SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 97 SL600 Electrical Issue? VVT, soft top stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ml430
97 SL600 Electrical Issue? VVT, soft top stuck

I am recently having trouble with my mostly reliable SL600. I developed a rough idle that has seemingly gotten worse over a short period of time. A CEL was triggered and i was able to pull a couple codes:
-P1519: Intake Manifold runner control stuck closed (my research on other forums reflects that this is a passenger side issue)
-P0170: Fuel Trim

I dug through tons of threads and it lead me to believe it was an issue with the variable valve timing on the passenger side. I decided to replace the Camshaft magnetic solenoid on that side because it was a cheap part with easy access to it. I did the replacement yesterday and hoped for the best but it didnt seem to work. Idle is still quite rough...

So now i am thinking i have an electrical issue. I look at the fuse box under the hood and discover that i am missing the slot 36, 7.5a fuse for the VVT?! Is that normal? SO confused...
I take a spare 7.5a fuse and put it into slot 36 and it doesn't hold tight in the slot. Regardless, the fuse didnt help either.
Could this be my issue? Could this fuse have been missing the whole time with no issue for my past 3 years of ownership?

Upon hooking the battery back up, i also got the ESP/ABS lights on now and the soft top got stuck in mid operation...ughhh. So now i have multiple issues. Thinking there are some reset procedures i can do for these issues? Someone mentioned turning the steering wheel all the way left and right and that should resolve the ESP/ABS.

I'm quite flustered on the process so far and looking for a little guidance to tackle these issues. please help if you can...