SL/R230: Nail in Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Nail in Tire

Well it took a while, but a nail has finally found it's way into one of my tires. It's a slow leak and hopefully I can get it fixed tomorrow.

My question is, people have told me that a lot of tire shops have the pressure turned way up on the equipment and overtighten the lug nuts, is this something I need to be on top of. Is there a specific amount of torque that should be used to tighten or is it no big deal. I hope they have a decent balancing machine and that they don't screw up the rim in the process.

What I honestly expect is to end up with a scratched up rim, which will really **** me off. Hopefully not.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bentley Arnage Red Label
I had one in my Bentley last week and they pulled it out and plugged it with the wheel on my car in 5 min. Shouldn't be a need to take the tire or wheel off.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Need to take pictures of your rim and show the manager your rims before they even touch it. If the manger asks why, just tell him I had bad experiences in the past from other companies and I just want to protect my self. When you do this, he will make sure he has the best most careful person working on your car. The comapanies here will pay for your rims to get fix if they damage them.

Maybe the dealer has the torque information.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope so.

What makes the difference, in the past it always seems like they take the tire off the rim when they have done something like this for me in the past on other cars.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Juice it
I had one in my Bentley last week and they pulled it out and plugged it with the wheel on my car in 5 min. Shouldn't be a need to take the tire or wheel off.
I would never do this. I have been told by many this is the least safe way of repairing a tire that can go at the speeds this car can.

An internal patch is the minimun you should do and would be a good acceptable repair.

My dealer won't use plugs. They claim they are not safe enough.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:13 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
I would never do this. I have been told by many this is the least safe way of repairing a tire that can go at the speeds this car can.

An internal patch is the minimun you should do and would be a good acceptable repair.

My dealer won't use plugs. They claim they are not safe enough.

I am sure you can get a new tire if you want to spend the money. I don't have any issue with the plug. The way it works I don't think you could get something to happen to the plug if you tried. If it was an issue, reputable tire places wouldn't use them and they do all the time.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:42 PM

08 CL600 Black
I've had two nails on two different tires in a span of 8 months. The first nail was at 1100 miles. The 2nd was at 6600 miles. Both were replaced. My dealer refused to patch or plug for safety reasons.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by StephenK
Well it took a while, but a nail has finally found it's way into one of my tires. It's a slow leak and hopefully I can get it fixed tomorrow.

My question is, people have told me that a lot of tire shops have the pressure turned way up on the equipment and overtighten the lug nuts, is this something I need to be on top of. Is there a specific amount of torque that should be used to tighten or is it no big deal. I hope they have a decent balancing machine and that they don't screw up the rim in the process.

What I honestly expect is to end up with a scratched up rim, which will really **** me off. Hopefully not.
I have had this happen to me as well. Find a good tire shop and they will have to take the tire off to do it correctly. They will also re-torque the wheel to the exact spec's and not use an impact wrench. However based on your latest test drive at 110mph, I would get a new tire. If you drive at normal speeds, the repaired tire will do just fine. Since you are going to get a new car, slow down and let it go with the repaire tire.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Talking

Jeff,
That is not the way to proper way to repair a tire. They have to finish and seal the inside as well. That was a quick fix that, if I were you, would have repaired properly.

Last edited by lkirchner; 05-08-2005 at 08:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

'04 S430 4 Matic and '05 997
Using a plug is not the proper way to fix this. it needs to be repaired from the inside so that the tire pressure helps to maintain the seal.

I had winter tires installed at my local Firestone dealer (on my previous MB) figuring what could go wrong they do this all day. Well they stripped the threads (which are on the rotors on MB and BMWs) and could not fix it. Had to take it to the MB dealer and they fixed it under warrantee. Eventually they stripped several other lug nuts, damaged my rotors (which had to be replaced) and would accept no responsibility for overtorquing the lug nuts. (Even though I gave them the torque specs. They said this was MBs problem because it is a poor design). Don't trust ignorant ***holes like this to even add air to your tires much less fix them.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
A few rules when fixing flats in high performance tires....

1. Absolutely never ever use a plug to fix a flat. You are risking damage to your car if it lets go at speed and maybe even risking your life here.

2. After the tire is patched, it is very important to remember that the tire will now be one speed rating LOWER. Only selected Michilen dealers can repair and maintain speed raitings...SOMETIMES.

3. If you have to put a second patch on a tire, get rid of it.

This advice comes from someone who was in the tire and performance biz for 30+ years.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Exclamation I think it is time...

Are ya beginning to think you should fix your tire a better way yet?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I agree why not take it to Goodyear or somewhere... most of the times if their not busy their glad to do it for free.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:45 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenK

To answer your original question; yes beware of local tires shops or even dealer techs using air rachets only, even if they use torque sticks, your rims should be finished off with a hand held torque wrench. Even if you warn MB dealers to use care not to scratch the rims they'll find a way... I recently had my brakes treated with anti squeal paste (which did nothing BTW) and warned the tech to use great care not to scratch the rims, well he took off small amounts of paint around the lug nut holes on 3 of the 4 rims; I touched them all up wit rim paint and clear coat but upon close inspection it still shows...so much for a $40.00 tip.
Plugs can work and you never have to worry about rim collateral damage but it's really not the best way to repair the tire vs. using an internal patch.

Last edited by RJC; 05-09-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Two tire shops and no luck today!

I went to tire shops today and no luck.

The first was big ten tires, the rep came out looked at it and said no problem we can fix it, but he wanted the manager to look at it, the manager said again no problem we can fix it, but that I would need to sign a waiver about the rim. I asked him why, and he said he didn't want to have to buy me a new rim. I said so you're telling me you are going to damage it then, he said well our equipment is ten years old. I said thanks, but I will try someplace else.

The place he recommended I go was up the street, I stopped there and they said I wouldn't have to worry about the rim they would just plug it. I told them I heard that was not safe, he said it would be ok. I again passed and will try again tomorrow or Wednesday.

Can't believe getting someone to fix a tire without damaging something is that hard to accomplish. We complain about Mercedes Quality, it is spreading.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:52 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Are ya beginning to think you should fix your tire a better way yet?

Nope, if I got a nail in another tire tomorrow I would plug that one as well. The way a tire is constructed their isn't an issue with it. You guys can spend all the money you want, it doesn't bother me. A plug fills the entire hole and bonds with the rubber. How many people have had a plugged tire rip apart because of the plug?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Nope, if I got a nail in another tire tomorrow I would plug that one as well. The way a tire is constructed their isn't an issue with it. You guys can spend all the money you want, it doesn't bother me. A plug fills the entire hole and bonds with the rubber. How many people have had a plugged tire rip apart because of the plug?
It's your life but try not to take out any innocent bystanders when the tire blows at speed.

To answer your last question, thousands of tires come apart everyday due to improper repairs.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:39 PM

2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
I got a tire/wheel warranty that will replace any tire with a nail, or a bent rim. Amazingly, the warranty was only $240.00! (6 year/75000 miles) I have a slow leak in my right rear right now, so I am going to find out how good they are.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:18 AM

C230 coupe 2003, 2014 GLK350, 2020 GLC63
Just to reiterate regarding proper puncture repair, please visit:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=27

Here is an excerpt: "Any repair done without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. Without inspecting the inside of the tire for hidden damage comes the risk of returning a weakened tire to service. Punctures in the tread area that looked repairable have revealed upon further investigation that the object that punctured the tire had been long enough to cut the tire's sidewall from the inside. Without dismounting the tire, the hidden damage would have been missed. Simply "plugging" a tire from the outside without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. (If a tire is punctured while off-roading far away from civilization and a spare tire isn't available, a plug may serve as a temporary low speed solution which must be replaced with a proper repair as soon as possible upon returning to the road.).....

How do you know which procedures a tire dealer uses? Ask them! But be aware that if they say that they can repair a tire in 10 minutes for under $10 dollars without removing it from the wheel, they aren't following the Rubber Manufacturer's Association procedures. A correctly done flat repair that follows the multi-step repair procedures will take approximately 30 minutes and probably cost around $20."

Last edited by REX0000; 05-13-2005 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
It's one of the hazards of owning 18" wheels that the rims can be damaged replacing the tyre. I'm happy to drive 150 miles round trip to get tyres changed because I know the company (for those in the UK: Micheldever Tyres) use state of the art tyre changing equipment and will not damage my rims. As for repairing a tyre, I always replace the tyre, no question.