SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: SLs in the UK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazda 323
SLs in the UK

As my profile states, I'm not a Merc owner - yet - but likely to go down that way. I've been hanging my nose over the SL. Initially looking at the 320, but a bit perturbed at the potential of the head gasket issue. Of course, I've also seen mention of looking at the 500 if I can afford it since its not much worse on fuel consumption. I've found one, looks pretty good from the ad - early 96 reg, 15500 UKP (*cough*) - question is, (for the UK owners)...whats the average annual outlay maintenance-wise? Cost of service? Potential failure prospects of the model?
Old 10-02-2004, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 R129
Always look for one with history. The rule is that the cheapest Mercedes you buy is the most expensive Mercedes.

Other than that, if it is a well maintained car, you should not have a lot of issues. Make sure you check for A pillar leakage, and top mechanism is in working order. Those two are the most common problems and the top mechanism is rather expansive to fix. To check for leakage, run the car through a car wash and look for water leakage.

Depending on the mileage you put on the car. My maintenance cost is $40 a year since I drive mine less than three thousands miles a year. And it is for the cost to change oil at the dealer. However, it costed me $1,000 for the 15,000 miles service. Other than that, it has been pretty low maintanence for me.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Normal servicing costs are reasonable - if you go to an independent, an oil service every 9k miles is £300, a maintenance service is £600. Tyres are £100 each, brakes and pads for the whole car cost £400 - £500. The issue you have is that anything major is big money - my SL600 had its gearboxc rebuilt, £2700 (£5200 new). Exhaust catalysts are £1000+, a new aircon condenser is £3k+, a new soft top £1500, hydraulic control unit for it and the roll bar £1500 and so on. Whether you will ever need any of these is of course a question of luck, but if you are buying an SL500 which is 8 years old, you need to understand that what you would lose on depreciation with a new car will instead be spent on maintenance so that, over a 3 year life, the overall running cost is much the same.

My advice is to only buy a car which is completely original and which has full service history. Look at an extended warranty if one is available but only one which covers electrics and hydraulics which are the most likely to fail. Providing the engine has had its oil changes, it will outlast the fancy bits.