SL/R230: My trunk is leaking again on the SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
My trunk is leaking again on the SL

Memphis had about a 6-hour monsoon. The sun came up and I decided go home from work, so I put my computer in the trunk. I noticed both sides of the truck partition flap is soaking wet.

I think there is a design flaw on the rubber seals around the trunk. All the rubber seals/gaskets around the trunk got replaced in January, because of the same problem.

The sad part of the story is that Mercedes customer care is not aware of the problem.

Hemm, I know of over 36 R230 SL owners have the same leaking water problem in the trunk as me. Are you fellow SL owners reporting your problems to Mercedes customer care? It always seem like I am the only one with problems when I talk to them
Attached Thumbnails My trunk is leaking again on the SL-leak2.jpg  

Last edited by tiggerfink; 04-06-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:01 PM

2003 SL500
Count me as one who has had the leaking trunk problem. Dealer fixed it (warranty). I have not contcated MBUSA directly, but surely one would expect that they are tracking warranty repairs?

In my case, they spent several days locating the cause of the leak (C pillar seals, apparently) and getting replaement parts, so if this is a known problem and the subject of a TSB, the dealer must not have been aware of it.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Leaking trunk

It took the dealer three times and two trunk seal replacements to stop the leaks in mine! The way they told the story the last time is they put a "small" mechanic in the trunk with a light and flodded the car with water so they could see where the second seal was leaking! It turns out they had to bend the metal uner the seal so that it made good contact! It seems like it's fixed....for now!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 (New 2002 Shape)
I am now one my second SL R230 and both cars have had water leaks into the trunk. The dealer never fixed the first car and they still after four attempts, the new car still leaks water into the trunk.The car goes in on the 18/4/2005 for another attempt. The UK it's raining and the boot is damp.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
The service advisor called me today and he told me that all the rubber seals around the trunk will be replace. Dealer will order the seal kit that consists of 3 rubber seals.

So my car will be spending the weekend at the dealer hospital.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by pilot20
Boy you guys are like Debbie Downer from Sat Night Live. Instead of looking at the trunk as being half empty with water you should cheer up and consider it to be half full.

There is a good angle to this as well. You may have water in the trunk but, admit it, no mushrooms are growing there (yet).

Looked at from this perspective these messages would qualify for the "Let's Post Some Positives!" thread.
You are still dreaming. I thought you would be awake by now.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by pilot20
Didn't find it funny?

Oh, well. I guess nobody does when the joke's on them.
Oh...sorry.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I did not get it.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Here we go again!

Originally Posted by cwoods817
It took the dealer three times and two trunk seal replacements to stop the leaks in mine! The way they told the story the last time is they put a "small" mechanic in the trunk with a light and flodded the car with water so they could see where the second seal was leaking! It turns out they had to bend the metal uner the seal so that it made good contact! It seems like it's fixed....for now!
Now for the fouth time, the car hits the hospital for a leaty trunk! I washed the car today and the interior of the trunk was wet on both sides! I really thought they had it the last time. I already had an appointment to take it in because the exhaust sounds like it has marbles in it! By best guess, it heeds a catalytic converter. Oh well, what do youexpect for 28,000 miles.....
Old 04-10-2005, 09:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Oh well, what do youexpect for 28,000 miles.....
and $95,000.00!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Now for the fouth time, the car hits the hospital for a leaty trunk! I washed the car today and the interior of the trunk was wet on both sides! I really thought they had it the last time. I already had an appointment to take it in because the exhaust sounds like it has marbles in it! By best guess, it heeds a catalytic converter. Oh well, what do youexpect for 28,000 miles.....
Does the lemon laws applied to a leaking trunk?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:03 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Generally, if the defect hurts the resale value of the car it applies.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Part of the TN lemon law.

[Acts 1986, ch. 857, § 4.]

55-24-205. Presumptions - Term of protection - Notice to manufacturer.

(a) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties, if:

(1) The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four (4) or more times by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers, but such nonconformity continues to exist; or

(2) The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty (30) or more calendar days during the term of protection.

(b) The term of protection and such thirty-day period shall be extended by any period of time during which repair services are not available to the consumer because of a war, invasion, strike or fire, flood or other natural disaster.

(c) It shall be the responsibility of the consumer, or the representative of the consumer, prior to proceeding under the provisions of § 55-24-203, to give written notification by certified mail directly to the manufacturer of the need for the correction or repair of the nonconformity. If the address of the manufacturer is not readily available to the consumer in the owner's manual or manufacturer's warranty received by the consumer at the time of purchase of the motor vehicle, such written notification shall be mailed to an authorized dealer. The authorized dealer shall upon receipt forward such notification to the manufacturer. If, at the time such notice is given, either of the conditions set forth in subsection (a) already exists, the manufacturer shall be given an additional opportunity after receipt of the notification, not to exceed ten (10) days, to correct or repair the nonconformity.

History

[Acts 1986, ch. 857, § 5.]

55-24-206. Informal dispute settlement procedure.

(a) If a manufacturer has established or participates in an informal dispute settlement procedure which complies with the provisions of Title 16, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 703, as those provisions read on November 3, 1983, and of this part, and causes the consumer to be notified of the procedure, the provisions of § 55-24-203 concerning refunds or replacement shall not apply to any consumer who has not first resorted to such procedure. The attorney general and reporter shall, upon application, issue a determination whether an informal dispute resolution mechanism qualifies under this section.

(b) (1) The informal dispute settlement panel shall determine whether the motor vehicle does or does not conform to all applicable express warranties.

(2) If the motor vehicle does not conform to all applicable express warranties, the informal dispute settlement panel shall then determine whether the nonconformity substantially impairs the motor vehicle.

(3) If the nonconformity does substantially impair the motor vehicle, the informal dispute settlement panel shall then determine, in accordance with this part, whether a reasonable number of attempts have been made to correct the nonconformity.

(4) If a reasonable number of attempts have been made to correct the nonconformity, the informal dispute settlement panel shall determine whether the manufacturer has been given an opportunity to repair the motor vehicle as provided in § 55-24-202.

(5) If the manufacturer has been given an opportunity to repair the motor vehicle as provided in § 55-24-202, the panel shall find that the consumer is entitled to refund or replacement as provided in § 55-24-203(a).

(6) The informal dispute settlement panel shall determine the amount of collateral charges, where appropriate.

History

[Acts 1986, ch. 857, § 6.]

55-24-207. Statute of limitations.

(a) Any action brought under this part shall be commenced within six (6) months following:

(1) Expiration of the express warranty term; or

(2) One (1) year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the later date.

(b) The statute of limitations shall be tolled for the period beginning on the date when the consumer submits a dispute to an informal dispute settlement procedure as provided in § 55-24-206 and ending on the date of its decision or the date before which the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer is required by the decision to fulfill its terms, whichever comes later.

History

[Acts 1986, ch. 857, § 7.]
According to TN lemon law; it is consider a lemon if the dealer can not repair the same problem in 4 tries. But I do not understand the statue of limitation below

(1) Expiration of the express warranty term; or

(2) One (1) year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the later date.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 04-10-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
When I checked my car into the hospital yesterday, I had them write on the service order that this is the fourth time for the trunk leak to be repaired! I told them that they should understand why I had that added on the work order and they acknowledged that they understood. Of course they will be fixing the loud rattling noise coming from the exhaust system while it's there. Their first guess was a bad catalytic converter. I am getting tired of drive a C230 too!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 AM

2003 SL500
When I checked my car into the hospital yesterday, I had them write on the service order that this is the fourth time for the trunk leak to be repaired! I told them that they should understand why I had that added on the work order and they acknowledged that they understood. Of course they will be fixing the loud rattling noise coming from the exhaust system while it's there. Their first guess was a bad catalytic converter. I am getting tired of drive a C230 too!!!
Hey! You've got my car! That was the exact same pair of things I had fixed last trip - leak in the trunk and loud exhaust rattle. Yes, they said it was the catalytic converter, and it took two tries to get the right part.

I did have an E320 as loaner, though, so a bit better off there.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by ToonArmy
Hey! You've got my car! That was the exact same pair of things I had fixed last trip - leak in the trunk and loud exhaust rattle. Yes, they said it was the catalytic converter, and it took two tries to get the right part.

I did have an E320 as loaner, though, so a bit better off there.
As often as I have been in there, I wish they had E class cars, but....was this the first time for the leaking trunk?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:21 PM

2003 SL500
As often as I have been in there, I wish they had E class cars, but....was this the first time for the leaking trunk?
Yes, first time for the trunk leak, right around 16K miles. It took them a while (they had the car nearly two weeks), but they did fix it, although hearing about the recurring problems, I'm now a bit paranoid about driving in the rain in case the leak reappears.

Wonder if anyone knows of M-B Technical Bulletins on this problem?

I'm also wondering about the catalytic coverter failure - that's not something that should fail so early in the car's life, wondering if there is a systematic design defect there?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I just go sadder today when I pick up my car. Looks like they will have to reorder the 3-rubber seals again. Service manager apologizes and informed me that a rookie put on the rubber seals. Looks like too much sealant or something.
Attached Thumbnails My trunk is leaking again on the SL-img_1396.jpg  
Old 04-14-2005, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Part of the Problem

Part of the problem with all the complaints is the service technicians, sometimes the people these dealers hire are just plain *****. I would insist on an experienced mechanic instead of anyone who is available when it comes to cars like this.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Water in the trunk yet again!!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
Memphis had about a 6-hour monsoon. The sun came up and I decided go home from work, so I put my computer in the trunk. I noticed both sides of the truck partition flap is soaking wet.

I think there is a design flaw on the rubber seals around the trunk. All the rubber seals/gaskets around the trunk got replaced in January, because of the same problem.

The sad part of the story is that Mercedes customer care is not aware of the problem.

Hemm, I know of over 36 R230 SL owners have the same leaking water problem in the trunk as me. Are you fellow SL owners reporting your problems to Mercedes customer care? It always seem like I am the only one with problems when I talk to them
Well they've done it again, details in the wet boot thread. The fouth time and when I went to put the top down at the dealer right after they washed it for me, there was water running into both sied of the trunk about 1/2 inch from the arrow in Tiggerfink's picture! After a lengthy arguement with a couple of mechanics and the service people, they decided to order all of the gaskets again and sent me home with it. I fanally got tired of the hassle and explored the leak myself. It turns out that the center gasket under the windo is not sealed properly. Try pouring water on the back window and let it seep into the gasket and maybe the waterfalls will flow like mine! If you want to go for the dramatic, just pull the top of the gasket away from the window and pur a littele water direcly into it snd watch the waterfalls begin! Good luck!!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
The center seal has not arrived. I am pissed. It has been two weeks. The service manger was hot when I showed then the sloppy job and they order the 3 seals last Wednesday.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:23 PM

2005 SL65
catalytic converter...

my 2002 CLK55's cat played snap, crackle and pop for me at about 20k miles. i could hear the thing frying whenever i pulled up beside the community guardhouse, in the garage, and whenever i turned off the engine after it had run 15 minutes or more.

service tech got that i'm-not-surprised half-grin on his face before it was properly diagnosed.

now, 10k miles later, the car's playing the same song for me. fortunately, i'll win name-that-tune after just a single note. maybe they'll give me another MB key fob for a prize.

david