SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: For LovinSL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Man, I thought I was smart...?
Guess your going to have to change your name to LovinAstonMartin soon!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by matsna
Have you ever considered flying to the UK to take a look at your car being built? Aston Martin allow you to do this to the best of my knowledge. Bit like collecting your car with Mercedes in Germany except you'll see your car!
I am going to England on August 15th to see my car finish production and actually come off the line. I am also going to an Aston Martin Racing Course where professional race car drivers teach you how to drive the car. This is all part of the purchase price of the car.

I should be home by the 22nd and on September 1st I go to another driving course put on by Aston Martin, this time at the Michigan Proving Grounds. When I get home from that I should be able to meet my car from the airport and watch them open the wooden crate.

Should be fun.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 06-28-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wings

Guess your going to have to change your name to LovinAstonMartin soon!
On the Aston Martin Forum it is LovinVanquishS.

These forums are actually part of a club and I am meeting some very nice people. First event is on July 10th.

You guys should think of doing something like this. They are alot of fum.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
I am going to England on August 15th to see my car finish production and actually come off the line. I am also going to an Aston Martin Racing Course where professional race car drivers teach you how to drive the car. This is all part of the purchase price of the car.

I should be home by the 22nd and on September 1st I go to another driving course put on by Aston Martin, this time at the Michigan Proving Grounds. When I get home from that I should be able to meet my car from the airport and watch them open the wooden crate.

She be fun.
Lovin, as our old friend carlosfernandez used to say, "please post pics!"
Old 06-28-2005, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I never knew that there was an Aston Martin Fourm... I was thinking about an Vanq S back in April... but couldn't resist the Spider Could you direct me to it? Thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 PM

Lovin, i remeber you mentioning something about a 2008 Vanquish as well. You aren't going to sell the 2006 when the 2008 arrives?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by v8plus4
Lovin, as our old friend carlosfernandez used to say, "please post pics!"
Yeah... What happen to our friend Carlos?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up Not sure just yet...

Originally Posted by pimpitcharlie
Lovin, i remeber you mentioning something about a 2008 Vanquish as well. You aren't going to sell the 2006 when the 2008 arrives?
Well, the new redo of the Vanquish for 2008 is now 2009 and while I would always sell my car for the next, this one I am not sure.

They are going to a V-H platform instead of the tub and it will interesting to see if they can get the same ride comfort out of a V-H platform. Clearly the car will be more techniloically advanced but I am not sure as good in terms of ride comfort.

I believe this type car may turn out to be a classic so I am not selling it so quickly.

We will see as time goes by but it does become less and less likely as I learn more about things.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up Yes and it is very active...

Originally Posted by NOTKTS
I never knew that there was an Aston Martin Fourm... I was thinking about an Vanq S back in April... but couldn't resist the Spider Could you direct me to it? Thanks
Yes, there is a very active forum both for posting and events sponsored by the Aston Martin Owners Club. You need to either be a member of the Club or you can be a registered user through EZBoard.

The quickest way is to register with EZBoard and then pick the Aston Martin Owners Club forum to link up to.

Here is the link to EZBoard.

http://p088.ezboard.com/BBSSystem.ha...k?action=login

You won't be able to get to all the forum topics as you have to be a member of AMOC for that but there are tons of topics you can post to regardless. You will also be able to start your own threads in most areas.

Have fun.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CASL55
Actually, I do claim some expertise in this field. While I was trained as an electrical engineer, I spent 6 years in the 90s as an IBM Fellow working as a color scientist at the Almaden Research Center... Jim
Jim, I am very impressed by your credentials. I hope I didn't appear too presumptive. My research background is in cancer research from the immunological angle. What I have learned about the workings of the human eye is purely from hobbies.

With apologies to Bill Clinton, it depends on what you mean by “looks like.” I can’t know what sensations occur in your brain when you see a particular Pantone chip, ... I can tell you the (chemically-controlled) spectral response of each of the three types of cones in your eye, of the rods in your eye, .... This surprising result is the basis for the CIE 1931 standard observer that I mentioned in a previous post. Jim
Yes, I agree our responses to color is consistent but as Bill Clinton might want to add, the way we interpret and perceive what we see might be quite different - regardless of how consistent we are in our perceptions. I suspect our perceptions likely also fit a bell-curve distribution.

While driving at night, you use the cones as well as the rods (if you can see colors, your cones are working). The rods sensitivity exceeds that of the cones at all wavelengths shorter than 670nm, which is well into the red. So, if you can see any color besides a dim red, your rods are being excited, and you won’t be able to see dim objects (say, objects that are illuminated only by starlight.) I don’t agree that only objects that are very close to the vehicle are bright enough to affect your dark adaptation. I think that just the lights reflected from the empty road is enough to diminish your ability to see dim objects. Jim
Bright reflections from the road should impair night vision. I don't have the data but I believe the degree of disturbance of night vision varies with the intensity of the spectral image. Meaning, your night vision will recover more quickly if the spectral disturbance was not very bright whereas a very bright spectral image will completely blind your night vision for a significant period and would be very dangerous. One way to maintain your night vision is to constantly move your eyes and not rest it on one spot especially if it is pretty bright. As a good driver you will always be checking your surroundings anyway so you protect your night vision that way.

I see we have a disagreement on the philosophy of night illumination for driving. Here I claim no particular expertise, but I do have lay opinions. You aren’t English, are you? I say that because many English seem to agree with you. I spent a lot of time in England in the 70s, and I never could get used to the idea of driving with “dipped headlamps.” I think the new xenon headlights are a great thing. You must think they’re a step backwards. While I disagree with your way of looking at things, I can’t say your approach is wrong. Jim
I am not a professional driver either. I was educated in the English tradition but am not English. Still, maybe I can offer a possible explanation of why some people prefer dipped illumination. In countries where the roads tend to be narrower and often lined with hedges, fences and walls the reflection of headlights off these surfaces really disturb one's night vision and it doesn't help night driving at all. In Europe, houses usually come right up to the sidewalk - not at all the case in North America. However, when you are in open areas where there is no street lighting or oncoming traffic I agree it is better to switch to your highbeams and just be careful not to get "tunnel vision" by staring too much into the bright centre of what's in front. I generally like the Xenons but there are the odd situations when the cut-off appears too sharp, potentially affecting night vision. The roads are wide and houses set back from the road where I live.

Actually, with great respect, I can't say you are doing wrong by yourself either as I don't know your experiences and road conditions. I am simply offering my experiences and logic.

With respect to old folks and night vision, both their rods and cones are affected. Jim
With glaucoma your peripheral (hence night) vision goes first.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Wow, this thread has been 'eye-jacked'.

Last edited by v8plus4; 06-30-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:23 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
To Reno

This has been great fun. Thanks.

I'm done with it, though

Jim
Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by v8plus4
Wow, this thread has been 'eye-jacked'.
I apologize if you and others found this distracting. Some newsgroups use a "lounge" area for such discussions.

I appreciate Jim's knowledge and openness to debate. I've learned quite a bit from his input. Thanks Jim.