SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: color question...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
you're thinking right

Originally Posted by david_101
thank you for your advice about keyless for the SL and the positive RR testimonial.

earlier today, i located just the right SL -- diamond silver, keyless, comfort, bixenons, and i think another option -- at just the right price, with fewer than 10k miles. catch is it's a MY2004...but with just the right combo. so, i EMed and am awaiting a reply with CARFAX report and build date.

regarding the SUV, that's next up. the MB G truly is an undercarriage tank. but, like your RR, not impervious to hazards. while spending far more time in the NE, i was at my then favorite dealer looking over the new line-up, which included the G. my tech advisor and pal walked me back to service to look at a G in for service. he said that although the thing is tough, the client had managed to BEND an axle and do other damage down below. he said they were all surprised because they'd never before seen a G with THAT damage, and they couldn't believe it'd happened. so, i'm not surprised that, insofar as your experience is concerned, someone actually trying to exceed limits managed to do so.

as for RR reliability you noted, that must be an endorsement that the G could only hope to receive. but isn't true that into the 2000s, RR was not considered so reliable?

looking forward to your reply.

david
i agree 82,000 or less is the right number. the 6's are out there, so you should be able to wheel and deal. i was looking for an '04 because of the free maintenance, but the deal on my '05 was one i couldn't refuse. yes, i would heartily recommend the range rover for rugged reliability. i became disenchanted with the service fro the local dealer, but after using it for 7 or 8 years, i then allowed an employee to use it for customer service. he did trash it (literally) and it broke my heart. i think the bad rep came from the cheaper land rover version they came out with. the negatives i recall were, the air conditioning was really weak. in mexico this was a big thing. i always wished it had more speed. maybe the new supercharged model will overcome that problem. lastly, corners at speed, even on the highway was always something i concentrated on. it felt very top heavy. these are the negatives. eveything else was top rate.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by david_101
i'm torn between the MY2005 G55 and MY2006 rover sport supercharged.

i admit grudgingly that i'd prefer the G55, but practicality may dictate the rover. that's unless you all convince me to stick with the MB.
I have a problem with a government owning a business. The Chinese government is purchasing range Rover. http://autoclan.com/Rover

SAIC considering legal action over failed MG-Rover bid: report (AFP via Yahoo! News)
Chinese car maker Shanghai Automotive Investment Company (SAIC) is considering legal action to halt the sale of the collapsed British car firm MG-Rover to Chinese rival Nanjing, a British newspaper reported.
Ex-Rover bidder eyes legal action (CNN.com)
The MG Rover factory in Birmingham, England.
Rover bidder considers legal action (Stuff)
LONDON: Shanghai Automotive Corp, the Chinese carmaker that lost out on Friday in the bidding process for Britain's MG Rover, said on Sunday it was considering a legal challenge to the administrator's decision to sell Rover to compatriot Nanjing Automobile.
Nanjing's MG Rover Acquisition May Upgrade Brand (The Auto Channel)
July 23 (Bloomberg) -- Nanjing Automobile Group Corp.'s acquisition of bankrupt U.K. carmaker MG Rover Group Ltd. may help the state-owned Chinese producer upgrade its technology and raise its brand profile, said Graeme Maxton, director at the Economist Intelligence Unit in Hong Kong.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 07-24-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I have a problem with a government owning a business. The Chinese government is purchasing range Rover. http://autoclan.com/Rover
Land Rover, the manufacturer of the Range Rover, is owned by Ford. It is not part of the MG Rover Group.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL65
tandan...

thanks for the info. it's really appreciated.