SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Help with 1993 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 SL500
Help with 1993 SL500

Hi! Thanks you letting me join the forum, I'm seeking advice and a little help to start my SL500.

I've bought her recently and she's been sitting for about 7 years, the fuel distributor was replaced recently but someone dumb tried to start her with all the dirt in the system.

I've cleaned the system and got all that out, installed two new fuel pumps and filter, but I think the distributor is paying the consequences of what I said before, first, it didn't show any gas, but it was reaching the distributor. After taking it out three times and cleaning it without taking it apart, now it sends gas through the fuel pipes when the pump is priming, and if I push the plate beside the distributor, it sends a stream of gas through the pipes.

The engine turns but doesn't start, I've managed to start her putting some gasoline in the plate opening, and when she started I had to give her full gas to keep her at 1500 ~ 2000 rpms, but had to release as she kept Climbing revs, but very slowly.

When cranking, she makes a little jump like trying to start, but doesn't.

The spark plugs are in good shape and I've read that I can bypass the pumps relay to make them work continuously, but can't find it

The distributor was bought refurbished by the previous owner but he says he just installed it but didn't crank it.

After the cleaning I did, she releases gas through the pipes, but don't know the amount she has to put out when cranking

New pumps

I don't know what else to do, is there any chance I might've put the pumps wires wrong? But the thing is that the lower pump turns with the key and sends gas when priming and I also have pressure in the system, if I release one of the pipes, fuel comes out pressurized.

I have a coil that is not working, it has 12v but the spark plugs it manages don't put out spark, the one hidden behind the ABS pump, does make spark on the 4 cylinders it manages.

Yesterday she started but the curious thing is that she had very few fuel in the tank, now with 10l in the tank, she doesn't even make a little jump.