SL/R230: Owner's Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Exclamation Owner's Manual

Last night I read the SL600 owner's manual. Tonight I am reading the Vanquish S. I wanted to compare the two. What a difference.

The SL600 is like every other owner's manual I have ever read, very informative and tells you exactly how to use the features of the car.

The Vanquish S owner's guide on the other hand is UNLIKE anything I have ever read.

I spends half of the time talking about the features of the car and the other half talking about how to drive the car and properly break it in.

I didn't know I'd actually have to read every single word in this manual before I would be qualified to drive the car. When you are reading this manual you don't get the feeling you are going to experience a car. It is kind of like driving something that is much more advanced and quite frankly requires time and attention.

Wonder where those "Cliff Notes" are? Anyway, very interesting and quite frankly, very shocking. Did not expect to see this but it makes me even more excited to get my hands on this machine. Yes it is a machine, it is not a car.

When I had to wait 1000 miles to give some gas to my SL600 it seemed forever. Well, on this car it is 2500 miles and their are sections on breaking in all the different parts of the car like the motor, transmission, tires and brakes just to mention a few.

I thought that when you talked about bedding something it had to do with women. I never knew you bedded in brake pads.

Car will be here in 5-6 months. UGH!

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-15-2005 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL 500
Truthfully, and not that it matters, but between destroying the transmission in 5000 miles and the babying of everything else, I wouldn't. I want a car thats fun to drive but doesn't require 100% concentration every second. I can see that on a race track, but not a freeway.

Hope you enjoy it.

S
Old 04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SilverSL500
Truthfully, and not that it matters, but between destroying the transmission in 5000 miles and the babying of everything else, I wouldn't. I want a car thats fun to drive but doesn't require 100% concentration every second. I can see that on a race track, but not a freeway.

Hope you enjoy it.

S
Silver,

A few thoughts. First, it is the clutch that may have a problem, not the transmission. As for concentrating, yes you do but it not like intense but it certainly isn't the laid back driving you can get from the SL600. I think that situation is very unique and special and it what makes the SL600 so desireble.

I felt that way you did, entirely...until I drove the car. Once you drive it and you realize it is not like anything you have ever driven, you become hooked.

I am getting the new 5 series BMW for the times when I want the SL600 experience.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:37 PM

2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Silver,

I felt that way you did, entirely...until I drove the car. Once you drive it and you realize it is not like anything you have ever driven, you become hooked.
Even if I could afford the AM, or something like it, I doubt if I would buy one. I get very frustated just trying to get some "good driving" out of my 500. Too many speed laws and radars
I'd love to have your 600, but that would just make it worse. Besides the fact I can't afford it.

I truly hope you end up enjoying the AM, but I think you'll be insane from waiting by the time it comes in

S
Old 04-15-2005, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SilverSL500
Even if I could afford the AM, or something like it, I doubt if I would buy one. I get very frustated just trying to get some "good driving" out of my 500. Too many speed laws and radars
I'd love to have your 600, but that would just make it worse. Besides the fact I can't afford it.

I truly hope you end up enjoying the AM, but I think you'll be insane from waiting by the time it comes in

S
I waited for the SL600 and was a mad man by the time it came it. I can't imagine I am doing this to myself again.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:47 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
I love the Vanquish but my biggest problem is being able to enjoy a car that costs that much. I have had a few luxury cars and for some reason I cannot fully enjoy a car over around 160k or so.I don't know why I have this amount in my head but I do. I don't know if it is just me but when I find myself not driving somewhere because I am worried about parking/vandalism etc. it takes a lot of the fun out of it. I could live with painting a quarter in my Gwagen but in a Ferrari or a 260k Vanquish I would probably have a heart attack. Not only would you look at it as damaged goods even if fixed well but you would have an issue when trying to sell that might cost you thousands. I wish I was one of those guys that could just drive anything and not care and I am getting better but at 260k I don't think I could fully enjoy any car. After reading all of your sagas Lovin I hope you enjoy this one.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Juice it
I love the Vanquish but my biggest problem is being able to enjoy a car that costs that much. I have had a few luxury cars and for some reason I cannot fully enjoy a car over around 160k or so.I don't know why I have this amount in my head but I do. I don't know if it is just me but when I find myself not driving somewhere because I am worried about parking/vandalism etc. it takes a lot of the fun out of it. I could live with painting a quarter in my Gwagen but in a Ferrari or a 260k Vanquish I would probably have a heart attack. Not only would you look at it as damaged goods even if fixed well but you would have an issue when trying to sell that might cost you thousands. I wish I was one of those guys that could just drive anything and not care and I am getting better but at 260k I don't think I could fully enjoy any car. After reading all of your sagas Lovin I hope you enjoy this one.
Funny, I feel the exact same way about my SL600 as you are describing you would feel with a Vanquish.

I would never take my SL600 to a place where I thought it would be crowded or someone could ding my car. I also never let anyone valet it and sometimes that gets very expensive.

The Vanquish will just be more of the same thing but you are right, probably a little worse.

That is why I am getting a very nice daily driver although I plan on driving the Vanquish often.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:37 AM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Break In Instructions

Lovin,

I'm curious. What kinds of things do they suggest to break in the various parts of the car?

Jeff
Old 04-16-2005, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Procedures

Originally Posted by jeffreyy
Lovin,

I'm curious. What kinds of things do they suggest to break in the various parts of the car?

Jeff
There are so many but let me give you one for an example. On the bedding in of the brakes they suggest the following:

1. Three light brake applications from 50-30 mph using normal acceleraton to 50 mph.

2. Three medium brake applications from 70-40 mph using normal acceleration to 70 mph.

3. Two hard brake application from 30 mph using normal acceleration.

4. Then drive 5 miles with minimal or no brake useage.

5. Stop and allow brakes to cool.

6. Drive another 5 miles with normal brake usage.

Why and what this does I have no idea but this is how they tell you to brake in the brakes this way anytime there are new brake pads or discs.

They say failure to perform such bedding procedures will cause the brakes to lose performance and may cause possible judder or squeal.

This is just one of many items in the manual for breaking in new or replacement parts.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:30 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 159 Posts
Exclamation

There are so many but let me give you one for an example. On the bedding in of the brakes they suggest the following:

1. Three light brake applications from 50-30 mph using normal acceleraton to 50 mph.

2. Three medium brake applications from 70-40 mph using normal acceleration to 70 mph.

3. Two hard brake application from 30 mph using normal acceleration.

4. Then drive 5 miles with minimal or no brake useage.

5. Stop and allow brakes to cool.

6. Drive another 5 miles with normal brake usage.

Why and what this does I have no idea but this is how they tell you to brake in the brakes this way anytime there are new brake pads or discs.

They say failure to perform such bedding procedures will cause the brakes to lose performance and may cause possible judder or squeal.

This is just one of many items in the manual for breaking in new or replacement parts.
This is all a perfect example of why no one should ever buy a new, car let alone an exotic, with more than delivery miles; test drives can be brutal! I remember when I bought a new BMW and the salesman took a brand new M3 (not a dealer tester) off the lot and reved it straight to redline on an ice cold engine trying to show me how fast the car is; I almost slugged the guy for what he did to that poor new engine, the car had like 18 miles on the clock. I've also had friends tell me how they drove the daylights out of new Porsches, Ferraris, Vettes etc on their test drives. It's not just consumer test drives but also the sales guy taking the car for a "pre-delivery check drive" on his own for 3 or 4 miles of full throttle and heavy braking between lights and or stop signs.

Lovin, lets face it you're a perfectionist just like me and you'd better make damn sure NO ONE goes near your car once it comes off the trailer other than the tech working on your car. I don't know how many miles come on a new Aston right off the truck but I'd find out right quick and tell the sales mgr you expect the same.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
This is all a perfect example of why no one should ever buy a new, car let alone an exotic, with more than delivery miles; test drives can be brutal! I remember when I bought a new BMW and the salesman took a brand new M3 (not a dealer tester) off the lot and reved it straight to redline on an ice cold engine trying to show me how fast the car is; I almost slugged the guy for what he did to that poor new engine, the car had like 18 miles on the clock. I've also had friends tell me how they drove the daylights out of new Porsches, Ferraris, Vettes etc on their test drives. It's not just consumer test drives but also the sales guy taking the car for a "pre-delivery check drive" on his own for 3 or 4 miles of full throttle and heavy braking between lights and or stop signs.

Lovin, lets face it you're a perfectionist just like me and you'd better make damn sure NO ONE goes near your car once it comes off the trailer other than the tech working on your car. I don't know how many miles come on a new Aston right off the truck but I'd find out right quick and tell the sales mgr you expect the same.
It gets worse from here.

As I look at the timing of when my car might possibly arrive I see that it might come in when I am in Fiji for three weeks. Won't that be a bummer.

At any rate, I have talked to the dealer about this and fortunately not much talking was necessary. The dealer is not like MB dealers. They know and respect what kind of machine the Vanquish S is and they treat it accordingly.

If my car comes in when I am away, they will prep it and put it in a corner with a cover on it. As they promised, no one will lay even a finger print on it.

They understand perfectly.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 159 Posts
It gets worse from here.

As I look at the timing of when my car might possibly arrive I see that it might come in when I am in Fiji for three weeks. Won't that be a bummer.

At any rate, I have talked to the dealer about this and fortunately not much talking was necessary. The dealer is not like MB dealers. They know and respect what kind of machine the Vanquish S is and they treat it accordingly.

If my car comes in when I am away, they will prep it and put it in a corner with a cover on it. As they promised, no one will lay even a finger print on it.

They understand perfectly.
Finally a dealer/company that understands...
Old 04-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
Welcome to the new and improved forum of Aston Martin...

Hey let's all discuss the manual, the dealership etc.... Isn't there any Aston forums on the internet?

Excuse me but am I the only one just a bit tired of hearing all these negative things about Mercedes all the time? And at the same time hearing about the great and completely flawless Aston Martins?

This is supposed to be a Mercedes Benz SL R230 forum and not a forum about how great Aston Martin is and how much better they are in every freaking way.

One or two threads about that is enough
Old 04-17-2005, 04:56 PM

2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by trin

Hey let's all discuss the manual, the dealership etc.... Isn't there any Aston forums on the internet?

Excuse me but am I the only one just a bit tired of hearing all these negative things about Mercedes all the time? And at the same time hearing about the great and completely flawless Aston Martins?

This is supposed to be a Mercedes Benz SL R230 forum and not a forum about how great Aston Martin is and how much better they are in every freaking way.

AMEN!..... Lovin, I hope it works out for you, but you are really putting a negative attitude into this forum. Some of us like our cars alot, and a far greater percentage of people who have SL cars love them as well, and they are not even on this forum.

Oh, and by the way, if you think Mercedes is arrogant, wait till you get to deal BMW.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation Don't put this on me...

Well, I can tell you I don't find the BMW dealers arrogant, actually I find that they behave like Chevy dealers. Never saw a bunch of "salemen" like that in my life. But then again, look in the phone book and see the amount of BMW dealers. Around here, they are a dime a dozen.

Finally, if you don't like reading about the Aston's then don't. If you handn't noticed, I am not the only one with MB problems or some negative thoughts about them so I don't appreciate your putting this all on me...SO STOP, please!

I have really tried to keep my negative comments down as I do understand your feelings and I don't want to put a negative feeling around here, especially since I am selling mine. But, just realize and read the english around you, many others have negative feelings toward Mercedes.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-17-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Lovin- I don't think anyone who has followed your various posts doesn't empathize with your numerous SL service issues. Most of us have had many, if not more vehicle problems, but that's one of the reasons we discuss, question, share, and rant on this site. I think the comments above are questioning that fine line between being ecstatic about your newest acquisition and leaving your "old buddies" here on the MBWorld forum. I wish you well with the Vanquish, but it might be time to minimize some of the Aston threads. Enjoy the new ride !
Old 04-17-2005, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Lovin- I don't think anyone who has followed your various posts doesn't empathize with your numerous SL service issues. Most of us have had many, if not more vehicle problems, but that's one of the reasons we discuss, question, share, and rant on this site. I think the comments above are questioning that fine line between being ecstatic about your newest acquisition and leaving your "old buddies" here on the MBWorld forum. I wish you well with the Vanquish, but it might be time to minimize some of the Aston threads. Enjoy the new ride !
Thanks, I agree.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
A more diplomatic way to put it but that is exactly what I meant with my post earlier
Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 AM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Yeah, I know it was OT, but put me down as one who enjoyed reading about the Aston Martin. It was nice to get an insight into the purchase process as well.

Jim
Old 04-18-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by trin

Cleary, this is not an Aston forum; however, I enjoy reading Lovin's passionate journey through his love/hate relationship with MB and his ultimate transition to Aston. This is an MB story, just not one that ends happily for MB--I can think of no better place to read a story like this. I wonder how many of us who don't have Lovin's financial capacity would jump from the MB ship over to some other brand that's upmarket (at least in price) if we were willing and able to do it. I would, for the very same reason Lovin' did. As it stands my next car will not be an MB.

I understand Lovin's disappointment in MB. I love my SL600 and believe that there is no comparable car on the market for $150k; however, I've become disenchanted with the dealer's complacent attitude and the apparent lack of quality control that many of us exeperience. We deserve better. The only way for me to fight back is to find an alternative.

So, Lovin', please continue to share your experience as you move forward. This can only help us define the expectations that we all should have.