SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Would you want Comand Idrive in your SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Would you want Comand Idrive in your SL?

I have been trying to understand the German infatuation with "Idrive". Is this something you guys would want in your SL?
I have been trying to figure out why they feel the consumer needs it. Afterall how many functions do you need in a car? Why cram into a stupid GUI with a knob? I dont see any new features added with BMW's retarded system. If these systems were ground breaking and made driving easier then I could see the reason for it to be added.
To me is just seems like they crammed all the features that would have seperate controls into one box. Yet they still have seperate buttons for the A/C controls as well. Isnt that redundant?
If these GUI systems were so cutting edge why hasn't Lexus adopted them or Infiniti? BMW's system has been out for 4 years now and it gets hammered in every review I have ever read. Yet they push forward with each model.
Its apparant MB's plan is the same as BMW's, every model will eventually get the cutting edge knob.
I look at my w140 and compare it to the W221 and dont really see why such a complicated menu system is needed. Afterall the only features the 221 has that the 140 doesnt are NAV, bluetooth, and ventilated seats . Features that good ole buttons do in the last S (w220) just fine (sans bluetooth).

I look at the SL and see a car that has had its share of quirks and can't imagine how much worse it will be adding a Idrive based system. I know most of the bugs have been worked out of the SL so why add fuel to the fire with a complex options controller?

Mercedes is going away from what drew me to the brand has teenager. Those things being, HIGH quality, incredible reliabilty, excellent durability, and prestige. I think that the people running the company are out in left field right now. It seems there only concern is rushing to the market cutting edge technology that isnt ready for prime-time.
Do they really think if they made cars of the same level of quality of 20 years ago people wouldnt buy them? I can read the review if they did "Mercedes has dont it again, the new S is solid and rich with luxury but not burdened with needless knobs as the BMW 7 series. The S has a struck a balance with technology and luxury. Mercedes has proven again they are the leader in the luxury car segment"...
Instead it will read like this " What were these guys thinking? Did they even LOOK at a 7 series? Oh wait they did , since it looks like they copied the interior, oh and couldnt leave out the precious "knob" so as to make driving just as frustrating as BMW has. "

I love my Sl and pray that the IDrive stays out.. If you recall the old Sl never got any of the cutting edge technology that the other models had in the same years it was built (nav, ventilated seats etc... ) . Maybe that means the same for the current SL... let pray it does.. Id hate to see such a wonderful car turned into a turd.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
I guess i have to disagree with you about I drive. I have found it quite easy to use actually, and I like the lack of clutter buttons (see SL dash). In fact, I liked it so much, I bought the new 750Li when it came out this year. Have you tried it for an extended period of time? With the exception of the nav, most of the function there are used only seldom, and it gets rid of all that clutter. To each his own. On the practical poin, i don't wnow where it would go in an SL...and i wouldn't want to lose the shift lever.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I would like the I drive. But if I had choice, I would perfer bluetooth.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I would like the I drive. But if I had choice, I would perfer bluetooth.
I drive and Bluetooth are not related. Both are available on BMW's now.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
The I drive and bluetooth being related or not is not the point. I think if the I drive as a mouse/joy stick for cars. But I wish Mercedes got bluetooth working before they even tought of the I drive.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
The I drive and bluetooth being related or not is not the point. I think if the I drive as a mouse/joy stick for cars. But I wish Mercedes got bluetooth working before they even tought of the I drive.
Ahhh, sorry. I misunderstood what you were saying. I totally agree with you!