SL/R129: Not the Usual Wheel Spacer Question I Promise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
1997 SL500
Not the Usual Wheel Spacer Question I Promise

Hi Gang,
So, I'm not here to ask about wheel spacer thickness, center bore diameter, or bolt patterns.
I just bought a set of H&R 12mm 5x112 (66,6 center bore) spacers (part number:2455668) and they do fit, except.......
The chamfer of the aftermarket wheels going on the car isn't "deep" enough for the "raised" chamfer of the wheel spacer to allow a super flush fit. (really close but not 100%)
Please keep in mind that the raised center bore section of the spacer fits perfectly within the aftermarket wheel, and the do sit 99.8% flush against each other, but not 100%.
I spent a ton of time looking for spacers for my 1997 R129, and in the end I settled on the H&R's because they were the only ones that allegedly fit.
I'm assuming that if these spacers were going on the stock wheels they would sit perfectly flush.
Here's my idea (that I'm sure many in here will talk me out of) I'm thinking about slightly increasing the angle of the chamfer (on the wheels) so that the raised section of the spacer will sink in enough to give me the flush fit that I need.
If any of you experts know of any spacers that are better suited for aftermarket wheels that will also have the dimensional requirements I need: (5x112 bolt pattern) (66.6 center bore) (12mm thick), please let me know.

Thanks in advance.....

Old 06-10-2021, 08:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
1997 SL500
Follow up,
So, nobody tried to talk me out of my idea to reduce the chamfer on the wheel side, so I bought a 45 degree cone chamfer mandrel along with a few cone sanding discs and I proceeded to slowly work the recessed chamfer on the wheel down a bit.
It didn't take much sanding, and it worked like a charm.
The 12mm H&R spacers I bought now sit nice & flush against the wheel hub with no rocking and the 66.6 center bore ring on the spacer fits within the wheel hub-side snug so there's no play and no slop.
I'll attach pictures of the tools I bought along with link in case anybody ever runs into this issue.
This was the best way to resolve my problem without having to ship the spacers back and continually buy many more sets until I found a set that sat flush.
Plus I now have these tools in my tool box that I'm sure I can use for other things, or even possibly for wheels again in the future if I ever run into this problem again.

Link:
https://goodson.com/collections/cham...ones-mandrels\

Last edited by Never-Again; 06-11-2021 at 07:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Never-Again:
FATHERTIME (06-12-2021), whitee (07-01-2021)