SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Possible to get run flat tyres?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230
Possible to get run flat tyres?

Hi,

I was wondering. I saw an advert on tv featuring run flat tyres and they seemed a very good idea. It is always a nightmare of mine being caught on a motorway and then getting a puncture and having to change tyres mid motorway. Does anyone know if it is possible to get these on the SL? I think they were goodyear tyres but surely other tyre manufacturers do it as well? Anyone have any idea if you can get them for the SL? Anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by NeilC123
Hi,

I was wondering. I saw an advert on tv featuring run flat tyres and they seemed a very good idea. It is always a nightmare of mine being caught on a motorway and then getting a puncture and having to change tyres mid motorway. Does anyone know if it is possible to get these on the SL? I think they were goodyear tyres but surely other tyre manufacturers do it as well? Anyone have any idea if you can get them for the SL? Anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks.
I had an SC430 Lexus with the run flat tires and the car rode like a tank. I switched to regular tires and it was like a different car; much smoother and better ride and handling. Based on my experience I would stay away from them,
Old 06-09-2005, 02:21 PM

SLK 230
Perhaps they have improved the technology?

Hi,

Did you have that car a long time ago? I would hope they would improve the technology if the ride was that bad?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:32 PM

2003 SL500
One of the "Fifth Gear" programs with Tiff Needell did an evaluation of run-flat tires, I think they used a new (E60) 5-series BMW for it. Don't recall the specifics, but I think they were favourable overall. Might see if you can find that episode somewhere.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by NeilC123
Hi,

Did you have that car a long time ago? I would hope they would improve the technology if the ride was that bad?
:v It was purchased new in May of 2004. The technology still has a long way to go. To make them "run flat" the sidewalls are much more rigid than conventional tires, therefore the harsh ride. In addition, in most cases if you do get a flat it is normally not repairable; kind of a throwaway tire. My neighbor has a BMW Z4 and has picked up nails in her tire twice and in both cases they were not repairable.

Another thing that would keep me away is the ride is not only harsh but when you hit a rut in the road or a pothole the car slams extremely hard. With the "fragile" roofs on the R230 SL's that are prone to rattles, I would only imagine rattles galore.

Last edited by lkirchner; 06-09-2005 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Addition