Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by LVDell
**UPDATE....need input**

Ok, so here's were I am at regarding purchasing a new R230:

Dealership called today and asked if I was still interested in a new SL and I told them that I was probably going to wait till next spring before I buy a new one. They said that they had plenty of inventory right now that they would like to move and that I can get in the car below invoice.

I told them I would come in (I went ahead and made an appt with my sales guy) and talk and go over what they have.

So, a couple questions for those of you in the know:

1. What is invoice on this car? I have looked on MSN autos but I am looking for numbers from those in the know. Also, anyway to know what the dealer is "into" the car financialy? I mean I really want the best price possible without looking like a jackass trying to "steal" the car.

2. Before options, what would you offer to pay for a new SL and what is reasonable to ask for discounts numbers on options? Just trying to compute the cost of the car (dealer cost + options cost + small profit).

3. Any deal breakers that I should be aware of?

Thanks again all for entertaining my questions! Hope to be a part of the SL club soon.
Check out Kelley Blue Book at kbb.com

You can price out new cars with options, and see the dealer invoice as well as retail. It does not take dealer hold-back into account, but if you can get the car with the options you want below invoice, that would be a good deal.

Edmunds.com and nada.com also have this feature.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks V8! I check those sites as well.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:45 PM

Well I just got back from the dealer and here is what happened:

1. My sales guy offered 7% off sticker on ANY of the SL's on the lot that were an 05.

2. They had 8 or 9 but none of them had the options combination I would have liked. Either that were just bone stock with NO options or they had options that I would never have picked.

So......I passed on getting one. I told him that I didn't want to drop that kinda coin on a car to only wake up the next day regretting my purchase thinking "I really wish I had got 'x' option(s)". He said to just order an 06 the way I want but I told him I was either buying an 05 at a great deal or waiting for the 07 with 382hp! He said see you next year and I left.

I have a call into my Mom's dealer that she has a great relationship with and I am just waiting on inventory descriptions before I up close up shop for a year.

Any thoughts? Advice? Input?

Thanks again all!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Suprising

I am surprised that for a vehicle purchase like this a "DEAL" is so important to you. We are each different, but if I like something I just buy it. Buy an 05 if you like it and want something different buy an 07 when they come out. It's only money, you can't take it with you.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:56 PM

It has nothing to do with the DEAL and everything to do with the principle and my desire to own the car. Why should I buy an 05 that is not how I would want it? If that is the case then order it the way I want it correct? True. But, why in the world would I waste money? The whole "you can't take it with you" way of thinking is selfish. Do you not think about taking care of your family (wife, kids, etc.) when you go?

I have no desire to get into a personal ethics debate with you and totally respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.

If I am going to pay MSRP for a SL then I will wait till the spring and buy the 07 with 382 horses EXACTLY the way I want it. But if I can get an 05 at $7-10K off sticker then I would be crazy not to give it serious thought if it is in the correct color/option combo. Don't you agree? We don't have the financial portfolios we do b/c we throw money away and burn it in the fireplace now do we?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Sticker on my car was 94k, I paid 84k.
At this point in the year you should be able to get at least 12k off.
I know that when they sell an SL they get better allocations on the cheaper models.. Believe me, they will give you a smoking deal on the 05.

I think the 2007 will come much sooner than later, I bet we see it in the spring of 06. From what I have read in the Euro mags the revisions (motor, bumpers) will be released at the first of the year for Europe.

Dont think that the dealers will be stingy on deals for the 2007 models.
A new motor and new bumper is not going to set the market on fire for Sl's.

If my dealer wont give me a similer deal on the 07 as I got on the 05 Ill just order a CLS55 or CLS63.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM

I figured as much. I was shooting for at least $10K off so I wasn't to impressed by the $6-7K off deal. Basically said he was offering it at invoice plus options (which was true) but we didn't even get into dealer holdbacks, etc.

Can't imagine ANY dealer wants to sit on an 05 with 06's on the lot.

Thanks for the inpiut LB, much appreciated!
Old 07-27-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I suspect that the introduction of the new engine will re-ignite interest in (and sales of) the SL500. Remember all the great reviews of the R230 when it was introduced? It will happen again-- the mags will be saying that the difference between the old SL500 and the new one (0-60 times in the 5s rather than the 6s) is like night and day.

My advice to you is to wait. You don't need the car now and will be disappointed 9 months from now if you buy the '05. Get the one you want. The '07.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 PM

Thanks Jack.....I am almost hoping they don't offer me a better deal tomorrow when we chat again so I can just get the 07 and put this behind me and know what my decision is going to be.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
Talking pricing

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thanks Jack.....I am almost hoping they don't offer me a better deal tomorrow when we chat again so I can just get the 07 and put this behind me and know what my decision is going to be.
i just have to say, although i feel like a brother to you steve, the deal i get is almost as important as the car i drive. in the past, i have walked away from certain brands because they would not discount off sticker. i will never pay over sticker. i don't know how much more time the GOOD LORD has rationed to me on this earth, but part of the enjoyment of my new car comes fromthe killer deal i made on it.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Wow...this is a great thread. I've recently been thinking about purchasing a new SL500 as well, and reading that the new engine and design is just about a year or so away....thats not far considering the life span of a car design and $$$$$.

I do wonder though if the new SL would really re-ignite the interest...hmmm.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redbrick
Wow...this is a great thread. I've recently been thinking about purchasing a new SL500 as well, and reading that the new engine and design is just about a year or so away....thats not far considering the life span of a car design and $$$$$.

As long as the new SL has tighter panel gaps, better quality and some how makes the dealers give decent service...
Old 08-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by redbrick

I don't think an all-new design is due for a few more years. A slight facelift is due, probably later this year or next.