SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: how to get rid of haze and mini scratches?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to get rid of haze and mini scratches?

I have a black SL for about a year now. I have been takeing to the car wash a-lot about once a week and i have started knowing haze and little scratches are on my car. Does anyone know how to get rid of them what is the best way? How much is it to re-paint SL's using mercedes factory paint anyway?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Clay-bar it, then polish, then wax. Check out the products at www.griotsgarage.com.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:31 PM

No need for a re-paint. Very easy to do yourself or professionaly. Clay bar, paint cleaner, and fine scratch remover does wonders.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Tico
I have a black SL for about a year now. I have been takeing to the car wash a-lot about once a week and i have started knowing haze and little scratches are on my car. Does anyone know how to get rid of them what is the best way? How much is it to re-paint SL's using mercedes factory paint anyway?
You probably have the ceramiclear paint on your SL. To remove the car wash scratches and the haze you are going to need to polish the car. As someone else recommended clay the car first and then polish the scratches out. I would not waste my time on the Griots polish; it will not be effective on the ceramiclear paint. The only things on the market today that are formulated for use on this finish are the Menzerna polishes. You will have to use a buffer to effectively use these products. After you have polished out the scratches, apply a good sealant; Zaino as an example or a good carnuba wax.

After you have gone through this laborious task, whatever you do don't take the car through a car wash as you will only get the small scratches all over again.