SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Battery Solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 10:52 PM

Received 194 Likes on 152 Posts
1997 MB SL600
Battery Solution

I recently forgot to close my trunk lid on my car and left it open for 5 days.

When I returned, my battery was all but dead due to the trunk light being on. I tried to recharge the battery, but it's a H8 AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery and doesn't really respond to regular/conventional battery chargers when near death. After trying to recharge the battery with my regular chargers and from experience with AGM batteries for my jetski and jet boat, I thought it might be time to give up and replace the battery. Unfortunately, the battery costs about $280 and I wasn't thrilled in getting another.

I did a little searching online and found a Viking battery charger from Harbor Freight that specializes in AGM and GEL type batteries. For $60 I decided to try it out. The charger (model 56796) is small, light and a little fan blows when it is working. It has an LED information screen and 5 mode buttons, one of which is repair.

The repair option figures out what's wrong with your battery: dead, discharged, sulphated, etc. And tries to recover the battery or tell you it's hopeless.

After leaving the charger on all night, the battery was recharged (and reconditioned, I suppose) by morning. Now I wish I had one of my old jetski AGM batteries to see if this thing could bring it back.
The following 2 users liked this post by mahunt:
BoatWaco (09-13-2023), petgre1028 (09-14-2023)