SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Ordered an 06 SL600 - Would you add anything?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by PA500SL
9.25%...holy cow!!! We pay 7.00% in P.A. and we also only pay tax on the balance. I think in C.A. they have to pay tax on the entire purchase price, so they don't benefit like you and I do. In P.A. we only have rear license plates and our registration is only $36.00 a year... SHHH... don't tell anyone!!
You are correct. In wacky California we pay tax 7.75% on the entire cost of the auto purchase not the difference between the new car cost less the trade in; neat isn't it? In addition my registration on the SL55 was over $1,000; even neater!!! However, we have Arnold for governor, good wine and great weather most of the time. It almost???? makes it worth it.

Last edited by lkirchner; 05-08-2005 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-08-2005, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Thumbs up A good point...

Originally Posted by PA500SL
I'm amazed you let these people come to your house! There's alot of shady people out there who might want to case your house/situation. You can't assume that they actually have the resources. I get nervous having workers at the house that I don't know. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
Actually, a point well taken.

Thank you.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by LovinSL600

Thank you.
I think I'm also beginning to see the light, here. I have a 99 SLK Sport that I have been thinking about selling. Has anyone had success with the MBWorld classifieds ?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by LovinSL600

Thank you.
LOVIN,

I have attempted to sell many cars on my own; successful, when I knew the purchaser and dubious when I did not know the alleged purchaser. My most frequent incidence was when I tried to sell a CLK. Two gentlemen ( I use the phrase loosely) called for an appointment and arrived about an hour late, right at dusk. The one person (notice hown the naming distinctions are dropping) appeared to be the spokesperson and asked if he and his friend could take the car for a test ride. They also requested that they would like to take the car on their own without me being there. I responded to the guy (again a little drop in my overall comfort) that I would like to have a proof of identity such as a driver's license to which he responed "Fine". Since my business has extremely high security, I employ professional background check and security resources who I called to verify the validity of the license. Surprisingly they determined that the license was stolen and that they would send one of their armed security officers to my residence immediately.

At this point, I informed the bums (getting lower and lower) that they would have to wait until one of my employees arrived to be certain that all was well. As soon as I stated that the SOB's ( How low can you go?)turned tail and ran to their car. I was able to get the plate number and much to my surprise the next day found that the car was also stolen.

I also listed on ebay only to find bottom fishers. My experience with Auto Trader and Cars.com harvested a number of "I love the car, will be there within the next 2 days or less"; no show. The best offer that I had was a scam where they would send me a certified check for more than I was asking and all that I had to do was to refund them the amount over my asking price. "If it sounds to good to be true it probaly isn't" However being the ******* that many people accuse me of, I unwittingly (Ha!!!) accepted the offer. I did receive a cashier's check, looked authentic but the issuing bank was non existent. I continued my dialogue long enough to get a true "fix" on their IP address at which point I turned it over to the FCC and the Justice Department for violation of RICO. I have been recently notified by both Agencies that they caught the scoundrel and are going to prosecute.

I only hope you the best in selling your automobile and truly hope that the dudes who showed up my home do not pay you a visit. I know that this is extremely long winded but I feel that we should all share our experiences in this arena.

Good Luck and I wish you the best.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by lkirchner
LOVIN,

I have attempted to sell many cars on my own; successful, when I knew the purchaser and dubious when I did not know the alleged purchaser. My most frequent incidence was when I tried to sell a CLK. Two gentlemen ( I use the phrase loosely) called for an appointment and arrived about an hour late, right at dusk. The one person (notice hown the naming distinctions are dropping) appeared to be the spokesperson and asked if he and his friend could take the car for a test ride. They also requested that they would like to take the car on their own without me being there. I responded to the guy (again a little drop in my overall comfort) that I would like to have a proof of identity such as a driver's license to which he responed "Fine". Since my business has extremely high security, I employ professional background check and security resources who I called to verify the validity of the license. Surprisingly they determined that the license was stolen and that they would send one of their armed security officers to my residence immediately.

At this point, I informed the bums (getting lower and lower) that they would have to wait until one of my employees arrived to be certain that all was well. As soon as I stated that the SOB's ( How low can you go?)turned tail and ran to their car. I was able to get the plate number and much to my surprise the next day found that the car was also stolen.

I also listed on ebay only to find bottom fishers. My experience with Auto Trader and Cars.com harvested a number of "I love the car, will be there within the next 2 days or less"; no show. The best offer that I had was a scam where they would send me a certified check for more than I was asking and all that I had to do was to refund them the amount over my asking price. "If it sounds to good to be true it probaly isn't" However being the ******* that many people accuse me of, I unwittingly (Ha!!!) accepted the offer. I did receive a cashier's check, looked authentic but the issuing bank was non existent. I continued my dialogue long enough to get a true "fix" on their IP address at which point I turned it over to the FCC and the Justice Department for violation of RICO. I have been recently notified by both Agencies that they caught the scoundrel and are going to prosecute.

I only hope you the best in selling your automobile and truly hope that the dudes who showed up my home do not pay you a visit. I know that this is extremely long winded but I feel that we should all share our experiences in this arena.

And what do the rest of us do without such fine resources? Trade in and take the hit I suppose.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Remember that satellite radio is unknown in Europe...
Old 05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Exclamation Thank you...

Originally Posted by lkirchner
LOVIN,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. As I go through this process your words are extremely helpful.

Again, thank you.