SL/R129: Starting from scratch, fuel and ignition setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 500SL, 1981 380SL, 2003 clk430
Unhappy Starting from scratch, fuel and ignition setup

All,

Until two weeks ago I had a nice running 91 500SL with 110k miles on it. I just replaced the EHA, fuel regulator, it was dripping, and I'm having an issue getting it running right.

Ideally, what I'd like help with is a beginning to end fuel system calibration guide and the same for the ignition system so that I know that everything is within specs for the car. In my mind, if it's set up correctly, it'll be reliable.

Where I am right now. I have the new EHA regulator installed and have taken several guesses at where it should be set. No luck. The car runs but shakes like a bronco. Essentially, I know the rest of the engine/car is fine since I started this "trip" by needing to replace a dripping EHA, that's all.

Can someone please point me to/help me/guide me in the right direction? I'd really like to make sure the idle, duty cycles and everything possible is set up right. I've seen several posts that get me part of the way there but I thought it would help others too with a "start here" and "finish here" guide working up from a non-starter to a smooth runner. Pictures would be great as well, since I know I'm going to need to measure fuel pressures and differential pressures. I have a good set of gauges and voltmeter with a frequency setting and pretty much anything else I'll need...

I'll gladly document the process and add to the guide whenever required.

Thanks!

P