Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
America sucks.

I'm glad to be a Texan.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
Someone will always have something better with more features, whats important is that the features are useful and WORK.
Maserati??!! I think Id pass on that, most people don't know what the heck they are. Maserati comes back from the dead every 10 years and releases a car that is cool for about 6 months then they return to a hole somewhere in Europe.
Sl dated??! Its only been out three years.. plan on it being pretty much the same till 2009-10. The cost to retool a car is staggering, especially a car like the SL.
The SLR nose isnt coming to a theater near you anytime soon. With SLK looking like a mini SLR, it would hurt SL sales to make them look a like.
I think the only major upcoming change will be the new 4-valve V8. Which according to rumors, will have 380 hp. On a side note, wouldn't this make it better than the AMG V8s that are currently in the SLK55, C55, and the CLK55? I guess time will tell....
Old 05-02-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230
In response

I am not going to defend any car manufacturer here...but in response - Maserati - they are more exclusive and I think you will find they are undergoing a regeneration in Europe, rather like Aston Martin is due to their redesigning. I was merely stating if I am going to pay the amounts some people pay in here for a car I would not want a car which everyone else has. I have to say my own views is I think the days of the SL are numbered, they used to be exclusive and sexy - but the reality is they are simply becoming too common and as I read younger and younger people are driving them. When I reach the wonderful age of 30 or even 40(!) I don't want to drive a car that I know the neighbour's kid drives (and I live in a middle class area - so guys who live in a rich area must see SLs like flies). Whilst I find it admirable that you are all leaping to the defence of the SL the reality is, in my opinion, the only thing that really keeps it going is the roof - if that wasn't there there are many other cars that are better. But as experience is telling cars are being copied faster than ever before. All I am saying is with other car manufactures (not just maserati but also jaguar, bmw, porsche, aston martin, bentley) advancing their car ranges it is only a matter of time before even the mighty SL is outclassed. It's days are numbered quicker than you might think, hence it will need to keep up and therefore whereas before the facelifts would have taken 10-12 years - now may even be halved. I listen to you who say it costs a lot to bring a new design out but necessity is the mother of invention. And also for you guys out there who think it takes a lot to get an SL - there are longer waiting lists for an SLK than a SL (I was promised to get one the next day as opposed to 18 months for the SLK) that does not smack of an exclusive car.

Whatever happens with the new facelift one thing is for certain I envisage a dramatic increase in engine range in the next two years.

Like I said the above is just my own opinion. I sincerely hope I am wrong as I do believe the SL is a beautiful car
Old 05-02-2005, 03:04 PM

none
Originally Posted by NeilC123
I am not going to defend any car manufacturer here...but in response - Maserati - they are more exclusive and I think you will find they are undergoing a regeneration in Europe, rather like Aston Martin is due to their redesigning. I was merely stating if I am going to pay the amounts some people pay in here for a car I would not want a car which everyone else has. I have to say my own views is I think the days of the SL are numbered, they used to be exclusive and sexy - but the reality is they are simply becoming too common and as I read younger and younger people are driving them. When I reach the wonderful age of 30 or even 40(!) I don't want to drive a car that I know the neighbour's kid drives (and I live in a middle class area - so guys who live in a rich area must see SLs like flies). Whilst I find it admirable that you are all leaping to the defence of the SL the reality is, in my opinion, the only thing that really keeps it going is the roof - if that wasn't there there are many other cars that are better. But as experience is telling cars are being copied faster than ever before. All I am saying is with other car manufactures (not just maserati but also jaguar, bmw, porsche, aston martin, bentley) advancing their car ranges it is only a matter of time before even the mighty SL is outclassed. It's days are numbered quicker than you might think, hence it will need to keep up and therefore whereas before the facelifts would have taken 10-12 years - now may even be halved. I listen to you who say it costs a lot to bring a new design out but necessity is the mother of invention. And also for you guys out there who think it takes a lot to get an SL - there are longer waiting lists for an SLK than a SL (I was promised to get one the next day as opposed to 18 months for the SLK) that does not smack of an exclusive car.

Whatever happens with the new facelift one thing is for certain I envisage a dramatic increase in engine range in the next two years.

Like I said the above is just my own opinion. I sincerely hope I am wrong as I do believe the SL is a beautiful car

SL's days numbered?! Yeah ok...
The reason you see younger drivers in SL's is because younger people have MORE money than they did 10 years ago. Every person driving Bentleys, Aston Martins, and just about every exotic that I have seen in my city (tampa) is between 30-40 years old. I'm 31 years old and have an SL , and have owned several other Mercedes, Corvettes, Infiniti, etc... The reason I can afford expensive cars is I work my as s off. Plus having a huge home is not a priority for me, as I am hardly there to enjoy it.
As a car ages it becomes more affordable to buy, hence the reason the SL isnt as "exclusive" as when it was released and people were paying $20k over sticker. 2003's are selling for $70k, easily abtainable for the upper middle class.
You drive an SLK right? I see those in the parking lot of the high school down the road from me, not to mention the 20 I see everyday on my way to work.
I could see a dealer being out of SLKs, they are after all very cheap and affordable for most people.

As I said before, Maserati comes around every so often with a neat car. They got a lot of press last year but have heard anything since? NOPE...
The most important market is the US, and we have never embraced Maserati. People here still recall that Chrysler/Maserati fiasco, and that may be why they cant ever gain market share here.

Mercedes is having issues right now, but I'll bet anyone in two years all their problems will be corrected. Even with their current bad press they havent lost the prestige/ class and thats something very few brands have.

Last edited by lorinserbenz; 05-02-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:06 AM

SLK 230
Mmmmm

Well I never said what i drive was exclusive. It is my first car and I only bought it because of it's folding roof and it was a decent price. Don't get me wrong my ideal car at the moment would be an SL - I am just very worried about it's future and i wonder if I will be truely thinking that 3-4 years down the line. Mercedes are taking a pouding and they are living on their reputation a lot - they can't keep doing that. As for Maseratis not being big in the US to be frank most small european car manufacturers don't really care much about the US market as they have enough orders in Europe and elsewhere now if they are good (e.g. Noble, Lotus, Aston Martin) on the contrary american manufacturers are trying to break the European market (good luck - i have seen some of the rubbish cars you americans drive and are trying to bring over to Europe!). After all you can say that about Aston Martin - they only rely on one car - the DB9 - and the V8 vantage is just based upon it - does that make them less sought after - on the contrary.

I accept people are getting richer but i think you find as a result of that more and more people will demand uniquess. Mercedes however are going for wide appeal (capitalist economy) and trying to sell in bulk - which may eat away at the very market the SL is truely for. After all there seems little difference in looks between the SL350 and SL65. If I was going to spend so much on a SL65 I would at least want people to recognise it as i speed past them

However this debate can go on and on....only time will tell
Old 05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Almost a Member!

SL65 AMG
Well I never said what i drive was exclusive. It is my first car and I only bought it because of it's folding roof and it was a decent price. Don't get me wrong my ideal car at the moment would be an SL - I am just very worried about it's future and i wonder if I will be truely thinking that 3-4 years down the line. Mercedes are taking a pouding and they are living on their reputation a lot - they can't keep doing that. As for Maseratis not being big in the US to be frank most small european car manufacturers don't really care much about the US market as they have enough orders in Europe and elsewhere now if they are good (e.g. Noble, Lotus, Aston Martin) on the contrary american manufacturers are trying to break the European market (good luck - i have seen some of the rubbish cars you americans drive and are trying to bring over to Europe!). After all you can say that about Aston Martin - they only rely on one car - the DB9 - and the V8 vantage is just based upon it - does that make them less sought after - on the contrary.

I accept people are getting richer but i think you find as a result of that more and more people will demand uniquess. Mercedes however are going for wide appeal (capitalist economy) and trying to sell in bulk - which may eat away at the very market the SL is truely for. After all there seems little difference in looks between the SL350 and SL65. If I was going to spend so much on a SL65 I would at least want people to recognise it as i speed past them

I bought an SL65AMG and debadged it the minute I got it home in my garage. I did not buy it because it was exclusive or to impress anyone. It would not bother me at all if there were more of them on the road. I bought it because it was fast and fun to drive (generally the reason I buy any car).

I have always debadged my cars. They look better that way. Who cares what others think about my ride(s)?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:37 PM

none

Yes... Us Americans and are rubbish... Ill put money on a new Z06 versus whatever Lotus, Maserati etc..

If Ferrari could sell 10,000 360 Modenas do you think they would not build them? Automakers build enough cars for the demand...

Europeans not caring about the US market?? Yeah right.. Funny how we seem to buy up all the Bentleys, Ferraris etc... ... AMERICANS dictate the auto trends..

Let me ask you a question, why do you own a SLK? Because you wanted a Mercedes convertible and thats what you could afford. Do you feel exclusive? SLKs are very plentiful and will be even more so as they age.
I dont understand your comments about the SL... seems to me you are just mad that you cant afford one. Last I checked all the AMG SLK's look like the regular models too.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:15 PM

SLK 230
lol I am mad?

I have to say why is it people start getting so personal on this? I have explained the reason I went for an SLK is because i wanted a car which was a hard top convertible and it was a decent price. Also I park in some dodgy places sometimes and I wouldn't want an SL to be left at some of the places where i park. As for not being able to afford one...I am a lawyer of course i can afford one I am just waiting to see how the car industry pans out in the next 5 years. If i am going to spend over £100k on a car i want to only do it once and i want it to be just right. I am not going to get personal against you. As for americans setting trends - funny - I thought Merc was a german car? And I thought germany was in europe last time I checked. Let's see...we have Ferarri, Aston Martin, Lotus, Bentley, BMW, RR mmm European...and how many American cars are exported...to the UK not many. Not that this is going to be a Europe v America debate - the fact is it is Worldwide demand which is important and america is not the world leader in cars.
However there is no point arguing when the facelift will come - when it does it will come and then I will decide if I want an SL or if I look elsewhere - simple.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I buy a car because it meets my needs. On the other hand some folks buy stuff to be exclusive. These folks would spend their money on add ons, paint jobs, and other stuff just to be different. Its there money and who gives a crap.

In my opinion they have an inferiority complex so they try to stand out in the crowd and give the sorry *** excuse to be exclusive. These same people will tell other people that you are not being exclusive enough so they feel better.

What I am saying is buy what you want and do not tell me that I am not being exclusive enough.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:11 AM

SLK 230
A £100k car that meets needs?

So you would buy a £100k+ car because it meets your needs? What needs would u have to need to spend that much money on a car surely it is implicit in that that you want to stand out from the crowd? When people spend that amount on a car it is surely logical that they are hoping to buy into exclusivity - otherwise there are plenty of other decent cars priced in the £20k range which would do the job just as well. I would hate to buy an SL for it not to be a little exclusive esp if i went for a 55 AMG/65.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Almost a Member!

SL65 AMG
So you would buy a £100k+ car because it meets your needs? What needs would u have to need to spend that much money on a car surely it is implicit in that that you want to stand out from the crowd? When people spend that amount on a car it is surely logical that they are hoping to buy into exclusivity - otherwise there are plenty of other decent cars priced in the £20k range which would do the job just as well. I would hate to buy an SL for it not to be a little exclusive esp if i went for a 55 AMG/65.
These kinds of cars are not about need, they are about want. Most of us are WAY beyond NEED at this point. This sounds like what my wife says when I start talking about a new car..."why do you need that?". I learned long ago to concede that point and say I don't need it, I WANT it.

Now we get down to why one would want this kind of car given the cost. Believe me...as hard as it may be to understand, there really ARE people out there that are not concerned about status or exclusivity, and buy cars for different reasons. I spend this kind of $$$ on cars because:

1. I have a passion for cars.
2. I enjoy speed and performance.
3. I love that "new car feeling".
4. Few other purchases give me the same satisfaction per dollar
5. I am fortunate to have the financial resources to indulge myself.

My NEEDS can be met with a $20K Honda, but I would die of boredom while thinking about the money that I had saved.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Original Question

Has anyone heard of any modifications being done to the SL in 2006?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I wanted a hard top convertible that looks good to me and drives better than a Honda around curves and stops under 110ft in the 60 to 0 tests. It passed my suitcase test. I am probably the only one in the world that brought a 90lbs suitcase to the dealership and see if the top would go down with the suitcase in the trunk. So the SL500 really did meet my suitcase needs. I told the salesman if my suitcase does not fit, I am not buying the SL500. My SLK320 is a good car, but not enough space for long trips.

The SC430 drove terrible and the Cadillac XLR had no trunk space.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 05-04-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:43 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I wanted a hard top convertible that looks good to me and drives better than a Honda around curves and stops under 110ft in the 60 to 0 tests. It passed my suitcase test. I am probably the only one in the world that brought a 90lbs suitcase to the dealership and see if the top would go down with the suitcase in the trunk. So the SL500 really did meet my suitcase needs. I told the salesman if my suitcase does not fit, I am not buying the SL500. My SLK320 is a good car, but not enough space for long trips.

The SC430 drove terrible and the Cadillac XLR had no trunk space.
You are NOT the only one in the world. I brought a full selection of all of our suitcases to ensure that we could fit enough luggage for a week. It passed the test. The spot behind the seats is what saves it. But I was impressed how much would fit in the trunk the the top up. That is precisely why we sold the M roadster. Great minds think alike Tigger!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by RadSteve
You are NOT the only one in the world. I brought a full selection of all of our suitcases to ensure that we could fit enough luggage for a week. It passed the test. The spot behind the seats is what saves it. But I was impressed how much would fit in the trunk the the top up. That is precisely why we sold the M roadster. Great minds think alike Tigger!
Wow,

I need to tell my wife and friends that I am no crazy. Need to get the SL bag because it holds thing better behind the seat. Wife puts her small bags in the SL bag.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Dont forget it marks the leather on the rear storage compartments, tigger.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stockinv
While testdriving an SL500 last week, my salesman, a Mercedes veteran, said that the 2007 model would be out in January and it would be redesigned. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about this? I can't seem to find anything, and it doesn't seem to make sense.
Guys, I'm new here though I think that the salesman is saying the truth, has anyone been to www.mbusa.com lately? If not, try going there, go to "HOME" then select "OWNERS". You need not log in here but if you're lucky enough, you'll see a red car and I think that is the facelift, redesign (whatever you may call it) SL for maybe year 2007, just a guess though but I don't think MBUSA would put something like that if its not for real right?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Looks like the grille is different but what else?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:15 AM

none
Originally Posted by SL%%
Guys, I'm new here though I think that the salesman is saying the truth, has anyone been to www.mbusa.com lately? If not, try going there, go to "HOME" then select "OWNERS". You need not log in here but if you're lucky enough, you'll see a red car and I think that is the facelift, redesign (whatever you may call it) SL for maybe year 2007, just a guess though but I don't think MBUSA would put something like that if its not for real right?

Yes your salesman is right, the REDESIGNED SL will be out soon. Everyone with a 230 body should sell their cars now!!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:08 AM

Red face Just A Pict

Ok, just for those who haven't checked the site. Here is a pic that I took from MBUSA's site. NOtice the new grille and the new design of the lower part of the bumper. I don't know with the headlights though, did it change? I really can't tell
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Model-red.jpg  
Old 05-14-2005, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Hemm,

I do not like that shiny grill. At least I do not see the ugly *** SLR nose on it. Does that bumper meets the new EU specs for pedestrian safety?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:17 AM

SL500 '05
and the badge is smaller
Old 05-14-2005, 08:20 AM

2005 SL 500
I don't think that's an SL. It doesn't have side vents (hard to see, but I don't think they are there). The shape of the door looks slightly different too.

Interesting.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 AM

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG, 2001 Acura 3.2 CL
That's a pic of the C-Class coupe, or hatch back tihng... Not the SL.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:51 AM

2005 SL500
Originally Posted by jinmin803
That's a pic of the C-Class coupe, or hatch back tihng... Not the SL.
I don't they make the C-Class coupe anymore. It might be the new CLK?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: 2007 Model