SL/R129: Trouble sealing extra holes on a water pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 sl320
Trouble sealing extra holes on a water pump

1997 SL 320.
I replaced my water pump with one from Beck/Arnley, but the new one came with a few extra 14mm holes. On the original part it just had the one hole for the temp sensor.
The original part used an aluminum crush washer to seal the brass sensor against the water pump block, but when I moved the sensor and new crush washer over it drips out as shown in the picture below. I inevitably broke the first sensor torqueing it down when it slipped, which was fine because I now had 2 extra holes to plug up. I'm using a Honda oil plug + Buna oring on the third lower hole which has a recessed bolt seating area that doesn't allow for a good seal with a crush washer. Their were no extra lines that went to this pump originally so I'm assuming this part is used on a few cars or I got a mixed up part.
I bought HNBR orings to replace the crush washers, but is their a better way to seal the plugs to the pump?

Usless red circle I know, nut thats where the problem is.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
1999 SL600
Originally Posted by Carefulee
1997 SL 320.
I replaced my water pump with one from Beck/Arnley, but the new one came with a few extra 14mm holes. On the original part it just had the one hole for the temp sensor.
The original part used an aluminum crush washer to seal the brass sensor against the water pump block, but when I moved the sensor and new crush washer over it drips out as shown in the picture below. I inevitably broke the first sensor torqueing it down when it slipped, which was fine because I now had 2 extra holes to plug up. I'm using a Honda oil plug + Buna oring on the third lower hole which has a recessed bolt seating area that doesn't allow for a good seal with a crush washer. Their were no extra lines that went to this pump originally so I'm assuming this part is used on a few cars or I got a mixed up part.
I bought HNBR orings to replace the crush washers, but is their a better way to seal the plugs to the pump?

Usless red circle I know, nut thats where the problem is.
use a dealer network website like this to verify you have the right part number (by vin) https://parts.calstarmercedes.com

then find the oe part. If you can’t, then genuine ONLY.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:46 PM

97 sl320
Originally Posted by sushipaste
use a dealer network website like this to verify you have the right part number (by vin) https://parts.calstarmercedes.com

then find the oe part. If you can’t, then genuine ONLY.
I purchased this pump based on the original parts numbers. Manufacturers site lists: "Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 1042004901, 559344, A104200490" as applicable which matches up with the site you gave me for the correct model/year.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:11 PM

97 sl320
Also that doesn't solve my how to seal the temperature sender, as the included aluminum crush washer doesn't actually seal it to the block, but thank you for the added parts number resource.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:03 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
1999 SL600
Originally Posted by Carefulee
Also that doesn't solve my how to seal the temperature sender, as the included aluminum crush washer doesn't actually seal it to the block, but thank you for the added parts number resource.
the solution is to buy oe or genuine, then there’s no extra holes to deal with. Beck Arnley I don’t even think has ever supplied anything to Mercedes from factory. I think they supply American cars but I’m pretty sure their parts are crap for our German cars.

I highly suggest doing the water pump project the right way with the right part to avoid headache leaks and potential overheating...