SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Air Mass Sensor, need part number

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL500, designo blue and 2004 C320S
Air Mass Sensor, need part number

1992 SL300, VIN WDBFA61E3NF057803, need some help.

My MBZ "Engine/Chassis/Units illustrated parts book shows on page 47, under injection, in group 07 015 a blow up of the parts associated with the AMS/MAS? as well as selected other parts of the injection system.

The MAS looks like a little "tower" in the book and reference is madeto a #44 repair kit which I purchased today from MBZ with part number A 102 070 01 74. The reason I got the entire kit is because the parts book shows it contained what looks like a rubber spacer (identified as a #47) which sits on top of and sort of looks like it insets into the top of the sensor tower. I have been unsuccessful buying the spacer by itself. I hoped it would be contained in the repair kit.

Since that little tower insets into an indentation in the bottom half of the air cleaner housing, I speculate that rubber spacer is built to smush down a bit when the air cleaner housing is put in place so there is a smooth flow of air from above the air cleaner housing top through a special rubber grommet that fits into an opening in the air cleaner housing top down through a hole in the bottom of the air cleaner and right into the top of the MAS housing.

I tried ordering that #47 alone, and a ball bearing was delivered to me. The parts clerk suggested buying the $25 repair kit, because "he said" often the only way to get some parts was to buy the repair kit. I bought the repair kit only to find it included the same ball bearing but no rubber bushing. Even though I won't use it right now -- I think I'll hold onto the repair kit for the future.

It is clear the ball bearing is to sit in an indentation right at the top of the AMS housing, but what keeps it from bouncing out if I can't locate and put in place the missing rubber bushing?

Right now, my car is running with no little ball bearing in place at the top of the MAS and of course there is no rubber bushing either.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Chuck