SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: I love my SL600- am I an idiot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I love my SL600- am I an idiot?

I have grown tired of reading all the gripes people have with their SL's on this board. I recommend an alternate board get set up called, "MBbashingworld.org" where unhappy SL owners can talk about Aston Martins and other expensive cars that they don't own and are guaranteed to hate even more if they ever get the courage to own one.

I have found that one's expectations rise in conjunction with the amount of money you pay for something. Was there any car any more satisfying than your first cheap new car or sex with your first girl/boyfriend? Now, in your later years, wealthier in both cash and experience, you find blemishes on $3,000 hookers that turn you off and nicks in your $10,000 designo interiors that enrage you. All you really want is someone to understand your needs and listen to your gripes. I thought that was what we all had mothers for?

I love my SL600 and I suppose that makes me an idiot or worse, a shill for Mercedes. Come to think of it, I have loved almost all of the cars I have owned. What a jerk I am, missing a golden opportunity to be rich, bored and negative about the material things I have spent my life chasing.

I will keep my fingers in my pocket and cease writing happy drivel about the swell of excitement that I feel everytime I surf the waves of plentiful torque brimming from my incredible SL600.

Peace.

Last edited by shoes; 04-20-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
I feel the same way about all the complaints..
Regardless if your car is an Aston Martin or a Kia... it will have issues..

I love my Sl500, its has been a blast to own. I my only complaint.. I dont get to drive to enough!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Very Well Put!

Originally Posted by shoes
I have grown tired of reading all the gripes people have with their SL's on this board. I recommend an alternate board get set up called, "MBbashingworld.org" where unhappy SL owners can talk about Aston Martins and other expensive cars that they don't own and are guaranteed to hate even more if they ever get the courage to own one.

I have found that one's expectations rise in conjunction with the amount of money you pay for something. Was there any car any more satisfying than your first cheap new car or sex with your first girl/boyfriend? Now, in your later years, wealthier in both cash and experience, you find blemishes on $3,000 hookers that turn you off and nicks in your $10,000 designo interiors that enrage you. All you really want is someone to understand your needs and listen to your gripes. I thought that was what we all had mothers for?

I love my SL600 and I suppose that makes me an idiot or worse, a shill for Mercedes. Come to think of it, I have loved almost all of the cars I have owned. What a jerk I am, missing a golden opportunity to be rich, bored and negative about the material things I have spent my life chasing.

I will keep my fingers in my pocket and cease writing happy drivel about the swell of excitement that I feel everytime I surf the waves of plentiful torque brimming from my incredible SL600.

Peace.
Very well put. The SL600 is a SEXY BEAST of a car. A total blast to drive!

Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 PM

2001 SL 500
I have grown tired of reading all the gripes...
That is easily fixed by not reading them anymore, therefore not complaining to those of us who really don't care.

What a jerk I am
No, but IMO you're getting close. Its a given that no one who uses newsgroups or forums is ever happy with anything thats said there. Why everyone continures to use these things is beyond me, unless they just want to have something to annoy themselves or others.

If he wants to say he's ticked at his SL and wants an AM, who the hell cares They're just cars, guys.

Get over it. Sheesh.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:44 PM

04 SL600 & 04 Range Rover
I am very happy with my SL600. I plan to keep the vehicle long-term. I did add the RennTech transmission and engine ECU upgrades. The performance is incredible and the car is very reliable.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Lightbulb Another view point...

While I may have had some bad experiences with this SL600 which has soured me on the Mercedes brand, I have probably had more 230 SL's than anyone on this board and I have loved everyone of them.

Unfortunatley I am done with Mercedes Benz but I can certainly see why one would love the SL600.

Money and what you get for that money is not the issue. It is reliability and less expensive cars can be reliable, maybe even more.

I have a 2004 Celica GT-S, a 2004 Mustang, a 2004 Navigator and a 2003 Acura. All of these cars cost one third or less than my SL600 yet everyone one of these cars has never had any major problems nor have there been any service or parts issues.

But then again, none of these brands finished 32 out of 34 in reliability.

Face is guys, you may love your car, but from a statistical point of view, you and I all got taken. While it may be a great car and have all the facets we want in a car, it isn't worth what you paid for it when compared to other less expensive cars.

But then again, maybe you don't care about reliability and only want a pretty girl with no brains.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:07 PM

SL500 E320 ML350

Peace.
Well...if you're an idiot...can I be one too!!

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2005, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Cool

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
While I may have had some bad experiences with this SL600 which has soured me on the Mercedes brand, I have probably had more 230 SL's than anyone on this board and I have loved everyone of them.

Unfortunatley I am done with Mercedes Benz but I can certainly see why one would love the SL600.

Money and what you get for that money is not the issue. It is reliability and less expensive cars can be reliable, maybe even more.

I have a 2004 Celica GT-S, a 2004 Mustang, a 2004 Navigator and a 2003 Acura. All of these cars cost one third or less than my SL600 yet everyone one of these cars has never had any major problems nor have there been any service or parts issues.

But then again, none of these brands finished 32 out of 34 in reliability.

Face is guys, you may love your car, but from a statistical point of view, you and I all got taken. While it may be a great car and have all the facets we want in a car, it isn't worth what you paid for it when compared to other less expensive cars.

But then again, maybe you don't care about reliability and only want a pretty girl with no brains.
It appears that you have or had more of everthing that anybody could ever have. Why don't you stop posting here and start posting on www.mybigego.com or www.myheadcan'tfitthroughthedoor.com. Give it up and stop your constant negativism.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
What good would a forum be if every post was about how great my car is or how good it looks with these wheels? It is nice to get both sides of the coin. It is easy to skip threads you have no interest in.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkirchner
It appears that you have or had more of everthing that anybody could ever have. Why don't you stop posting here and start posting on www.mybigego.com or www.myheadcan'tfitthroughthedoor.com. Give it up and stop your constant negativism.
I won't even answer a post when a grown man is acting worse than my teenager.

Actually, at 13 she has more manners than you appear to have.

In case you haven't heard lately, there is something called a constitution. I remember it. I think I was about 10 then.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:28 PM

2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS

Peace.

I agree 100%!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:29 PM

2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by lkirchner

Old 04-20-2005, 06:37 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600

In case you haven't heard lately, there is something called a constitution. I remember it. I think I was about 10 then.
I don't think anyone should give Lovin a hard time; he is a good guy who means well and has the fortune of being able to experience some of the finest things in life. His posts are always well thought out and he has been helpful to me many times when i solicited advice on SL's. The man, as all of you, are entitled to express your opinions....
Old 04-20-2005, 07:04 PM

2005 SL65
reality and negativism...

since when is sharing one's opinions a product of negativism? just because those opinions presently are negative? no.

reality is every issue that arises in our cars. listing those issues and discussing our experiences attempting to resolve them, is a benefit to us all.

if they were just cars, or rather just utilitarian machines, it's likely that we'd limit our expressions to problems and fixes. we probably wouldn't be posting and reading posts as avidly as we do. there's something more to these machines than nuts and bolts and rubber and paint that brought us here and keeps us.

so, why berate someone for sharing impressions, be they good, bad or indifferent?

i've had several MBs, BMW, and other machines. i didn't complain much about the toyota pick-up's deficiencies because i didn't expect it to be an MB. likewise, BMW, acura and the others.

why MB can't live up to the image it sold us is a mystery. but why people express their displeasure is anything but a mystery.

this is a big board. isn't there room enough for all perspectives??

Last edited by david_101; 04-20-2005 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2005, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Talking

:v However my friend you just did.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by Juice it
What good would a forum be if every post was about how great my car is or how good it looks with these wheels? It is nice to get both sides of the coin. It is easy to skip threads you have no interest in.
I couldn't have said it better. This is a fourm about the MB expereince. Not only the good side (which is evident in the styling and the technology) but also the bad side (quality and dealer service problems). Perosnally, I want to read it all. I love my SL600 and have had few problems with it and may even purchase the car (I can't afford an Aston and I don't know if it'll be any better--besides the I find the SL more appealing). In any event, we all deserve higher reliability from our cars and if don't demand it and continue to buy them, then the factory has no incentive to change.

We bought both an SL and CL within the past six months and enjoy them both, but for my $260,000, I had higher expectations.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 04-20-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I Agree!

Originally Posted by vkapoormd
I don't think anyone should give Lovin a hard time; he is a good guy who means well and has the fortune of being able to experience some of the finest things in life. His posts are always well thought out and he has been helpful to me many times when i solicited advice on SL's. The man, as all of you, are entitled to express your opinions....
I agree with you, LOVIN has been a lot of help to a lot of people on this forum, we all have our right to express our opinions. I have noticed a lot more people chime in on these discussions than starting any. If people want more positives and they feel positive, post some positives then there will be more to read than what some interpret as negatives.

Hope all enjoy their SL's
Old 04-20-2005, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up Thanks...

Thanks to all of you that are supporting my right to express my opinions which at times are negative (lately) but have also been very positive. Look at my name.

Again thanks as I feel we all benefit from one anothers experiences both positive and negative.

I appreciate the recognition by many of you whom I have had conversations with, shared ideas and tried to help.

Regards to all, well...maybe not all.

But, I do hope ALL enjoy their SL experiences.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:05 PM

2007 CL600
This is my 200th post so I've decided to express why I love my SL600.

I love that everybody drools when they see my car.

I love that a woman told me the just the other day that seeing me in my SL makes her sweat.

I love the feel of 500 hp and the whoosh of the twin-turbos.

I love that it makes my wife happy although she drives it only one day a week.

I love that coworkers stop me and ask if I'm the mystery guy who drives the V12.

There are many more positives about this car than negatives or we wouldn't be driving them. Three years ago, I would have never imagined owning one. Now, on sunny days like today, I don't know if I could live without an SL600 in my garage.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's Great!

Originally Posted by WIldcat465

I love that a woman told me the just the other day that seeing me in my SL makes her sweat.

I love that coworkers stop me and ask if I'm the mystery guy who drives the V12.

There are many more positives about this car than negatives or we wouldn't be driving them. Three years ago, I would have never imagined owning one. Now, on sunny days like today, I don't know if I could live without an SL600 in my garage.
All sound good to me, enjoy the BEAST!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very well said and a great 200th post!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:38 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600

Wildcat,
i couldn't agree with you more; the SL 600 has been my dream car for a year now, and i didn't imagine getting one until i scored a good deal or until i was much older. Furthermore, it has spoiled me and i don't know what car would top it for me. I also love the attention it gets when cruising around and the ability to beat out most cars. The worst part for me is having my wife drive it (i cringe when she drives as she is a little tentative, but oh well...). Actually i take that back, the worst part is that i have had the car 2 months, but i haven't been able to drive it because i will be in San Fran till June. In the interim, my parents have been housing it in their garage in Del Mar till i move back to So Cal in June. Anyway, when i am down in SD, i will look you up so we can meet up.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:09 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by vkapoormd
Wildcat,
i couldn't agree with you more; the SL 600 has been my dream car for a year now, and i didn't imagine getting one until i scored a good deal or until i was much older. Furthermore, it has spoiled me and i don't know what car would top it for me. I also love the attention it gets when cruising around and the ability to beat out most cars. The worst part for me is having my wife drive it (i cringe when she drives as she is a little tentative, but oh well...). Actually i take that back, the worst part is that i have had the car 2 months, but i haven't been able to drive it because i will be in San Fran till June. In the interim, my parents have been housing it in their garage in Del Mar till i move back to So Cal in June. Anyway, when i am down in SD, i will look you up so we can meet up.
I sounds like I'm closer to your car than you are. I'm just east of Del Mar in Santaluz (up carmel valley road). There is probably no better place to own an SL.

For me, one of the best parts of owning the SL is the expression on my wife's face every time she drives it. I feel fortuante to be able to have the material means to purchase a car that most people will never get the chance to sit in.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 04-21-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Like Shoes, I appreciate my material good fortune. I try never to lose sight of how lucky I am to be able to buy things like SL600s and for that matter, to have good health, a good relationship, etc. My SL600 is definitely a great car, which I really enjoy. However I also empathize with LovinSL600, since I’ve had the experience of an unfixable SL55 and many other poor Mercedes service experiences. As I see it the negative side isn’t a matter of underappreciating material things, it’s a matter of being disrespected by people: specifically, Mercedes service people and their management. I’ll offer one example that I’ve never mentioned here before. After a service where they did about $100 of non-warranty work, the service rep calls me at home to ask if I paid the bill, because they couldn’t find the record of it. They wanted me to fax them a copy of the bill stamped paid (which I did have, by the way) so they would have it for their records. Of course it was impossible not to have paid, since the cashier hands you your key only after you’ve settled your account. They probably thought I was unable to afford the $100, having paupered myself by writing checks for hundreds of thousands worth of cars at their dealership. I should stop writing now, since I feel my blood pressure rising dangerously.

Anyway, I think it’s no surprise if dissatisfaction with the people associated with a car ends up being turned into dissatisfaction over the car itself. My wife’s old Range Rover was probably the least reliable hunk of junk on earth, but she never really hated the thing because the people at the dealership treated her with deference and respect, knowing that with what they had to sell it was the only way they could retain customers.

Last edited by sillydriver; 04-21-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Add some RennTech to your life and REALLY feel some WHOOSH!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: I love my SL600- am I an idiot?