SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Soft Top Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL 320
Unhappy Soft Top Problems

I purchased my 1996 SL 320 about three months ago. After spending about 4000.00 on various items, I found that I had to replace three cylinders for my soft top. I was losing a lot of hydraulic fluid and found out that the problem was with one or more cylinders. I was also told that the new cylinders would create more preasure on the older cylinders and could cause them to go. As many of you may know, there are 12 cylinders in the top assembly.

I use a shop specializing in MB's here in Naples Florida.So far, I have paid 1700.00 top repair the cylinders. How many of you have had the same problem and what did you end up spending to solve the the problem?

This is a 50K miles car and I really love it but, I may have to sell it if it continues to cost me thousands of dollars every time I turn around.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 PM

1995 SL 320
top problems

Well I am finally glad to find another honest,upfront SL320 owner.I was beginning to think that I was the only SL320 owner who was spending thousands.My 1995 has 92,500 miles on it and so far the convertible top is running fine.I suspect that many of the hydraulics have already been replaced.I bought the car 7 months ago and have now spent around $5000 getting it into tip top shape.My next project ( they really never end) is replacing 5 harnesses in the engine compartment.The maine engine harness was replaced in 1999 by Mercedes.I have done 2 myself...both power harnesses,one to the alternator and one to the starter solenoid.2 are left..2 biggies I might add.The engine wiring harness ( body mounted $575) and the Throttle motor assembly harness $440.Then I should be done with the harness problems on the 1995 model.I am doing the back brakes myself for $150 in parts.My only issue then is the passenger seat seatback switch which needs replacing or cleaning to stop the buzzer from sounding and the red light of the cluster from glowing all of the time.So I have found out the painful way that you really need to drop about $6000 or so on these cars to fix everything when you first get it.Then take one thing at a time as it breaks.It takes patience,patience,patience.Any simple parts replacements,polishing,O2 sensors,ect you have to buy online and replace yourself to keep ownership costs within reason.Next to maybe a Rolls or a Lamborghini or a Ferrari,this is the most expensive cars to keep up in tip top shape that there is.You must be meticulous with this car and not break anything.Keep the leather interior impeccably clean and keep all fluids in the entire car fresh and clean.Good luck.Good driving.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
This mirrors my own experience with a 129. I had different items fail (gearbox, airbag controller, wiring loom short) but in my last year of ownership the car cost me a pile of money. I never had problems with the roof hydraulics but we're in the world of statistical sampling here. As the cars age, a percentage of the these will fail, a percentage of those will fail and so on so we'll each have slightly different experiences.

The issue is that these cars will rarely reach the traditional end of life points - worn out engines and rotting bodies because the anciliaries will have long since become uneconomic to repair. You don't have to replace the soft top hydraulics to get from A to B but it doesn't make much sense to have an SL if you don't.

But what happens when faced with one repair after another, where do you call a halt?

I decided to move my SL600 on, great though it was, when I had those three failures in as many months. That said, my 911 which replaced it has already cost me more than keeping the SL600 would likely have done. The one thing about these SLs now is that you are not losing a pile in depreciation even if they are expensive to maintain.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 AM

1996 SL 320
Wink

SL3204ME and Blue SL,

Thanks for your comments.It looks like I have wiring problems to look forward to in the near future although, my repair advisor told me the problem was resolved by 1996.I don't turn wrenches myself so I must rely on pros to do the work.

Prior to purchasing my SL 320, I had a 1965 Plymouth Satellite Muscle Car. I thought that was an expensive car to own until I got the SL 320. I think I'll keep the SL a little longer and will most likely sell it. They just come with too much expensive baggage. When there are no problems they sure a great car to drive.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Originally Posted by cudaus1
This is a 50K miles car and I really love it but, I may have to sell it if it continues to cost me thousands of dollars every time I turn around.
I hope it does not come to that.

The depriciation is a a minimum for a quality car.