SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Canadian conversion: Could you recommend a dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian conversion: Could you recommend a dealer?

I have been lurking for the past few weeks, and I greatly appreciate this site and its wealth of information for a prospective buyer like me.

I have decided to buy a new SL600. In view of the highly favorable exchange rate, buying it in the USA, I would save about 25K$. The car would need minor modifications to be registered in Canada, namely running day lights and metric speedo/odometer. I understand the first item is programmable. However, the speedo/odometer conversion entails physical replacement in the instrument cluster.

I hope it is appropriate to ask this question on this forum. Could you please recommend a dealer I can buy the car from who would do this mod. Since I also want to do the Renntech engine/trany mod, it would have to be someone who can also do that without warranty hassles. Such dealer needs to be conveniently located in the north east ( within a thousand miles from Montreal)

I would appreciate hearing from any canadians who went this route.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:59 AM

something fast
I know a good dealer in the northeast, check your pm.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Now you are forgetting one of the most important things; you warranty. Doing so could put you of US warranty, you won't have Canadian, and leave you with the very limited shorter term international warranty only. And that is prior to you starting your mods. And I do hope that in your savings calculations you included the tax issues you might face when registering the car.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your replies. I understand the warranty issues with Renntech, but I am actually looking for a dealer who will continue to honor the warranty despite that mod. After all the dealers do not lose money on warranty work. (It is paid for by MB, at least in Canada.)

I do not believe that changing the speedo/odo or having Canadian registration should affect the US warranty, after all they go by VIN number. Is there any other reason for losing the US warranty. And I wouldn't mind doing the warranty work in the US, after all I am only 40 miles away from the border.

The tax situation is not that tough. I will have to pay 6% customs because the car is not of North American origin, plus fedral and provincial sales tax, which I would have to pay anyway on the higher priced Canadian car.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Actually I believe you better do some more research on this. You got 2 different warranties, US and Canadian, both of which are different. You live in another country and plan to register your car there. MBUSA and MBCANADA are 2 seperate entities. There origins trace to the same HQ but that is about it. Remember that you are planning on doing a conversion prior to mods. I have a feeling that you will be caught in between. $0.02