SL/R129: Ignition lock issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 SL 300-24
Ignition lock issues

Hello,
After beeing able to drive the car around for a couple of weeks, it even did the budapest rally, we are facing a new problem.... The car was moved with the in my opinion wrong key(the round one of the 2) and after we were unable to remove the key from the ignition. Looked around on forums and eventually got the key out, this required some force and probably damaged something. Afterwards we were still unable to turn the key and after even trying the backmassager option to get to move to position 1 to get a new tumbler in, it eventually broke.
So now I have a car that is immoble because of the steering lock and gear shifter lock.I suppose the actual problem was that the column lock desintegrated when the wrong key was used and locked it 'forever' as a result.
My questions are:
- How do I best remove the lock from the colums as i am unable to turn the key? Its impossible to remove the bolt that holds the lock in place...
- Are there different types of ignition switches? The reason I ask is because when in the car it looks plastic like all the others with the gearbox lock, except the electrical connectors are ON TOP instead of on the bottom
I see on the most of them.
- Does the key need to be in the 1 position to be able to push and slide the electrical connector?

Any tips/advice is appreciated.