SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: StephenK and RadSteve, the answer to your prayers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
StephenK and RadSteve, the answer to your prayers...

Gentlemen,

IMHO, this is the best option for both your cars. Will look absolutely gorgeous, especially if you get them in the SL65 color which is hyperblack. You can also get them in the regular silver color. They are 19" inch wheels so you would have to replace your tires which you should do anyway as the Michelin Pilot sports are much better.

Happy hunting...
Attached Thumbnails StephenK and RadSteve, the answer to your prayers...-sl65_main.jpg   StephenK and RadSteve, the answer to your prayers...-rim.jpg  
Old 07-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Yep

I have them on my SL55 in the silver color. They look way cool.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2005, 02:35 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Gentlemen,

IMHO, this is the best option for both your cars. Will look absolutely gorgeous, especially if you get them in the SL65 color which is hyperblack. You can also get them in the regular silver color. They are 19" inch wheels so you would have to replace your tires which you should do anyway as the Michelin Pilot sports are much better.

Happy hunting...
There are Michelin Pilot sports on there now actually, but of course only18"
Old 07-04-2005, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RadSteve
There are Michelin Pilot sports on there now actually, but of course only18"
Funny how you got the Michelin's and StephenK did not.

Wonder why?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Funny how you got the Michelin's and StephenK did not.

Wonder why?
After i looked at StephnK's post i had to go back and look again at my tires...yes mine ARE Michelin Pilot sports...that is totally bizarre. So you think those are relaly that much different from the Pirelli's? I had the Pilot Sport's on my old roadster and liked them very much, so I'm familiar with them, but not with the Pirelli's.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:08 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts
Thumbs up

Love Pilot's, had them on many cars even from way back when the MXX3 first came out. My 04 CLK500 came with Pirelli P Zero's so I had the dealer switch rims and tires from another new 500 that had Pilot's. I recently was in the market for the new '05+ AMG wheels; I wanted direct take off's from an 05 and insisted they had Pilot's.

MB uses a few brands of tires, as of late the most commom seems to be Michelin, Pirelli, and Conti's with the Michelin's being the most expensive. The guy's on the E55 section don't have the kindest words for the new Conti Sport 2's but they all seem to love the new Pilot PS2's.

Last edited by RJC; 07-04-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After i looked at StephnK's post i had to go back and look again at my tires...yes mine ARE Michelin Pilot sports...that is totally bizarre. So you think those are relaly that much different from the Pirelli's? I had the Pilot Sport's on my old roadster and liked them very much, so I'm familiar with them, but not with the Pirelli's.
Pirelli makes a nice tire. If you are talking ride comfort and stability, nothing compares to the Michelin Pilot Sport. If you put on either Conti's or Pirelli's you would be able to tell the difference. The Pirelli's are much better than the Conti's.

Amazes me the cars were built so close together yet they have different tires. I know Mercedes uses all three depending on which is the best deal at the time but just surprised they could be so close and yet have different tires.

Something in my head is telling me that they only rotate between the Michelin's and the Pirelli's on the SL600's but when it comes to the SL500's that the Conti's are part of the rotation.

I remember when my SL600 was coming in I had the dealer order a set of Michelin Pilot Sports just in case the Pirelli's came with the care. I wouldn't have taken the car with the Pirelli's. That is when I believe they told me I had a one in two chance, not a one in three like on the SL500's.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 07-04-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:55 PM

Bridgestone

I have to say that I got the Bridgestone RE050s on the 19" AMGs. They're the only tires you're supposed to use with the 19's especially if you plan to de-restrict (which I don't). Anyway, ride quality and noise are fantastic as well as grip.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the new Pilot Sports. On a previous BMW, I had the Pilots and they were quite hard and noisy, but I'm sure they've improved a lot since 1994.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jeffreyy
I have to say that I got the Bridgestone RE050s on the 19" AMGs. They're the only tires you're supposed to use with the 19's especially if you plan to de-restrict (which I don't). Anyway, ride quality and noise are fantastic as well as grip.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the new Pilot Sports. On a previous BMW, I had the Pilots and they were quite hard and noisy, but I'm sure they've improved a lot since 1994.

Jeff
Bridgestone actually make a great tire. I believe Ferarri's have Bridgestone but I am not positive. I know I asked my Aston Martin dealer about Bridgestone for my Vanquish S but unfortunately they have specially made and sized tires for the car by Yokohama. Go figure.

It is my understanding that Bridgestones are great for reducing road noise.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:16 PM

It is my understanding that Bridgestones are great for reducing road noise.
Yep. They're quiet alright. Surprising that actually now that you mention it, I don't even think I hear much of any road noise. Mainly engine. I deflate a little bit to 31/32 rather than 35/36 as the factory suggests. You'd never know there were 30 series tires on the car. Basically, no road noise at all and a nice ride. ABC is awesome.

Once the tires heat up a little they're at 34/35 psi according to the TPM. I would like to put Nitrogen in, then I think i could start with a higher base pressure. Nitrogen expands less so there is less pressure swing between hot and cold.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffreyy; 07-04-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:35 PM

I know I asked my Aston Martin dealer about Bridgestone for my Vanquish S but unfortunately they have specially made and sized tires for the car by Yokohama. Go figure.
BTW, I saw a AM in Monaco. Whoa! What a beautiful shape. Very nice exterior detailing. Much more of a single piece look than the SL. Of course, it doesn't have the drop top, but still, I'm sure your AM will be gorgeous.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails StephenK and RadSteve, the answer to your prayers...-am.jpg  
Old 07-05-2005, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW, I saw a AM in Monaco. Whoa! What a beautiful shape. Very nice exterior detailing. Much more of a single piece look than the SL. Of course, it doesn't have the drop top, but still, I'm sure your AM will be gorgeous.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. That is actually a picture of a DB9. Mine will be the Vanquish S which has the same kind of look yet more muscular. Has more hand made shaping in the body.

Same single piece look which can only be accomplished by being hand made.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
The vanquish looks much fuller than the DB9. Looks better you know, the DB9 is sexy, but the Vanquish is Adraina Lima.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:13 AM

Thanks Jeff. That is actually a picture of a DB9. Mine will be the Vanquish S which has the same kind of look yet more muscular. Has more hand made shaping in the body.

Same single piece look which can only be accomplished by being hand made.
Oh, yes I know it's a DB9. I haven't seen a Vanquish S yet in real life.

J
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
When I took delivery on my car my SA came out to look at it as well - she's become a good friend.

She remarked that I had the Michelin's on my car - which was good. She then told us - per what other's have said here too - that MB has several tires they put on the car from the factory. What you get is based upon what is in supply at the time of your build and not relevant to what is listed in the brochure for the car.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:25 AM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Nitrogen expands less so there is less pressure swing between hot and cold.Jeff
What makes you think so?

Ideal gas law: P*V=n*R*T, Where P=pressure, V=volume, n=number of moles present, R=universal gas constant, and T=temperature.

For a given amount of any gas, n and R are constants, so put them both on one side of the equation and you have: P*V/T=n*R.

So, for the same amount of any gas at two different temps, volumes and pressures: P1*V1/T1=P2*V2/T2.

Jim
Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CASL55
What makes you think so?

Ideal gas law: P*V=n*R*T, Where P=pressure, V=volume, n=number of moles present, R=universal gas constant, and T=temperature.

For a given amount of any gas, n and R are constants, so put them both on one side of the equation and you have: P*V/T=n*R.

So, for the same amount of any gas at two different temps, volumes and pressures: P1*V1/T1=P2*V2/T2.

Jim
Nitrogen Instead of Air
Nitrogen is a dry, inert, non-flammable, enviromentally friendly gas used for years to inflate airplane tires, off-road truck tires, military vehicle tires, and race car tires for improved performance. Compressed nitrogen contains less moisture than compressed air. When the tire heats up, moisture in the tire vaporizes and expands, causing the pressure inside the tire to increase. Even small changes in tire pressure can noticeably affect the handling of the car. By using nitrogen instead of air, race car teams have more control over how much the pressure will increase when the tires heat up.

Nitrogen Tire Filling Benefits...
Nitrogen permeates through the tire 3 to 4 times slower than oxygen - tires maintain pressure longer for better fuel economy, better tire life, and increased safety.
Nitrogen reduces oxidation to tire rubber and rims caused by oxygen in standard compressed air.
Nitrogen filled tires run about 20% cooler than tires filled with standard compressed air - tires last longer.

http://www.talontire.com/nitrogen.html
Old 07-05-2005, 02:21 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Jeff, with all due respect. There is some stuff in here that makes sense, but there’s a lot of garbage.

Compressed nitrogen contains less moisture than compressed air.
This is more a function of the pressure to which the gas is compressed than the gas itself. Gas compressed to a higher pressure can support less dissolved water vapor. It is also a function of whether the gas is dried after compression. Undried compressed air distribution systems are filled with air saturated with water at the temperature and pressure of the containment vessel. At a constant temperature, one cubic foot container of air at atmospheric pressure can hold the same amount of water vapor as a one cubic foot container of air at 3000 psi. Thus, when you compress air, water comes out. The more you compress it, the more water comes out. When you expand the air back to lower pressure, you get drier air than you started out with. Scuba divers are familiar with the dry mouth that results from breathing compressed air. So, while it may be true that the nitrogen you get in your tires is drier on average than the air you get in your tires, it’s not because nitrogen is essentially drier than air, it’s because of differences in the way the nitrogen got made and compressed compared to the average low-pressure, high-temperature, undried tire compressor.

When the tire heats up, moisture in the tire vaporizes and expands, causing the pressure inside the tire to increase.
There will only be condensed water in your tires if you filled them with hot air from a compressor with low pressure and no dryer, and now they’re cool.

Nitrogen permeates through the tire 3 to 4 times slower than air
For the purposes of this discussion, let’s accept this as true, even though I don’t know it to be so. Say you fill you tires with air, which is roughly 4/5 nitrogen and 1/5 oxygen. After a while, most of the oxygen is gone (leaked out through the tire), while most of the nitrogen stays. You top it off. The process repeats itself. Pretty soon your tires are filled almost entirely with nitrogen.

Nitrogen reduces oxidation to tire rubber and rims caused by oxygen in standard compressed air.
This makes perfect sense to me.

Nitrogen filled tires run about 20% cooler than tires filled with standard compressed air
I can’t figure out why this should be true. Can anyone enlighten me?

BTW, a lot of the sites that I visited make the point that [big] airplanes use nitrogen in their tires. I suspect that the reason that they do so not only worries about oxidation, but also that anybody involved with aviation doesn’t want anything that supports combustion better than air (and compressed air supports combustion better than uncompressed air) tucked up in the wheel wells of their planes.

There is a lot of money to be made in selling equipment to fill tires with nitrogen. There is money to be made in charging consumers for filling their tires with nitrogen. Therefore, there is a lot of money to be made in convincing people that nitrogen is a good thing. The N2 hype machine is operating effectively. There look to be some advantages: lower oxidation, perhaps lower leakage. But, in spite of web sites that say things like “nitrogen doesn’t expand or contract with temperature” (http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index.../14872995.cfm), with respect to obeying the ideal gas law when used to inflate tires, nitrogen and oxygen are essentially identical.

It’s a fascinating story of science meeting marketing. Marketing is winning.

Jim
Old 07-05-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gunther
When I took delivery on my car my SA came out to look at it as well - she's become a good friend.

She remarked that I had the Michelin's on my car - which was good. She then told us - per what other's have said here too - that MB has several tires they put on the car from the factory. What you get is based upon what is in supply at the time of your build and not relevant to what is listed in the brochure for the car.
Isn't that weird. By the way TPMS does not display the tire pressure from what I can read in the owner's manual, and when I pushed lots of buttons trying to get it to do it based on older manual instructions...now it's just an idiot light to tell you there is a problem with a tire...not even WHICH ONE, from what I can read! Anyone know any more about this?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
CostCo fills your tires with nitrogen for free. It's lighter IIRC then the same amount of oxygen.

Or something like that.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question No, I refuse to believe this...

Isn't that weird. By the way TPMS does not display the tire pressure from what I can read in the owner's manual, and when I pushed lots of buttons trying to get it to do it based on older manual instructions...now it's just an idiot light to tell you there is a problem with a tire...not even WHICH ONE, from what I can read! Anyone know any more about this?
I can't believe they would have eliminated the TMPS from 2005. In my 2005 SL600 you could move the buttons on the steering wheel and get the read out below. Is it possible they eliminated this...that would be really poor? I thought this was a great featrue.
Attached Thumbnails StephenK and RadSteve, the answer to your prayers...-tire-pressure-monitoring-476x357.jpg  
Old 07-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

I hated TMPS because it never works.

Always telling me to Visit workshop.

I HATE THE WORKSHOP, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I hated TMPS because it never works.

Always telling me to Visit workshop.

I HATE THE WORKSHOP, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!!
I had problems in the beginning and then found out they had an updated module. One they replaced the module it worked perfectly.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Oh our works fine. It's the weather in Houston that sucks. And we park in an air conditioned garage at home and at work. So whenever you're on the road, you'll get an error. Of if you calibrate it for the road, you'll get an error in the garage.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Tpms

Mine works fine. The only drag is it likes a higher base pressure than I like to run at, so it complains about that on occassion.

Jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: StephenK and RadSteve, the answer to your prayers...