SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: soft top mystery, please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SL500
soft top mystery, please help!

I have a 1999 R129, main lift cylinders were leaking so i replaced the seals, once done the main lift seals i could not operate the top because the battery was dead and found to be bad so i had to replace the battery. with the new battery in i tried the soft top switch and it didnt work, neither did the windows so i manually locked the top and the top worked good for a day and the next day the other cylinders were leaking so i decided to replace seals in the front and rear locks and the tonnue cover, i completed those repairs....filled the pump with fluid and tried the switch but now nothing works....no windows, no top, no roll bar, and the roll bar is in the up position and the roll bar light is on in the dash also and the switch for the soft top is solid red.....also (hopefully related) the throttle pedal is not responsive. the car starts but no response from the throttle, it just idles. there are no codes in the OBDII port, the 38 pin port is not working, i borrowed a snap on scan tool from a mechanic friend but the scan tool powers on but cannot connect to the computer for some reason, it keeps saying no connections, make sure the key is on"...i've checked all the fuses, disconnected the battery, manually locked the top, nothing worked, i've checked the micro switches at the front and they are not bent and manually move into position when the front locks, I've disconnected the battery overnight, rechecked my work many times, physically removed the fuses and inspected them.....i think the roll bar is the key but i am out of things to check or try....any help is appricieated