SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Can't drive in the rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't drive in the rain

Wipers make enough noise to make the car not driveable in the rain. It is the loud and irritating noise of rubber streaking on glass. The noise is more than an incovenience, it is very loud. I did a search in this forum, followed all suggestions: new blades (two different sets) , RainX, wax, cleaning windshield with Bon Ami, etc, to no avail. The dealer used a special tool to adjust the wiper arms, but that did not help either. Reading this forum it appears this problem was common only in sl500 launch edition. When I requested to have the wiper arms replaced with those of a newer model the service advisor, who was very courteous and understanding, indicated that it was a common problem of all the SLs and Ss classes. Can anybody shed some light on this problem. You can imagine my problem living in Southern California this year.

On a side note, the April issue of Automobile has an interesting article on Mercedes Benz and other German automobiles. Losing the Luster "A few years ago, no one questioned German automobile quality. But these days, A Hunday is a better bet than a Volkswagen" German costumer satisfaction ranks MB 32 out 33. However, they rank Mercedes number one in German Image Ranking.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by josh12
Wipers make enough noise to make the car not driveable in the rain. It is the loud and irritating noise of rubber streaking on glass. The noise is more than an incovenience, it is very loud. I did a search in this forum, followed all suggestions: new blades (two different sets) , RainX, wax, cleaning windshield with Bon Ami, etc, to no avail. The dealer used a special tool to adjust the wiper arms, but that did not help either. Reading this forum it appears this problem was common only in sl500 launch edition. When I requested to have the wiper arms replaced with those of a newer model the service advisor, who was very courteous and understanding, indicated that it was a common problem of all the SLs and Ss classes. Can anybody shed some light on this problem. You can imagine my problem living in Southern California this year.

On a side note, the April issue of Automobile has an interesting article on Mercedes Benz and other German automobiles. Losing the Luster "A few years ago, no one questioned German automobile quality. But these days, A Hunday is a better bet than a Volkswagen" German costumer satisfaction ranks MB 32 out 33. However, they rank Mercedes number one in German Image Ranking.
You have defective or out-lived wiper blades. Just get new ones.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
S-Class and SL-Class

I have experienced your problem on my S500 and my SL600. My S500 was so bad I described it as dragging 2x4's across the window. Had the wipers changed, arms changed wasn't any better. I kept having them change the blades some were better and some were not. The one thing that really helped was when I started spraying the windshield with Mercedes Benz Quick Whipe. I just had my wipers changed on my SL600 and they seemed louder after the change, so I used the quick wipe and it is a lot better. I use the product as a window cleaner it works well.

You may want to try it, it works for me.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:11 AM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
Smile

Originally Posted by josh12

I have a 2003 Launch Edition--- I find that changing (installing) NEW wiper blades every 18 months solves the problem nicely. No adjustments needed otherwise.

Giff Albright State College, PA gha1@psu.edu
Old 03-19-2005, 10:03 AM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
Originally Posted by StephenK
I have experienced your problem on my S500 and my SL600. My S500 was so bad I described it as dragging 2x4's across the window. Had the wipers changed, arms changed wasn't any better. I kept having them change the blades some were better and some were not. The one thing that really helped was when I started spraying the windshield with Mercedes Benz Quick Whipe. I just had my wipers changed on my SL600 and they seemed louder after the change, so I used the quick wipe and it is a lot better. I use the product as a window cleaner it works well.

You may want to try it, it works for me.
Did you has pics of the MB quick whipe to see it???
Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the advice. Mercedes acknowledged the problem and has developed a special tool to remedy it, however, in my case it did not work. I tried three new sets of blades purchased at two dealerships in case they had a bad batch. I also tried the quick detailer product but only worked for a few strokes. It should be noted that when the car is stationary the wipers are quiet, but once at speed they start getting very noisy, probably due to wind pressure.

I must apologize for this most boring post, but I need the help as it will continue raining for a few more days in SoCal.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Have not experience that problem at all. We have a lot of monsoons and all ways thought the wipers were quiet.