SL/R129: R129 experience at the track or autocross

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2004 | 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
R129 experience at the track or autocross

Does any one out there push their R129 to the limit for cornering?

I have read the car has a slight tendancy to under steer.

I have felt this in slow 90 degree corners when giving too much gas.

I have felt this on cold / damp pavement when taking a ramps a little to fast.

I also felt the understeer today on dry, warm but dusty pavement when I found a vacant parking lot with no one arround. I set out to go around and around in a 300 ft diameter +/- (steering wheet at 1/2 turn +/-) at increaseing speeds to see what would happen. I would be backing off at just over 60 Km/Hr due to my circle getting bigger and the curbs on two sides getting closer.

I never lost control (ESP on or off) but I don't think I got anywhere near .81 G's the car is supposed to withstand. Likely due to the sand & dust on the pavement.

I have felt a lot better going through twisty 30 Km corners at more than double the posted speed ... than I did today going arround and arround my skid pad.

From others experience, when pushing the R129 trough corners ... where / when do the laws of physics applied to this heavy car overwhelm the ESP systems ... or the cars handeling potential without ESP?

I personally feel more comfortable with the sensation of over steer (from skidding arround since being a teenager learning to drive in snow & ice) than under steer. What do others think of this?

Last edited by ChrisB; 09-25-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2004 | 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Does any one out there push their R129 to the limit for cornering?

I have read the car has a slight tendancy to under steer.

I have felt this in slow 90 degree corners when giving too much gas.

I have felt this on cold / damp pavement when taking a ramps a little to fast.

I also felt the understeer today on dry, warm but dusty pavement when I found a vacant parking lot with no one arround. I set out to go around and around in a 300 ft diameter +/- (steering wheet at 1/2 turn +/-) at increaseing speeds to see what would happen. I would be backing off at just over 60 Km/Hr due to my circle getting bigger and the curbs on two sides getting closer.

I never lost control (ESP on or off) but I don't think I got anywhere near .81 G's the car is supposed to withstand. Likely due to the sand & dust on the pavement.

I have felt a lot better going through twisty 30 Km corners at more than double the posted speed ... than I did today going arround and arround my skid pad.

From others experience, when pushing the R129 trough corners ... where / when do the laws of physics applied to this heavy car overwhelm the ESP systems ... or the cars handeling potential without ESP?

I personally feel more comfortable with the sensation of over steer (from skidding arround since being a teenager learning to drive in snow & ice) than under steer. What do others think of this?
Hello, Chris B......You must having fun.... ..I push my car to the max. ....Where I have my car spin 360 degree 4 time... :v .....In a big parking lot......Damm it was fun.... .....From that kind of experience you know what your car can do.. ....
Old 09-26-2004 | 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
SL BRABUS ... "I have my car spin 360 degree 4 time".

You must be shuting off the ESP. Or your model does not have ESP.

Do you drive say 60 mph and then suddenly spin the steering wheel to lock under full power?

Does the suspension handel that rough treatment gracefully?
Old 09-26-2004 | 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Originally Posted by ChrisB
SL BRABUS ... "I have my car spin 360 degree 4 time".

You must be shuting off the ESP. Or your model does not have ESP.

Do you drive say 60 mph and then suddenly spin the steering wheel to lock under full power?

Does the suspension handel that rough treatment gracefully?
Chris B.....I do not have ESP......I have ASR......You can say I doing about 60 mph and spin the steering wheel about 1 turn........The suspension work great because I got the Brabus suspension......no body roll but ride hard......The stock suspension have alot of body roll and the car fell floating, if you know what I mean.......