?

Last edited by taeandji; 10-14-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300se, 1980 450sl
If you need wheel replacements, here you go!
This guy has three sets for-sale on the MBCA. https://www.mbca.org/classified-ad/2...sale.--7408375

2002 SL 500 R 129 SILVER ARROW wheels for sale.

Steve McHugh
State:
California
Phone:

3 sets of Silver Arrow wheels for sale. 14 total. All in excellent shape. Call for details.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 PM

1999 SL600
Ok, my mechanic called me with a list of things I might need to do.

- the clunking noise when I turn either left or right was due to a loosen bolt on control arm so he took care of it.
- one of bushings got missing so it made the rough transmission gear changes
- there is a small leak started on driver side valve cover but recommended to do both side if i want to otherwise keep an eye on those- $440
- serpentine tensioner is original one and seems ok but recommended to replace with new version which is made of plastic - $195
- no leak from the transmission has been identified.
- if I want the transmission flush, it is about $250.
- right corner light is bulging out a bit because it is missing a bracket to secure. - anyone knows where to find one?
- one of hydraulic cylinder is leaking - i may just remove all and have it rebuilt later.
- the headliner on hard top is sagging - i called one of upholstery shops and their rough estimate is about $350-$400... I may call around a few more shops near north Atlanta area. anyone from Atlanta area and knows a good shop?

Do you guys recommend replacing the plastic serpentine tensioner and tranny flush @ 50k or should I wait till @ 60k?
I don’t about the serpentine tensioner, but if the transmission has no record of service, do it ASAP, and change out the pilot bushing connector as well. Get any and all trans codes erased and shift adaptations reset
Old 10-14-2020, 06:50 PM

1999 SL600
And I believe the bracket you’re in need of is pn: 1298201414
Old 10-14-2020, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by rideair
If you need wheel replacements, here you go!
This guy has three sets for-sale on the MBCA. https://www.mbca.org/classified-ad/2...sale.--7408375

2002 SL 500 R 129 SILVER ARROW wheels for sale.

Steve McHugh
State:
California
Phone:

3 sets of Silver Arrow wheels for sale. 14 total. All in excellent shape. Call for details.
Thank you for the information. Trying to take it to local rim pair shop and also got a quote for trim only from the UK guy.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:19 PM

I don’t about the serpentine tensioner, but if the transmission has no record of service, do it ASAP, and change out the pilot bushing connector as well. Get any and all trans codes erased and shift adaptations reset
Thanks! and I will have him do tranny work!

Last edited by taeandji; 10-15-2020 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:53 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
What to do

Hi all,

I've always loved the look of R129 model since I was young and the fact that my grandfather had owned one about 20 years ago. I've been looking for one for myself and found a candidate R129. It is 2002 Silver Edition with low miles. (only wanted silver color)

I test drove today but disappointed a bit with the current condition of it as i could see many imperfections compared to pictures I was given. (I know it is almost 20 years old and I'm not expecting as if it is a brand new car

Seller was asking $12K and I have negotiated down to $10.5K but want to ask experienced owners if I should purchase or stay away from this particular one.

Problems: --- (I was not able to lift up the car)
1. Front passenger side rim got damaged. it seems like it got scraped one side against curb or something.
2. It makes some clunking sounds from the front passenger side when steering wheel is turned all the way to either right or left. so i guess it could be the axle or ball joint issue.
3. The front passenger side blinker has been replaced but it does not seem fit correctly. not sure if it is an after market part with bad fitment
4. I could feel the engine shoots up when I tested engine mount by putting brakes and pressing gas pedal in R or D gear position - could be bad motor mount.
5. It seems like there is an oil leak between engine and transmission when I lie down and looked under the car.
6. seller mentioned some issues with soft top convertible and he had the hardtop on it when he showed the car. --> I guess this could be a common issue
7. Leather seats were good condition as I did not see any creases or tear but those white leather portion were pretty dirty... I'm not sure if I can remove those discoloration.
8. It seems like blinkers are not turning off itself after making a turn. I needed to manually turn them off. (my 94 W124 and 11 X164 don't do that... in fact, all cars I have driven so far turns blinkers off by itself)
9. the wood trim on center console has been damaged and parts of it came off
10. in addition to #4 above, i heard some loud noise randomly when i changed gears from P to R.

Other than above, i saw several spots with paint nicks and car pulls strong.

Do you think I should get it or stay away from it?

Thanks in advance.
Should I run or hug
Old 10-15-2020, 08:03 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
The very FIRST thing is to pay for and GET a Prepurchase Inspection and report from a Mercedes Dealer. cost maybe $250 best money to ever spend. That will find lots more things needing fixing and give cost estimates. A top not working CAN BE a $10,000 fix. Wood trim replacements on EBAY very reasonable. Turn signal auto cancel a low cost replace broken plastic lever, Engine mounts replace is a $1000- job Oil leaks are very common, valve cover gaskets likely. Need to pin down the leak.

fixing minor curb rash a $100 job unless the wheel bent. Never consider purchasing a 'sick' R-129 until you KNOW what ails it.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:16 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Kebowers47
The very FIRST thing is to pay for and GET a Prepurchase Inspection and report from a Mercedes Dealer. cost maybe $250 best money to ever spend. That will find lots more things needing fixing and give cost estimates. A top not working CAN BE a $10,000 fix. Wood trim replacements on EBAY very reasonable. Turn signal auto cancel a low cost replace broken plastic lever, Engine mounts replace is a $1000- job Oil leaks are very common, valve cover gaskets likely. Need to pin down the leak.

fixing minor curb rash a $100 job unless the wheel bent. Never consider purchasing a 'sick' R-129 until you KNOW what ails it.
I guess you can throw a welcome hug for me for joining the R129 SL club

As I reported above, most of my concerns were resolved.

- The soft top is working fine but the windows need to be cleaned so I ordered a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX and try to restore before I look for other solution.
- one of hydraulic cylinders is leaking and planning to remove all of cylinders and send it for rebuilt.
- There is very small amount of oil leakage (it seems like it has started not too long ago) from the driver side valve cover and planning to take care of it soon.
- Engine and tranny mounts are fine but a bushing was missing so it caused some rough gear changes. (my mechanic just installed the missing bushing)
- ordered some leather cleaner and conditioner to clean the leather seats before taking to detailing shop
- planning to take it to wheel repair shops next week to get estimates for damaged trim rings.
- my mechanic is doing the tranny service so i should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R129: Seeking advices on buying 2002 SL500