SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 99 SL500 help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 SL500 help needed

Hi,

Shortly after acquiring 02 Silver Arrow Edition SL500, I began searching for another R129 and bought 99 SL500 with 105K miles.
I found a few problems with it... and I appreciate if someone can help me with those problems below or direct me to the right direction.

1. The CEL light came on with P0170 and P0173 codes - ordered a new MAF sensor. plan to clean with a MAF cleaner first and replace it if it does not work.
2. Seat belt warning sign is on... what could be the problem?
3. The headlight switch began malfunctioning today and I guess I will have to replace it.
4. It has a wrong rearview mirror... according to the dealer where I bought it, they told me it was missing so they had another one put on.. - it seems like very expensive even on the Ebay and wondering if I could get from other MB models such as W140.
5. it came with xenon headlights and the driver side corner light lens flew off while I was driving back to home. Are those corner lights for xenon headlight different than non-xenon headlight?

Thank you
Old 11-19-2020, 10:32 PM

anyone?
Old 11-19-2020, 10:49 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts
1997 MB SL600
1. If the MAF is the original, then it's not a bad idea to get a new one. Make sure it is genuine (about $300 if I recall). If you get the original working with the MAF cleaner, keep it for later.
2. When ever I had a problem with the seatbelt light, it was the seat back latches not latching correctly. With both seats latched back, go to the rear of the car and see if one of the seats looks canted to the other. On my car, it turned out that the motor that controls the seat back rest tilting back was out of sync and the seat looked canted from behind the car.
3. Change out the light switch, not a big deal like the turn signal.
4. I don't know about the mirror, you are going to have to do more research or ask MB.
5. Eject the surviving corner light and get it's pair from the MB number stamped on the assembly. Now would be a good time to get the MB Euro spec single color frosted corner lights.

Let us know what happens.
The following users liked this post:
Billmitchelletc (01-05-2021)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by mahunt
1. If the MAF is the original, then it's not a bad idea to get a new one. Make sure it is genuine (about $300 if I recall). If you get the original working with the MAF cleaner, keep it for later.
2. When ever I had a problem with the seatbelt light, it was the seat back latches not latching correctly. With both seats latched back, go to the rear of the car and see if one of the seats looks canted to the other. On my car, it turned out that the motor that controls the seat back rest tilting back was out of sync and the seat looked canted from behind the car.
4. I don't know about the mirror, you are going to have to do more research or ask MB.
5. Eject the surviving corner light and get it's pair from the MB number stamped on the assembly. Now would be a good time to get the MB Euro spec single color frosted corner lights.

Thank you for your resoonse. I ordered a Bosch MAF from FCPEURO and will see if the orginial one can get cleaned and I will try what you said about the seat belt light issue.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:53 PM

Where can I get those euro spec corner lights? I just called a local MB dealer and they won't sell those...
Old 11-20-2020, 03:12 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts
1997 MB SL600
I got them from a company in Europe 345 something dot com, but they were made by TYC.

Left side.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYC-Clear-C...EAAOSwTpld96Bo
Right side.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYC-Clear-C...AAAOSwcZ1cJe0x

ALL replacement clips are brittle and fail. I modify mine with a screw so the metal clip is anchored to the assembly.
The following users liked this post:
Benzallo (11-22-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 PM

I got them from a company in Europe 345 something dot com, but they were made by TYC.

Left side.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYC-Clear-C...EAAOSwTpld96Bo
Right side.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYC-Clear-C...AAAOSwcZ1cJe0x

ALL replacement clips are brittle and fail. I modify mine with a screw so the metal clip is anchored to the assembly.
Thank you and I've seen those but was not sure if those were OEM. I'll order the pair.

Last edited by taeandji; 11-20-2020 at 11:58 PM.